Hello from Yuma Arizona!

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just getting started and enjoying it! I am a retired land surveyor and used the Schonstedt GA-52Cx Magnetic Locator to locate property corners! It was a blast & I never forgot that!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys, I'm actually not a "new" member in that I Joined this forum & became interested in detecting some months ago however I still have no equipment and am now ready for my first detector and am in need of guidance. I don't remember much about what I initially learned and now looking at the Garrett Ace 250 or 300. My budget is around 300 bucks and I'm wondering if there are auctions (besides ebay) for detectors. Any info appreciated. How about this deal?

https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Metal-Detector-Waterproof-Search/dp/B01M1926ES/ref=sr_1_14?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1515495748&sr=1-14&keywords=metal+detectors

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seems like a great price for what's offered. Never heard of any type of metal detector auction. Some of the metal detector sponsors/sellers offer "refurbished" detectors at a good price. As far as YUMA, AZ, great general area to detect, worked down there many years ago, and the spots I came across, BEFORE I ever thought of metal detecting, if I can go back to then, with what I have now.........No matter, good luck and enjoy the hobby. Welcome to this Forum "Lexicon7"

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you finally decide on Lexicon - if you have a choice - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was going for VP, "Supporting Vendors"

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Lexi.

My dad was a surveyor, so I spent my summers trapesing through the woods, with a bush ax! Heat, humidity, stickers, bugs and mud... ah, the good old days.

A gently used machine might be a good deal for you.

Good luck to you sir.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Hobby & Forum! :occasion14:

Here is a Great Deal from a trusted sponsor on a Super machine with a lifetime warranty! Tesoro Mojave

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just getting started and enjoying it! I am a retired land surveyor and used the Schonstedt GA-52Cx Magnetic Locator to locate property corners! It was a blast & I never forgot that!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the great responses... I will update as we go...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys, I'm actually not a "new" member in that I Joined this forum & became interested in detecting some months ago however I still have no equipment and am now ready for my first detector and am in need of guidance. I don't remember much about what I initially learned and now looking at the Garrett Ace 250 or 300. My budget is around 300 bucks and I'm wondering if there are auctions (besides ebay) for detectors. Any info appreciated. How about this deal?

Feel free to give me a ring if you have specific questions. I help customers all the time with questions like yours and since your a forums member can save you some $ usually! Thanks, Bart.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. What a healthy hobby you are getting interested in. Before I spent big money on detectors I found alot with an ace. I had detected for years and had many cheap machines but I bought an ace and found a silver barber dime in the field 100 yards from my house. I was hooked after that.

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry, that sounds interesting because in looking at the two of them the Mojave looks like a bare bones rig not that I know anything about detectors..
Can you tell me more about the Mojave brand and perhaps why the Garret's are all over the web and if you hadn't told me about the Mojave I'd never have known?
Could it be kind of an insider brand? Do you really think it would be a good first detector for quite a bit less? The Ace 400 is $340. at Amazon and others...

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lexicon, I have nothing against Amazon, but I feel you might be better off going with a KNOWN Vender. Seems to be a really good deal with KellyCo, I've dealt with them for over 25yrs. Then there is a reply from Bart, of "Big Boys Hobbies", something to think about there, a vendor that reads these post and offers to help with infro. That may be a good way to go.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
>>>Hey Terry, that sounds interesting because in looking at the two of them the Mojave looks like a bare bones rig not that I know anything about detectors..
Can you tell me more about the Mojave brand and perhaps why the Garret's are all over the web and if you hadn't told me about the Mojave I'd never have known?
Could it be kind of an insider brand? Do you really think it would be a good first detector for quite a bit less? The Ace 400 is $340. at Amazon and others..<<<

Tesoro machines are made in my home state of Arizona, in Prescott. Like Garrett, it is a family owned business. Yes, Tesoro machines do seem "bare bones" or even "toy-like" to folks new to the hobby, but they are some of the best machines on the market, beating machines twice as expensive for depth and sensitivity. The Mojave, is a "turn-on-and-go" machine, perfect for the beginner, or seasoned pro. Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry, I am listening and like what I am hearing. I love Arizona and live here a good chunk or each year as a snowbird.
I love the lifetime warranty and what you have conveyed to me makes great sense. Thanks for taking the time to assist.
I am very close to ordering one right now! One more thing, would you suggest that since the price is considerably less than
the Ace 400 I select a higher level model or would your strongest recommendation be to simply begin with the unit in question
since after all, it is my first detector... I am very excited to get started. Have been wanting to do this for some time now...

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry, I am listening and like what I am hearing. I love Arizona and live here a good chunk or each year as a snowbird.
I love the lifetime warranty and what you have conveyed to me makes great sense. Thanks for taking the time to assist.
I am very close to ordering one right now! One more thing, would you suggest that since the price is considerably less than
the Ace 400 I select a higher level model or would your strongest recommendation be to simply begin with the unit in question
since after all, it is my first detector... I am very excited to get started. Have been wanting to do this for some time now...

I would make the Mojave your first machine, as even when you are ready to move up to a more complicated one, you'll want to keep the Mojave. I have several Tesoro machines, but the trusty Mojave is always in the trunk as my chief scouting machine! :skullflag:

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright then the Mojave it is! Now, how about a pinpointer? I see just like the machines, the pointers have a wide range of prices...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok thanks... I'll check that out..

MM32KY

Greenie
Apr 23, 2017
Southern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lexicon7 I purchased a Tesoro Mojave last year and I have to say it will not disappoint you. I don't need the video game distractions. Beep and dig... I found $5.73 in clad yesterday in a little over 2 hours with very little trash... Yes, I was coin shooting..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread