Attn: AT Pro Owners...I would like your input please

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a new AT Pro yesterday. Put it all together and was able to get a few swings with it before it got to dark out.

My questions and concerns (so far) is the fact it is waterproof. As you can see in the pictures, where I believe the speaker is (bottom of control box), it bulges out in the center and far from flush with the surface in the areas between the screws.
Also the battery compartment door concerns me as it also doesn't lay flush with the surface when locked in place, but I'm sure the rubber sealer is doing its job(?)Even where the locks lock into place with the battery door on the top and bottom look to me as "this cant be water tight"

Call me paranoid, but I would like to know if other's control boxes have these same "bulging's" (at the speaker), and not laying flat to the surface when battery door is locked in place.
These just dont look right to me and I am really leary to get this in water.

Thanks 20160707_075452.jpg 20160707_075617.jpg 20160707_075656.jpg

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked mine and it is the same way and I used it in the water about 2 weeks ago. I don't think you should have any problem with it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't take ATP out of hot car and into water and you might be fine. :laughing7:

Last edited:

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember that whenever you see reports of a waterproof detector having leaking problems (and every brand has some examples), you are seeing a distilled concentration of problems. You do not see the thousands and thousands of people who have been using their AT Pro in and out of the water for years without a single problem (like me).

If your AT Pro does have any problems, Garrett will fix or replace under warranty. They are widely known for excellent warranty service. Happy hunting!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine leaked in the rain (batt compartment). Garrett says to grease the O ring to prevent this.

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the responses. Lots of good responses and advice. Since a few said theirs looked like this (gaps and bulges), I guess I am ok. Just doesn't look right to me. Amazing the water manages to stay out with the warpness I am seeing.

Thanks for the reply's

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember that whenever you see reports of a waterproof detector having leaking problems (and every brand has some examples), you are seeing a distilled concentration of problems. You do not see the thousands and thousands of people who have been using their AT Pro in and out of the water for years without a single problem (like me).

If your AT Pro does have any problems, Garrett will fix or replace under warranty. They are widely known for excellent warranty service. Happy hunting!

This is so true.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to use silicone grease on seals.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks fine to me, the speaker grille is probably just out of spec. Make sure your machine is under warranty before you dunk that thing!

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to use silicone grease on seals.

I am going to get a small tube of silicone sometime down the road. Any idea if Garrett recommends a certain brand, or do you have a suggestion as to a good brand?

Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to get a small tube of silicone sometime down the road. Any idea if Garrett recommends a certain brand, or do you have a suggestion as to a good brand?

Thanks
Silicone is Silicone. DON'T use silicone caulk like one guy on Tnet. I don't know if hr was ever able to change his batteries. Tesoro ships Silicone grease with their water detectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silicone is Silicone. DON'T use silicone caulk like one guy on Tnet. I don't know if hr was ever able to change his batteries.

Thank you.
I have never used or have had the need to have the stuff around...so a little un-knowledgeable about the stuff. :)

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The battery compartment knob does sit out with a slight gap. Mine does as well. This is normal because it springs forward slightly so the gasket sits snug and seals the compartment.

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The battery compartment knob does sit out with a slight gap. Mine does as well. This is normal because it springs forward slightly so the gasket sits snug and seals the compartment.

Thank you for letting me know this is normal. :)

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The battery plug with latch will not fit flush if it is put in there upside down. It has happend to me before. best,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread