AT Pro Garrett coils or NEL coils?

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the Garrett 5x8 but want to get either the Garrett Sniper or NEL Snake.

I also want to get a bigger coil for open fields so I'm not sure whether to stick with Garrett coils or go the NEL route as I've seen reports that they tend to go deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I got the Nel Attack coil for Christmas for my At pro. I was surprised how big this coil is. I had to do some air tests to see this monsters performance. Their is snow on the ground here and the ground is frozen now so real ground tests are out till spring. The attack coil air tested easy at 14" on my wedding band and my 5 by 8" can't get it passed 11". I know air tests are not true tests but gives an idea of depth over other coils. I've heard good things about the Nel coils and the Attack coil is supposed to be one deep coil. I can't wait to try it out in the spring, should open up some new targets at my beaches I've hunted out.

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't seem to find any side by side comparisons of the Garrett coils vs NEL coils of same size. I see a lot of NEL coils that are larger than the Garrett others compared to but I would expect the bigger NEL to go deeper than the smaller Garrett.

May just have to order them and do my own comparison, which sucks financially but could be fun!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Their is only one coil of the Nel series which matches the stock coil of the At pro which is the Hunter coil. The other smaller Nel coils like the snake and the sharp shooter probably compare fairly to the 5" by8" Garrett coil. Basically all the larger Nel coils that are bigger than the Garrrett stock will obviously get you better depth and more coverage.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got the Garrett 5x8 but want to get either the Garrett Sniper or NEL Snake.

I also want to get a bigger coil for open fields so I'm not sure whether to stick with Garrett coils or go the NEL route as I've seen reports that they tend to go deeper.

Man you could just run a search for Nel on here and find plenty of stuff.

My son and daughter use Nel products, both have all the coils and just got the new Thunder. My son says that the Snake is just a killer in parks and at the beach, he does pretty good. He also likes using the Nel Big on fresh water beaches, fields and thin forested areas. My self I am a Minelab and Coiltek fan but I have hunted a great deal with my son and seen him in action from nugget shooting in streams to working the beaches. I have gone over his tracks in the past but he does not leave much behind unless it is deep.

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've seen several people talking about the NEL coils but I haven't seen any head to head comparisons. I see them comparing the stock coil to larger NEL coils and say it gets more depth. To me that seems kind of obvious. I just want to see the head to head of pretty much same size coils. Like the Garrett sniper vs NEL sharp or snake or both, Garrett 5x8 vs NEL sharp shooter and Garrett 8.5x11 vs NEL hunter. I can see where the storm, thunder, tornado, etc go deeper than garretts offering but it still doesn't give me data about the others and if there is enough difference to warrant the cost.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Ive heard the sharp shooter gets a bit more depth than the 5"/8" Garrett DD. I don't think that would justify me buying the sharpshooter if I already had the 5"/8" Garrett coil, which I do. The smaller coils by comparison won't see that much difference in depth comparison compared to the larger Nel coils. If it's depth and coverage you're looking for , go with the Attack or the or the storm, otherwise like I said..the smaller coils won't be much in difference by comparison.

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of what I'm thinking and the reason I wanted to see a head to head. I'm in need of a sniper size coil and am torn between the Garrett sniper and the NEL snake. I think I may have to go with the snake on this one because I think it would actually get a little more depth for being 6" long but still get good separation since it's only 3" wide. I could be wrong though. But I think it should at least get as much depth as the Garrett sniper

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just to follow up, I have the stock coil that I haven't even used. I bought the 5x8 because it was extremely recommended over the stock. So I'll probably trade the stock in on a NEL storm, thunder or tornado. So then I'll have the NEL snake, Garrett 5x8 and NEL whatever bigger coil.

Now I'm a little OCD and I hate they don't all match! So eventually my OCD will win and I'll end up trading the 5x8 in for the sharp shooter! Jeez why can't I be normal!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Lol. Understandable, I'm always wondering too about getting the best performance per coil/machine.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the NEL line of coils are hard to beat. if I had to do it over again I would buy another NEL

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got the NEL snake a while back and I promise, it is a great "sniper" coil for trashy areas. It's quick and distinguishes quickly. It hits surprisingly deep also. Cant go wrong with it. It's built like a little brick too. Don't worry about dropping it or bumping it.....solid!

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've heard nothing but good things. I just can't believe nobody has done a head to head comparison of the "like" coils between Garrett and NEL!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I've heard nothing but good things. I just can't believe nobody has done a head to head comparison of the "like" coils between Garrett and NEL!

Most likely because hunters do not have time to waste when there is no comparison.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok so everyone wants "DEPTH" all I hear is I want to go deeper. Welp with the bigger coils you will mask a ton of targets. Sure you'll gain a little in detection depth but at the price of target separation and separation is a huge deal when there is iron in the ground or the soil is highly mineralized. I have the AT Pro with NEL SharpShooter and NEL Storm coils. great machine for what it does best, finding the easier targets. When there is high iron a small coil is better for separation

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm actually looking to go smaller but at the same time I want the most depth I can get from the smallest coil. So what my thoughts are is if I go with the NEL Snake I can get almost the depth of the Garrett 5x8. If I go with the NEL Sharpshooter then I can get almost as deep as the Garrett 8.5x11. And any bigger NEL coils should obviously go deeper than any other Garrett coil. But I really wanted to see some head to head comparisons so I could see just how much deeper they go which I couldn't find so asking here I thought some might have tested a few for themselves and could share.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I only got the Nel Attack coil for greater depth and coverage for the beach alone. Still though with the DD Attack coil, separation is still very good and way better compared to the same size Mono coil such as the Dual field. I use my 5"/8" coil for land and dry sand areas. Their is less trash in the wet sand and water and that's where I want the coverage and depth.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I find interesting is the 6" is ringing up in the 80's, and the 2" and 4" are ringing up just as they should coming in right at "Pulltabs" thats the part I don't like about gold! You dig a ton of foil and pulltabs to find the shinny gold

Jul 3, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Nokta Impact, Nox 800, Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to be clear, I didn't make the above video, just found it on Youtube when I was researching getting the Garrett 5X8 or the NEL Snake. I went with the NEL Snake and received it this week. I've only managed one quick hunt with it so far. So far though, I love it. I was getting good strong signals the depth indicator said was 8 inches, but can't confirm that because the ground was too frozen.
I received the NEL Thunder in December but haven't used it yet for the same reason. Excited to get in lots of use of both coils this spring and summer. I expect the Snake to get the most use if its depth is as good as it was showing the other day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread