Advice on large coil for the AT-Pro

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been asked by a lady to find a college ring that her late husband lost. From what she has told me the ring is a quite large gold college championship ring. The ring was lost in a large open field next to their house her husband passed couple years ago and the ring was lost about 5 plus years ago. Due to the size of the field I'm thinking of getting the NEL Storm Coil for my AT-Pro, and was hopping to get some advice from anyone that is using the Storm on their AT. I will probably do the search in the fall just because of the heat here in Alabama in the summer, so if you have used the NEL Storm let me know how it compares to the stock coil, I know it's going to be heaver but was just wondering since the field is large (10 plus acres) the storm would not be a better choice than the stock coil.

Know there is only a very slight chance of finding the ring but what the heck it's the fun of the hunt!

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I believe the storm is 13" and the stock 11". With a 2" wider sweep, but still overlapping each swing.......
I'd go at it with the stock coil.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the storm is 13" and the stock 11". With a 2" wider sweep, but still overlapping each swing.......
I'd go at it with the stock coil.

Good point storm not that much larger than the stock coil, or maybe go with one of the larger NEL coils for the AT. I would not think I would need the depth the larger coils would give being the ring was lost about 5 years ago. Time is not a factor, I figure I would be able to cover most of the area from fall to spring, winters here are not that bad.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll throw my 2 cents worth in since I use the NEL Storm. If you get too big, you are going to limit the places you can use it with out it flipping out on everything all the time. (trashy areas) I can tell you that I use the NEL Storm and the NEL Snake almost everywhere I go now. Those two are awesome. Seperates signal a little better and good on depth. Storm for larger areas and Snake in really trashy demo lots. Good luck!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the Storm for my pro, if it feels too heavy get a detector buddy harness. I use them all the time to take the weight off your arms and place it on your shoulder

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Nell storm on AT Pro as well. I have had good luck with it and I was even impressed with the target separation for a large coil. It can get a bit tiring to swing for more than a couple hours so a harness might be helpful.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pulled the trigger on the NEL Storm coil last night, got a e-mail this morning from KellyCo that the coil is on its way. Got couple places that have been hit hard so let you guys know how it works out in a few days.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Received the NEL storm coil Monday, I ordered the lower shaft and hardware kit for my AT Pro so make it easier to change between stock coil and the storm coil. Initial observations coil is a bit heavier, it takes a bit getting use to, the main thing is slowing down one’s swing speed. I have I used the storm to over an area that I have hunted quit a bit and found additional coins with the storm. I found the storm to work well in a trashy park area, I detect in Pro-Zero with no discrimination I listen using my head phones to sort out the trash from good finds, yes I still dig trash but you never know what your are going to find if you do not dig. I did do a brief water hunt today and found the larger coil bit difficult to keep it from floating up, for now I will keep the larger coil on for a while longer. I do want to do some beach hunting with the storm.

When I installed the coil did the factory reset, when I ground balance I lower the sensitivity down two to three bars and then raise to full sensitivity to full after balancing, have had no problems with chatter, actually think I may have had less chatter with the storm than the stock. I have been back and forth on getting the 5 X 8 coil which I may do in the future but for now the storm and the stock seem to be doing a great job.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread