SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

Well, I just got access to a new site with a lot of historical significance. Unlike my other hunting sites, this one is almost zero trash. It's a huge, wide open area, with activity dating back to the early 1800's. I want to detect, and dig every possible signal, including iron. The soil is rich, black dirt.

I've been singing the praises of the 5x8 coil, but now I want to go in the opposite direction. All I care about now is depth. I suspect this site is holding some deep gems. I've been researching the CORS and NEL 15x17, and am about to pull the trigger on one or the other (as far as I can tell they are the same).

But before I do so, I just wanted to hear any other advice or options you may have. Thanks in advance.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I to have been hunting a 1880s untouched site for three years . Rich black soil and when silver hits the air it is clean and bright .Very forgiving soil for things over 100 years old . I have the same problem as you right now . My stock coil and my 5x8 have run out of good signals . I am digging with my pin pointer listening for small deep signals with the 5x8 and have done real well . I am looking at the NEL thunder coil right now for depth . Do not pass up those V nickels .

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Do not pass up those V nickels .

Ironically enough, the only coin I have dug so far was a 1957 Jefferson nickel, but at this site, I don't pass up anything. A low iron tone can net you an arrowhead real quick! No old coins yet, but I've barley scratched the surface. It will probably be weeks before I get back, but I can't wait.

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the nel Thunder on my at pro it hits pretty nice on deeper coins . Deep iron nails also sound good tho, dug some deep holes for them so I know it gets deep....

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the Cors Cannon (Nel Thunder) for my 400 and it works pretty good. Oldest coin so far was an 1810 large cent. I hit a spot yesterday that I had hunted hard and came away with a little piece of silver jewelry and two war nickels. Nails everywhere, so the separation is still pretty good. Deepest coin I got was the around 9 inches so far. The Pro should get even deeper.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
With this being a very large open area, a larger coil will cover more area. I swing the 17" coil for areas like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread