Ha! My Very First Wireless System On My Garrett GTA Ultra Metal Detector.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
omega wireless.jpg

It was back about 20 years and called the "OMEGA" Sound Sender. It ran on 2 x AA batteries and the system was mounted on the outside arm cuff of the detector. The receiver was a free Chatelaine am/FM radio. It was challenging setting a FM frequency on the "OMEGA" and trying to get the radio to lock on to the same frequency. It eventually worked....sort off. I often times lost my frequency, having to then try lock on to it again. There was a lag in audio, and the audio sounded tinny. I only used it twice, opting to just continue using the non-wireless headset.

ultra corrected.jpg

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's very interesting to me! It amazes me we have had this technology around for such a long time, but it hasn't been refined until the last few years. Did the government snatch up all the developers and researchers in this tech? Did it really take this long for different parts to become small enough (moores law) Why don't we use FM or AM for wireless? Thanks for posting a piece pf history!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread