Folding Garrett metal detectors... I made it happen! 27.5" long when folded!

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 350, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have modified my AT Pro and my Ace 350 md's which allows them to fold in seconds to a length of 27.5" !

The mod looks like it came from the factory and should work on any AT or Ace model.

I can now fit my detector in a 30" case or slingbag, backpack, etc... Much easier to transport especially in a small vehicle or motorcycle.

Would anyone be interested in this mod if I made a kit available with the components, hardware and instructions?

If so, what would be a reasonable price? Keep in mind I have to make a profit.

Sorry that I can't post photos at this point, I am looking to patent the modification. Photos and/or a video will be available before I start selling the kits.

I would certainly appreciate opinions & questions.

Thanks & keep diggin!

Dan Willis

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much will you pay me to test the prototype? :skullflag:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Require to be charter member to sell anything on TNet.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Require to be charter member to sell anything on TNet.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Understood, not selling anything yet. I need to see how much interest there is before I spend the time and $ to get it ready to sell.

Thanks and keep diggin!

Dan

OP
OP
D

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much will you pay me to test the prototype? :skullflag:

The word zilch comes to mind. Haven't checked to see if it will work on a Tesoro yet. Can you tell me what the O.D. of your Tesoro's middle shaft is? Measurements need to be accurate so use a vernier caliper, digital caliper, etc.

Thanks and keep diggin!

Dan

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to be a sayer of nay, but whats wrong with just loosening the cam locks and either pulling the tubes apart of collapsing them in. I do this all the time and it fits fine in my Mazda Miata trunk, both AT Pro and Makro Racer 2. Although the Racer 2 get to ride more than the AT :laughing7:

OP
OP
D

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be a sayer of nay, but whats wrong with just loosening the cam locks and either pulling the tubes apart of collapsing them in. I do this all the time and it fits fine in my Mazda Miata trunk, both AT Pro and Makro Racer 2. Although the Racer 2 get to ride more than the AT :laughing7:

Nothing wrong with that but it does take more time. I can leave mine fully assembled and fold it down to 27.5" in a few seconds.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be rude or anything but you have not provided any pictures of said modification, which makes it impossible to gauge any interest. It could be terrible or poorly designed for all we know. If that's the case then there would be no interest. On the other hand if you designed something great (which is impossible to determine based on your description, and nobody is just going to take your word for it), then there might be some interest.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He can't post pictures cause he's looking for a patent.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Respectfully disagree with you on time to loosen the cam locks and slide the shafts together on my AT Pro. Loosen the cam lock rotate the shaft 90º (so the locking balls do not pop out at each hole) and side the shaft in to pack in carry bag. Slide out to a pre-marked hole on the upper shaft and pre-marked on lower shaft rotate back 90º tighten cam lock. I would say I could do just about as fast as you could fold your shaft.

You may be on to something but until I see it not totally onboard

OP
OP
D

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respectfully disagree with you on time to loosen the cam locks and slide the shafts together on my AT Pro. Loosen the cam lock rotate the shaft 90º (so the locking balls do not pop out at each hole) and side the shaft in to pack in carry bag. Slide out to a pre-marked hole on the upper shaft and pre-marked on lower shaft rotate back 90º tighten cam lock. I would say I could do just about as fast as you could fold your shaft.

Does that get it down to 27.5"? I think not. The whole reason i did this was for portability and transporting on a motorcycle.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be interested. Get a patent. Buy a charter membership. Then sell it on here.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm good point have not checked the length. Anyway good luck to you hope it all works out.:icon_thumright:

Does that get it down to 27.5"? I think not. The whole reason i did this was for portability and transporting on a motorcycle.

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He can't post pictures cause he's looking for a patent.

I completely missed that part thanks.

So it must be a hinge/lock type mechanism since collapsing an existing shaft is longer than 27"....and I'm unsure what the length of a Mars shaft for an ATP is fully collapsed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread