Getting some weird signals in an old well, anyone run unti this before?

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm running an AT Pro 400 and generally the depth and indicator numbers are accurate or at least predictably off due to size of the target and depth. There's this one spot at an old cellar hole in the woods that's been confusing me and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into similar situations with this detector.

It's a small well off to the side of the hole that's mostly collapsed and shallow (water line is no more than a few feet down) but oddly when I swing the detector over it I get a solid 77-84 signal. Repeating and in all directions with no iron audio buzz. The depth indicator is a steady 4" even when I lower the coil into the hole and the signal is strong even 12" above. No change in depth. It's been driving me nuts so I even tried digging into the well (which is flooded) to see if I could find the target. Even at 12" down there was nothing and the signal hadn't changed.

So this target is registering at at least 24" away which I didn't think was possible with this detector. Has anyone run into a signal like this before and is it possible that a large enough piece of copper/brass would still register a signal that far away? And does the fact that there's water play a role?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a big piece of cast iron or large pipe deep down giving the high signal. I've had these sound and feel like silver coins.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was thinking maybe the bucket they used to draw water up with, but the signal is fairly compact. I've noticed that with large deep targets the pinpoint will still show it as being a few inches across at most. Any thoughts on why that happens?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's full of cans :) I'm being serious lol. Also big high carbon iron will give you a nice sounding target as well. I would try to run over it with a different machine if possible just to see if the results match. If they do looks like your doing some well diving

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen diagrams of the signals emitted from various coils. They show the tips of the signal range 6-12" deep. This seems to make perfect sense for small objects. Turn your detector on full power, then swing your coil 3' away from a swing set pole and it will chime like a quarter 8" deep. Somehow big metal in certain circumstances is detected by the coil at great depths.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Definitely worth further investigating. I never walk away from a curious signal. Just be careful around that well. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread