Is the ATX any good for coin hunting?

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently hunt with an AT Pro. I have found some good stuff with it, but the itch and thought that I might be missing stuff kills me.

I also purchased a GTI2500 to see if it would be beneficial, but I do not like the machine and haven't found a single thing with it- granted I am going over the same spots I have hunted with the AT-Pro, and haven't spent much time with it..but it just doesn't rub me the right way.

I have a chance to buy an ATX Deep seeker package, claimed like new- for about $17xx shipped. Curious if I should try it, since it works on a completely method than the ATP or GTi.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
First of all, the GTI 2500 is a very deep metal detector when used in true all metal mode, ground balanced. Probably, the reason you didn't get any coins detecting where the AT Pro hunted, was simply because there weren't any coins left to be found. Coins have their limits for a variety of reasons as to how deep they will go.

Now, second of all, the ATX is a VERY deep metal detector and will pick up the tiniest of targets. The problem is, is that it picks up all conductive targets, with limited ability to use discrimination. So, using the ATX in parks, many sports fields is a lesson in frustration. You will be digging up every staple, nail, bottle cap, piece of foil and other junk.

Now, on the plus side.......if you are hunting an area not so trashy, and deep targets are there, you will have better odds. Now, if the soil is heavily mineralized, challenging the AT Pro, the ATX will easily punch through the mineralized soil. So, it kind of boils down to location, location location.

And, by the way, that is a great price! You can always purchase it, learn it then resell it if you don't want to keep it.

besy face smaller.jpg

OP
OP
PowerDubs

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't use any discrimination on the ATP anyway- just pro mode, all open.

I'm assuming from the led on the atx display that I can at least judge where on the scale the target is? In other words- if it is towards the right, I am much more likely to find something good?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I don't use any discrimination on the ATP anyway- just pro mode, all open.

I'm assuming from the led on the atx display that I can at least judge where on the scale the target is? In other words- if it is towards the right, I am much more likely to find something good?

No.......the LED's on the scale show the strength of a target, assist with pinpointing and led you know if you are in motion or non-motion mode. The ATX does have an iron check, which seems to work well in the top 5-6 inches. When the iron check button is pushed, it lets out a low grunt on iron.

PI detectors are a totally different breed of machine.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you buy a ATX really research your decision. They are not able to discriminate, tell depth or size. I have friends that wanted to get the deeper stuff or gold so far after a year he's not scoring much. It's a great detector for certain types of detecting reoic and prospecting but it isn't to my liking for general coin hunting or jewelry

audiger49

Jun 25, 2014
S. Calif
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra, Garrett ATX, White's Goldmaster V/sat, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my ATX for prospecting and beach hunting, it works great in the salt water and on the iron rich California beach sand. It is very deep (14-15" nickels) and will pick up the smallest ear rings with ease. If you hunt in the water ( fresh or salt), it is a great choice. I love mine!

PS, it's the only PI machine that I know of that will sound off on small thin chains!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread