Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am receiving my AT Max and am super excited. My question is how you that have it (or even have the ATP) would recommend setting it up for hunting civil war epics in a field that is loaded with old nails. I finally found my first civil war bullet a couple weeks ago but have been back to that field and am wasting tons of time digging up nails. I think maybe my X Terra 705 isn’t able to distinguish between the two well enough. I want to head out bright and early tomorrow morning with the Max to that field and see what it can do. I have watched the new YouTube vids from Garrett on how to use it but still don’t know the best way to set it up for this particular purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my AT-Pro set in Pro zero mode (zero discrimination) I listen to the sounds with practice have got to point that I can usually tell if the target is going to be good or not. I also turn on iron audio if the target is in question. The other thing I've done is switch out to the 5 x 8 coil I have found this is the best way to go if you are hunting in a trash area, I not seen that much difference from stock coil to the 5 x 8 as far as depth.

Good luck on your quest for Civil War relics.

Hope to have an AT Max soon.

OP
OP
N

Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hal, I’m a little confused about zero mode vs all metal mode. How are they different? My Max manual still has me a little confused. I’m pretty new at all this.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If it's the same as the at gold, all metal is mono tone and pro zero is multi tone.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
We run the Max in Zero mode (all 3 modes in the max are Pro) . Using iron audio (in zero mode) will give you a "Growl, Beep, Growl" definitely letting you know that your coil is over a pesky bottle cap . We run the Max with the 5X8DD coil which is adequate for our needs ( lighter weight and does great in tight area's and heavy trash) :)

Last edited:

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I am receiving my AT Max and am super excited. My question is how you that have it (or even have the ATP) would recommend setting it up for hunting civil war epics in a field that is loaded with old nails. I finally found my first civil war bullet a couple weeks ago but have been back to that field and am wasting tons of time digging up nails. I think maybe my X Terra 705 isn’t able to distinguish between the two well enough. I want to head out bright and early tomorrow morning with the Max to that field and see what it can do. I have watched the new YouTube vids from Garrett on how to use it but still don’t know the best way to set it up for this particular purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated

When doing a cellar hole, use the 5X8DD coil and remove the iron trash. Then switch to the big DD or big elliptical concentric coil to find those cool targets. Open fields, use the 5X8DD in heavy trash/iron. :)

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal, I’m a little confused about zero mode vs all metal mode. How are they different? My Max manual still has me a little confused. I’m pretty new at all this.

Zero mode is a "silent search" mode with no sounds until you are over a target, that target will give one of 3 tones depending on conductivity of that target. For example a nail will give a grunt or the lowest tone, a nickel will give a mid tone, and a quarter will give a high tone. This is the mode that you will probably use the most.
All metal mode will also detect "all metal targets" but has a steady, adjustable threshold hum until you scan over a target....but all targets will give a similar tone. You will had to use the target ID on the screen for any clues as to what the target may be. The benefit of All metal mode is that it is generally the most sensitive and deepest mode of a machine. A lot of relic hunters, including myself like this mode as to not miss thoughs deep relics. It is not a good mode for areas with moderate to extreme amounts of trash. Hope this helps. Be patient and I think you will love your new Max!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions