No bashing. Honest questions about the AT-MAX

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
I have had them all but currently use a Makro Multi Kruzer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No bashing whatsoever meant
Many of these questions I am putting forth are bound to be asked by others. It is also understandable that beyond the guys in the video the average detectorists and many dealers have not even taken a dry run with the MAX.
Perhaps those in the position who have had hands on time with the machine can make some YouTube videos of the AT-MX. Obviously there will be hundreds of AT-MAX videos on YouTube further down the line.*

Anyway here we go with some initial questions.
Feel free to add your own questions.

1. Has the MAX control box been better secured to where it connects to the shaft. We have all heard about AT-PRO control box's snapping off.

2. Is the AT-MAX control box the same dimensions as the AT-PRO, and can we use the same 3rd party pole assemblies, rechargeable battery options, Amphibian headphones, etc. We already know from official advertising the entire AT line can interchange search coils.

3. Is the audio threshold active in the discrimination mode, and is the all metal mode the non motion type like the Master Hunter and GTI series.

4. Has the arm cuff been beefed up, Arm cup breakage has been reported on the AT-PRO.

5. According to what I saw on the video ( correct me if mistaken ) ithere some type of ground balance tracking going on in the All-metal mode. Is this an improved fast/ground track technology from the CX and GTI series.

6. Any improvements on attaching and removing the headphones and coil connector or is it still pinchy to get to those connections.

7. If I break or misplace the included wireless headphones is replacement as easy as buying a new set.

8. Can all user adjusted settings be saved.

Thanks in advance and HH
Jason.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Many of these questions I am putting forth are bound to be asked by others. It is also understandable that beyond the guys in the video the average detectorists and many dealers have not even taken a dry run with the MAX.
Perhaps those in the position who have had hands on time with the machine can make some YouTube videos of the AT-MX. Obviously there will be hundreds of AT-MAX videos on YouTube further down the line.*

1. Has the MAX control box been better secured to where it connects to the shaft. We have all heard about AT-PRO control box's snapping off.

2. Is the AT-MAX control box the same dimensions as the AT-PRO, and can we use the same 3rd party pole assemblies, rechargeable battery options, Amphibian headphones, etc. We already know from official advertising the entire AT line can interchange search coils.

3. Is the audio threshold active in the discrimination mode, and is the all metal mode the non motion type like the Master Hunter and GTI series.

4. Has the arm cuff been beefed up, Arm cup breakage has been reported on the AT-PRO.

5. According to what I saw on the video ( correct me if mistaken ) ithere some type of ground balance tracking going on in the All-metal mode. Is this an improved fast/ground track technology from the CX and GTI series.

6. Any improvements on attaching and removing the headphones and coil connector or is it still pinchy to get to those connections.

7. If I break or misplace the included wireless headphones is replacement as easy as buying a new set.

Thanks in advance and HH
Jason.

The ATM and the ATP probably arent for everybody , but those of us who click with it are happy and we have the finds to show for its competence.

Ive used my ATP heavily and often for 4 years and never had an arm rest , control box , or connector problem. Certainly , any detector can brake , depending on its user and particular set of circumstances.

Most of these questions you are asking have no answers yet since the ATM is not in the hands of the general public yet and Garrett hasnt released any videos yet on it.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the video I saw him adjusting the threshold in the Pro Zero mode. So it looked to me that you can have a threshold in the disc mode.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All good questions in my book and it doesn't come off as bashing. I know I'm interested in the mounting of the control box and cuff. I've had both break on me now, but I'm pretty adventurous.

rkiltie

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
T2 SE, E-Trac, MXT All-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very interested in the control box as well and if it will fit the Mars shaft.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one has the MAX how would we know any answers to those questions?

We have a winner!

Been there, done that. NEVER order the first batch of anything. Seriously....give it a few months, see if it's solid or has issues.

Sarge38624

Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think these are all very good questions. I also wonder about the arm cuff and housing attachment problems. I hope these have both been addressed. I have broken the housing mounts and cuffs on both my AT Pro and AT Gold. I am not particularly hard on my equipment, and while I have been very happy with the actual performance of both machines, the problems I mentioned have definitely been a headache.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I couldn't tell you for fact but I'll take a stab;
#1 No
#2 Yes
#3 No. Motion machine unless in pinpoint mode.
#4 No
#5 No
#6. No improvement.
#7. I have no idea. I do know that Garrett customer service would be my first call. The wireless thing is way overrated, imo. I wish instead of wireless, that they would have expanded the sensitivity like they did the ground balancing.
#8 No

This is the same basic machine with a few tweaks, imo.
The REAL question is what is the depth increase and is the increase only stated due to the all metal mode being added. In other words, is the max the same as the pro in pro zero mode?

Sarge38624

Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just called Garrett and asked them if the AT Max will be stronger at the mounting points and the arm cuff. The guy I spoke to, Adam I think, told me they would both be the same as the AT Pro and AT Gold. He said the arm cuff was beefed up a couple of years ago. Neither of these are real deal breakers for me, because there are pretty simple solutions for both issue, but I really don't understand why Garrett didn't address these issues with the new machine.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Thanks in advance and HH
Jason.

Here's your answer: Please remember that things can change though, as it has not been released yet. There have been a few proto types produced, but I doubt if anyone is really using one yet.

1.Yes , that change was made a while back for all the current AT models .
2.Yes
3.Yes . No, it`s the same as the AT Gold and is only non-motion when in the pin point mode.
4.Yes , that change was also made a long while back for all the current AT models.
5.No. It is similar . The window is automatically selected during ground balancing only .
6.No
7.Yes
8.Only in the Custom Mode

I hope this helps . Let me know if you have any more questions .

John

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread