Best choice for relic hunting in red clay

mhoecker

Dec 1, 2016
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's TDI Pulsescan, Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SInce I bought the AT Pro less than a week ago, I have been reading over these forums and am so impressed by the collective knowledge here. Of course, the more you read the more you know. I thought I had done my due diligence prepurchase but am discovering one glaring oversight. Highly mineralized soil puts the AT Pro off its game. As I hope to participate in future Digging in Virginia events and hope to get permission to detect on a friend's farm in Culpeper county, should I purchase a pulse induction machine? Budget prohibits a new machine, so I would have to buy used. I haven't heard of many people being successful in open fields in that area. Your input is valued and will color my decision. Thanks in advance for your help!

Madonna

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SInce I bought the AT Pro less than a week ago, I have been reading over these forums and am so impressed by the collective knowledge here. Of course, the more you read the more you know. I thought I had done my due diligence prepurchase but am discovering one glaring oversight. Highly mineralized soil puts the AT Pro off its game. As I hope to participate in future Digging in Virginia events and hope to get permission to detect on a friend's farm in Culpeper county, should I purchase a pulse induction machine? Budget prohibits a new machine, so I would have to buy used. I haven't heard of many people being successful in open fields in that area. Your input is valued and will color my decision. Thanks in advance for your help!

Madonna

The AT Pro was designed for use in salt water and highly minerazied soil. You may be running too much sensitivity, reduce sensitivity to about 5 and see if that works. Otherwise get a used White's MXT.

You're welcome.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted in that area. In woods area a VLF machine will do ok. For open fields anything small more than 6" down will be hard to find. I had a PI machine and had to give it up, was digging tiny pieces of iron and trash and was too heavy and just a pain for me. My new XP Deus is sucking relics out of the red dirt down there. In the woods. Haven't tried open fields with it yet. MXT is a good choice for a PI Machine. That's the one I had.

OP
OP
M

mhoecker

Dec 1, 2016
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your input. I've watched videos of Diggin in Virginia and am amazed at how deep some folks dig. I have seen a fair number of used MXT's on the market. Thanks for the suggestion.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MXT is a good choice for a PI Machine. That's the one I had.
MXT is a VLF machine. It was my Major competition when I was swinging an ATP. Perhaps you meant a TDI.

OP
OP
M

mhoecker

Dec 1, 2016
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right. If I buy a pulse induction it may very well be the TDI.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread