Search Coils For AT Pro

Jul 23, 2016
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am thinking about adding a couple of search coils to my arsenal for my AT Pro and would like some input.

I have been looking at the NEL "Big" & "Storm" coils for large field hunting and the NEL "Snake" or Garrett "Super Sniper" coil for trashy areas. Can't find much on the web other then the manufacture's info and would like some input from people who have used these.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the super sniper but am not impressed. My favorite coil is by far the 5x8. Have never tried the large Neil coil.

HH RN

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy the 8x5 and nothing else.

If you keep investing in coils before long you can invest in a much better detector. The ATP is a good detector for the money but if you upgrade in the $1200 range you will think the ATP is child's play.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nel snake is a great coil

OP
OP
W
Jul 23, 2016
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone thank you for the input.

Normsel, are you suggesting the E-Trac?

I have given some thought to going crazy and getting an ATX, but that is as far as it has gone.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other

If you keep investing in coils before long you can invest in a much better detector. The ATP is a good detector for the money but if you upgrade in the $1200 range you will think the ATP is child's play.

Now why did ya have to go and say that:laughing7: Now ya got me wondering:icon_scratch:???

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used the tornado and the attack coil had real good luck with them BUT like Normsel said if you keep buying coils you could just upgrade to a better machine. I upgraded my machine (The pro is good) but I went with a deus and man its a big difference for 1265.00 it should be. I can do more with the 9 inch deus coil as far as depth goes than the big nell coils I have a ten inch quater in my test garden and it will tag it no problem. If you have that kind of money I would say upgrade to a deus if you relic hunt but if you are a beach hunter the minelab might fit your needs better. You dont need an atx if your ground is not highly mineralized. Looking back if I had of knew then what I know now I would have just upgraded to a deus and I would have not bought the nel coils for the pro. The deus is a more advanced machine than the pro but and has a learning curve but the performance is worth it. Some of the brand homers will disagree but Ive used both machines and I am very efficient with both and the deus is in a league of its on. My post became more about selling you a deus than nel coils sorry but not really. Im on the deus forum all the time if you have any questions?

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've done extensive testing for Kellyco on multiple coils for the AT Pro. Bottom Line: My preference would be the Garrett 5x8 and the NEL Tornado 12x13. With this combination you have the front covered for just about any hunting you want to do. BTW, I saw no significant improvement in trashy areas of the smaller 5" sniper coils vs the Garrett 5x8. That 5x8 is a true gem as is the Tornado on the ATP.

Just the view from my foxhole...

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
I have the super sniper but am not impressed. My favorite coil is by far the 5x8. Have never tried the large Neil coil.

HH RN

The 5x8 is awesome, so much better than the stock one. Not getting off my detector for the time being.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with calabash. I started out with an AT Pro a month or two ago. Then I just purchased a XP Deus, the XP is just awesome with three operating frequencies (soon to be more when software v.4 comes out with the new coil - gold prospecting). It really allows you to tailor the machine to any conditions, and type of hunting. Knowing what I know now, I would also have gotten the XP first...but I guess metal detectors are like guns...you can't just collect one.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your in the central va area give me a shout. I've got a ton of coils for the pro
Large and small concentrics
Large and small PROformance DD
Super sniper
Snake
Attack
Tornado
And one or two others if im not mistaken. Your welcome to meet up with me and try any out before you go out and buy one.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I'll second, I love my deus far more hah. For shallow modern parks the pro does well as a [supposedly] Weatherproof turn on and go machine. And that waterproof feature is alluring despite mine leaking once already.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some videos posted of the deus with the 9 inch coil in thick iron posted the deus forum video 2 is a good one to see it in the thick iron and what its capable of. nel coils are close to 200.00 a piece.The deus with the 11 will outperform the nel attack and plus you dont have to wear a harness to swing the detector it it weighs just a little over 2 pounds. By no means am I saying the pro is not good but imo there are better options when you start spending that kind of money on upgrades.

Last edited:

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
I have some videos posted of the deus with the 9 inch coil in thick iron posted the deus forum video 2 is a good one to see it in the thick iron and what its capable of. nel coils are close to 200.00 a piece.The deus with the 11 will outperform the nel attack and plus you dont have to wear a harness to swing the detector it it weighs just a little over 2 pounds. By no means am I saying the pro is not good but imo there are better options when you start spending that kind of money on upgrades.

But the deus is easily twice the money, or about three to four NEL search coils (they seem to cost 159 here for me, maybe because I'm in Europe and if I recall correctly the NEL guy operates out of Ukraine or so)

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deus can be bought in the states for 1265.00 for the ws5 and 1225.00 for the ws4 dont know what they cost over on your side of the pond. Gary has videos on youtube xp deus expert training videos and some of him hunting in england in the iron infested fields where the romans were. If money is a ISSUE AND IT IS WITH ALL OF US STAY WITH THE PRO its a capalble time tested proven machine that will perform too.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the ATP I like the 5 X 8 coil in "High Trash" hunting areas. I also own a XP Deus and absolutely love it,but would never part with my ATP! :icon_thumleft: The ATP is just too versatile,and can be used in many conditions,that I would never think of using the XP in. Infact,I'm thinking of getting a straight shaft to help balance out the ATP. After using the XP the ATP feels like a concrete block on a stick,but I still Love it! Now I just have to find a good deal on a straight shaft for it!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting alongside the Hoover Boys (you can check out their numerous YouTube videos) and they cleaned my clock with NEL Storm coils next to my 8 x 11 stock coil. I was using the Ace 400, which is as close as you can get to a Pro except for the Pro mode, and they were getting 1 and 2 reales at 9-10 inches while my best was a Hibernia 1776 coin at six inches. While I could "hear" their targets, they read erratic or way below coin level on my 400. So, I am seriously considering a NEL Storm since I can't afford a Deus XP. If you want to see me in action with them, watch episode 72 "Dream Hunt". I consider myself a good hunter, having found a 1/2 reale, a 1 reale and a 1 reale cob in my time, plus a few King George coppers and lots of Large Cents, Barbers, etc. but they out depthed me totally with NEL storm coils on those AT-Pros.:BangHead:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't the 5x8 different (as in different coil) for the Ace vs the ATP? Only reason I ask is when I originally looked into them there was a difference.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Most people who have been detecting for a long time know that owning various coils for a metal detector is a real asset. Greater depth? Larger coil. Deal with mineralizaton issues? Get a DD coil. Trashy areas? Get a small coil. Depth of any detector is relative to target size, target conductivity, mineralization in soil/water matrix and most important, the user of the machine and how it is set up. There is no such thing as a better detector. There are situations where a Garrett user will run circles around some of the most expensive metal detectors available.

The same metal detector with a different coil is like a totally different metal detector, which will have clear advantages over another machine. At least Garrett Coils are affordable and actually made in USA. And some of the after market coils available for the AT Series also walk circles around some of the most expensive metal detectors. Check out some YOU-Tube videos with the NEL coils on AT Series detectors.

You DO NOT have to spend $1,200.00 for a decent metal detector. If a dealer tells you that, run away from him as fast as you can. More money does not equal a better metal detector.

View attachment 1341599

Attachments

• comaparisons.jpg
    comaparisons.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 138

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions