How To Clean Those Better Coins And Jewelry You Find.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
For most of your clad coins, tumbling them works best! I have years experience with ultrasonic machines. Don't use them on copper oxidized coins, as they will pit them. Do use them on silver coins. For iron rusted parts, use full strength vinegar, and run for long periods.

Here is the formula for an ultrasonic cleaner solution I use. As I don't use it on Pearls or Opals but its fine for most jewelry and non copper coins.

1/4 cup Mr clean
1/4 cup liquid ammonia
1/2 cup water

It was recommended to be used hot.

Ultra.jpg

What I do, depending on what I am cleaning, is put the piece in different containers, and just fill the tub in the ultrasonic cleaner with water, preferably distilled water.

339097.jpg

Also, do no overlook "Stainless steel shot tumbling." Tumbling is an easy and effective way to polish your finished metal jewelry pieces. You just buy some commercially available stainless steel shot, put it in the tumbler. Add just enough water to cover the top of your shot, add one drop of Dawn dishwater soap, your jewelry and rings and start tumbling. Mix silver only with silver. If you add copper, the silver will stain a copper color.

Below is a video I made on stainless steel shot tumbling...called the "3rd Way To Polish Coins and Jewelry."

g1.jpg

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my mind tumblers are the way to go, cleans the clad and will clean brass copper silver you name it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread