Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typically good stuff from you, Kenny!

Question: couldnt you turn the Ace housing around in the pouch, so you wouldnt have to view it upside down?

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Very observant Davhut. I had it that way at first but the pinpoint button was too far from my thumb. So I turned it around and my thumb is right there.Also it puts the heavy (battery) side closer to the clip. It's just more natural.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHat, are you still using the PP?!

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Old habits die hard. I can pinpoint with it in about 5 seconds using the button. Detune,left,right,pull back,no tone and dig.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the white thing, and the switch box looking thing for??? thank, Tom

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That's pretty cool...didn't know you could remove the box....

but I have a stupid question (I know, only stupid question is the one you don't ask)...anyways...

May I ask why you did that? What is the purpose of this? Curious, as it may be something I might wish to do.

Thank you and Happy Hunting,
Annmarie

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Ann,
There are a lot of detectors that have a hip mount feature from the factory. This gets the weight off of your arm while hunting. The control head comes off by removing the two screws under the rod. You won't hurt a thing by taking it off if you want to see just how lite it feels.

Tom,
The white thing is a piggy back electronic pinpointer from Sunray. Click here www.sunraydetector.com
or copy and paste the link to your browser.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
khouse said:
Ann,
There are a lot of detectors that have a hip mount feature from the factory. This gets the weight off of your arm while hunting. The control head comes off by removing the two screws under the rod. You won't hurt a thing by taking it off if you want to see just how lite it feels.

Thank you for your response. I understand now....I just might give that a try and see if I like it that way....thanks for posting and for the info on the material required. My arm does get tired after several days of detecting (in a row)...

Again, Thank You....Happy Hunting,
Annmarie

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I haven't a clue about some of this stuff, so I have a question on your set-up. Is the box on the handle basically a "splitter" and the toggle-switch flips between the coil or pinpointer?

Nice-looking set-up, and may help me as well once I'm able to get the 250 myself.

Thanks
Smitty

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Thanks for the link! Do many Th'ers use these on the Ace 250? I mean due to the cost factor as compared to costing nearly as much as the machine itself?

Thanks
Smitty

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Indiana,
I don't think the SunRay is that popular on the Ace models due to what you just said. On the other hand since you save a ton of money in the purchase of the Ace that leaves you more money for accessories like the probe. I have built and sold probes over the years but this one is the best. My opinion. .Worth every penny

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Great project Ken..... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Thanks John. You know I can't leave anything alone for too long before I mess with it. Although your probably the first to remove the head and put it up on your shoulder for water hunting!

gteague

Nov 30, 2012
hi folks: i realize this is an ancient thread, but i have to do exactly this as i just purchased my first md (the 250) and i cannot see it. there's nothing but a yellow blur down there--i ordered online and just couldn't imagine how tiny the display would be. i found the exact pouch (lowe's doesn't sell this online, although it might be stocked in individual stores--no way to tell) on ebay and have it on order, but garrett sales/tech support gave me absolutely no information about this cable except that they don't sell it. would have been nice if they had at least pointed me somewhere, but they were no help.

i swear it looks like a standard microphone? video? xlr cable, but i haven't been able to find anything at all similar after hours of online searching. if anyone is actually still monitoring this thread and can give me any tips whatsoever i would sure appreciate it.

thanks,

/guy

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gteague. It looks like an audio cable. Try checking an electronics store like radio shack or like a frys electronics. I think they have an online order as well.
I could possibly look for ya. I know they have the 250 there and then I could try to check there cable connection to the box.

gteague

Nov 30, 2012
tks for the reply. actually there is a garett distributer literally right down the street from me and i plan to go see them first of next week. hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

[later note] a friend just sent me a couple of links and it appears this is a microphone connector. i knew i recognized it and it seems it's the very connector i used for many years to plug my microphone into my desktop ham radio. that should narrow down the search considerably as i have many ham radio sources for such cables. i'll let you know.

on a side note, this friend sent another link to where garrett sent out a cable to a couple of people and the person referenced at garrett was the very person who told me it wasn't possible. so perhaps they've changed their mind in the last year or two about helping people find these, for what reason i can't imagine.

just in case someone else stumbles across this thread and can't get garrett to help out, here are the ebay links to the needed items:

first, the pouch:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110708170126#ht_500wt_1309

and then the mic extension cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PIN-MICRO...LE-CORD-CB-HAM-RADIO-/190770367499#vi-content

even with shipping these two items were well under $25. and i'll post back here once i've received them and implemented (or failed to implement) this mod. appreciate the help.

/guy

Last edited:

digitaldigger

May 27, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that looks like a top dollar mod. I really like it. Thanks for sharing!
-Ian

Research and Recovery- www.rrshow.net

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread