squizzy

Greenie
Jul 21, 2015
Wangaratta
Detector(s) used
Adventure Ridge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi do you find the mx sport to be much better than the Mxt All Pro? Apart from the being water proof side of things and if you do please tell. Cheers

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent used the max. but its same housing as at pro and it makes balance funny in water(too buoyant). and all the other details it lists mx sport already has. The screen on mx sport is easier to read too I think.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites is going to have to lower the price of the MX Sport to compete with the AT max. The AT pro/gold/max detectors with the 5 X 8 coil are very well balanced. The tones on the AT series is much more pleasant and telling to listen to in my opinion also. Top it all off you get wireless and wireless headphones and all the features of the AT pro and Gold combined plus backlight for less than the mxsport.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the ATP and Gold fairly well, trained my kids on them; after reading about this new product I have to agree with you on the Gold being the best choice.

Why ? Consider the 637 price tag on the AT Gold and 722 on the max. 85 bucks more and you get a backlight , wireless headphones and more features on a machine that can do everything the gold can do. Of course you could always buy the Z Lynk for another 127 bucks and wear a head light with the AT Gold. Or you could spend 34 bucks for the AT adapter so you can wear the wired headphones of your choice. That would save you 51 bucks unless of course you bought a pair of headphones that cost more than 51 bucks. Maybe you prefer cords and head lights. Seems perfectly logical.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still doesn't seem to add up to the mx sport, especially with the poor balance in and out of the water.... garret blew it with a chance to come out with something great.

MXS = not wireless
MXS = cost more

Correct , it doesn't add up the MXS. It's easier on the pocketbook than the MXS with the advantage of wireless.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXS = not wireless
MXS = cost more

Correct , it doesn't add up the MXS. It's easier on the pocketbook than the MXS with the advantage of wireless.

Wireless is about the only thing I see that is different. The price difference is negligible to the at max.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't understand all the hating. Everything they did to it was improvements. It's still well priced. It works in the water now, backlit, hits deeper, uses same coils, better grip, wireless. Geesh! Yes, Garrett could have done more. Bet the price would have been up there to reflect it too.
Guess when they first sliced bread someone complained about how it was sliced too. I can't wait to see it in use. Everything I wanted in a mid-ranged priced detector has been addressed. Nice progress in my book. Good on Garrett for addressing most everything in one move.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wireless is about the only thing I see that is different. The price difference is negligible to the at max.
Unless you wanted the additional cost to go wireless with the MXS. Whites too will release their own version of a Z Lynk set up. Add that to the already higher cost of the MXS and it isn't so negligible.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And head to head with the Impact?

Chub

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Looks like the MXS is 25% heavier and uses double the amount of batteries. Can you manually ground balance the MXS?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes you can manually gb. It is heavier but it doesn't feel it as how its balanced. I get 40+ hours easy off my batteries no sure what the ATM does yet.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you wanted the additional cost to go wireless with the MXS. Whites too will release their own version of a Z Lynk set up. Add that to the already higher cost of the MXS and it isn't so negligible.

could same the same thing about the display.... would rather pay to upgrade to wireless than be stuck with that awful display and big box.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could same the same thing about the display.... would rather pay to upgrade to wireless than be stuck with that awful display and big box.

The numbers are now larger on the Max. Lighter than the MXS. Wireless . Fewer batteries than MXS. Less expensive. What else you got ?

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why ? Consider the 637 price tag on the AT Gold and 722 on the max. 85 bucks more and you get a backlight , wireless headphones and more features on a machine that can do everything the gold can do. Of course you could always buy the Z Lynk for another 127 bucks and wear a head light with the AT Gold. Or you could spend 34 bucks for the AT adapter so you can wear the wired headphones of your choice. That would save you 51 bucks unless of course you bought a pair of headphones that cost more than 51 bucks. Maybe you prefer cords and head lights. Seems perfectly logical.

You don't think the AT-Gold will perform better on smaller gold with its 18khz vs 13khz?

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't bet against an AT Gold Max coming out in a few months with hight frequency and wireless etc. If your a nugget hunter you might want to wait.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't bet against an AT Gold Max coming out in a few months with hight frequency and wireless etc. If your a nugget hunter you might want to wait.

Didn't the AT Gold price drop as well as the ATP ? I know some sites were listing at 679 and now I see listings of 637.

Garrett was smart to debut the Z Lynk before the Max.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F75 user here, since roughly 2012... I'm excited to try the AT-Max. If it gets that extra inch and doesn't wear my arm out too quickly, I'm all over it. Waterproof also means a lot to me! Can't wait to see what one will do with a NEL Thunder coil attached to it... Might be a while...

From what I can see at a glance, Garrett has made some very good moves with this new toy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread