Lake Very Alkaline VLF Struggles, But ATX Cuts Through The Sand Like Butter!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
snake%203_zpss18va09i.jpg~original

Just a fantastic day! Wore my chest waders for most of the hunt. Got ring #40 for this year. Got some clad and a silver ring.

snake%204_zpsqx3uonbw.jpg~original

This lake is so weird, it eats copper. It's very alkaline. The coil and scoop were covered with a white coating after they dried. Here you can see what a penny looks like from the lake. It comes out covered with a black slag, and the penny is nearly as thin as paper.

snake%205_zps2da2kbik.jpg~original

Here are the finds of the day. Some of the coins had to be heated with a torch and quenched in a pickle solution to get the difficult oxides off.

snake%206_zpstcdebqjz.jpg~original

On my back to the car, I nearly stepped on this garter snake. I was surprised that he was still out and about. It's betting below freezing at night and he should be hibernating.

snake%207_zps8rictr8d.jpg~original

Here is my prize for the day. A silver ring, #40 for this year. I was getting a little worried that I might not get another one this year.

Heck, a few coins, a ring, great out doors, great fall colors, fresh air, good nights sleep......what else does one really need to be happy. :)

a877463c8ff55d5dbd531826356d319c.jpg

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Are the pennies in Canada the same makeup as U.S. coins ie, copper platted zinc? This is the electrodes of a battery and all one needs is the solution be it h2o with alkalinity or acidic. When i dig the pennies here, many are goners and not good for circulation.

I had to add, nice finds. It's the things that find you you have to watch out for.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Are the pennies in Canada the same makeup as U.S. coins ie, copper platted zinc? This is the electrodes of a battery and all one needs is the solution be it h2o with alkalinity or acidic. When i dig the pennies here, many are goners and not good for circulation.

I had to add, nice finds. It's the things that find you you have to watch out for.

We quit making pennies about 6 years ago. Yes, the last several years they were copper plate on zinc. But the solid copper pennies just get eaten up in this lake. Our zinc pennies suffered the same premature death as yours do in any environment.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
That's right I do remember hearing you guys did away with them, but I'm sure there are still some in circulation. No matter as the ones in the ground are all out of circulation until we find them, or what's left of them. HH

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post John - very entertaining!! Nice to see the Fall colors first thing. If I had been there, I would probably have spent more time looking at the colors than at my detector. :laughing7: Great last pic as well!!

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
That's right I do remember hearing you guys did away with them, but I'm sure there are still some in circulation. No matter as the ones in the ground are all out of circulation until we find them, or what's left of them. HH

There are non in circulation. All stores mark their products to the nearest +/- 5 cent number, in the customers favor, except for credit cards. There are still plenty of buried pennies, and the banks have to accept them.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
snake%203_zpss18va09i.jpg~original

Just a fantastic day! Wore my chest waders for most of the hunt. Got ring #40 for this year. Got some clad and a silver ring.

snake%204_zpsqx3uonbw.jpg~original

This lake is so weird, it eats copper. It's very alkaline. The coil and scoop were covered with a white coating after they dried. Here you can see what a penny looks like from the lake. It comes out covered with a black slag, and the penny is nearly as thin as paper.

snake%205_zps2da2kbik.jpg~original

Here are the finds of the day. Some of the coins had to be heated with a torch and quenched in a pickle solution to get the difficult oxides off.

snake%206_zpstcdebqjz.jpg~original

On my back to the car, I nearly stepped on this garter snake. I was surprised that he was still out and about. It's betting below freezing at night and he should be hibernating.

snake%207_zps8rictr8d.jpg~original

Here is my prize for the day. A silver ring, #40 for this year. I was getting a little worried that I might not get another one this year.

Heck, a few coins, a ring, great out doors, great fall colors, fresh air, good nights sleep......what else does one really need to be happy. :)

View attachment 1365018

Your right! The Garrett ATX is a VERY capable machine, and DEEP!

You have snakes out with the trees that color? I hope he was on the way to his hole!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions