FYI...I Compared The 6.5" x 9" Concentric Coil With The 5" x 8" DD Coil On The MAX.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
FYI...I Compared The 6.5" x 9" Concentric Coil With The 5" x 8" DD Coil On The MAX.

MAX  dd vs. concentric.jpg

Interesting results......now you will most likely no get these depths in your soil. The greater the mineralization, the more the depth will suffer. And, if there is a lot of mineralization, the 5" x 8" DD coil will probably do better depth wise over the 6.5" x 9" coil. However, in the medial conductivity range, gold/pulltab area, the 6.5" x 9" concentric coil really out performed the DD coil, by a substantial margin.

On the plus side of concentric coils, they get a better degree of accuracy identifying targets both audibly and on the screen. This is a real bonus, if you are a jewelry hunter, and hunt parks for coins and jewelry. They also perform well in the water. If you learn to pinpoint off the inner front toe, as you hold the pinpoint button and move the coil from the center back away from the target, the point where the target cuts out is dead center of where the target is. Another trick when pinpointing this way, is to listen to the audio when it cuts out. The faster it abruptly stops, the more shallow the target is. So, without looking at the screen, you can estimate the depth of the target. Concentric coils also tend to read screw caps not as a coin, but junk.

On the plus side of DD coils, they work better in higher, mineralized soils. They may outperform a concentric coil by separating targets in junky areas, but not by a whole lot.

Both these coils work well in the woods, where saplings are plenty, in rocky areas and in the water, when you need a smaller coil but still need good depth to find targets.

Take a good lock at the graph, and see how the two coils differ.

Below is a quick diagram on how to pin-point off the inner coil on the toe end. I suggest you get some liquid white out, and make a nice small dot, as shown on the coil.

addon.jpg

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice information. I understand the depth diff but wouldn't expect it to be that much. Interesting.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Wow nice information. I understand the depth diff but wouldn't expect it to be that much. Interesting.

I too was surprised. I most certainly wasn't expecting that coil to be so hot on gold.

John

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the in-depth test/info on the coil, John. -- I ordered one for my AT's, as I have been wondering about that coil specifically -- I already have all the rest of them. :-)

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Thank you for the in-depth test/info on the coil, John. -- I ordered one for my AT's, as I have been wondering about that coil specifically -- I already have all the rest of them. :-)

Post your results/opinion on that coil.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post your results/opinion on that coil.

Well after nearly a year using the 6.5" x 9" Concentric Coil I must say that I am VERY impressed by it! I've used it in areas absolutely littered with bottle caps, and it is almost never fooled by one, which is a HUGE plus over the DD coils where bottle caps (and square nails) are present. I call it the "bottle cap be gone coil," and the "quarter killer," as well, as I will mention in a minute...

The depth is also impressive, even in fairly mineralized soil. I would say my results pretty much mirror yours, John.

The first thing I noticed last year was that the response over a target is slower than the 5x8 DD coil, which I assume would be due to the wider detection field. Target separation isn't as good compared to the 5x8 DD, which is to be expected for the same reason.

The 6.5" x 9" concentric coil is heaver than the 5x8 DD, but is still easy to swing all day and it has very good ground coverage.

The target ID is a little more stable than the DD. Pinpointing is a breeze, but I never had any problem pinpointing with DD coils, but for those who do, they would be well served by this coil.

Interestingly, my quarter count has nearly doubled in the last year of testing this coil. So I can say wholeheartedly that 6.5" x 9" concentric coil LOVES quarters, hence why I call it the "quarter killer." And it sniffs out nickles even better than the DD I believe.

Bottom line: This coil is most certainly a winner when it comes to areas infested with bottle caps, and it's probably the sleeper coil for the Garrett AT series.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions