New Propointer AT?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a new Garrett Propointer AT (orange) for Christmas to replace the one I've been using for the past couple of years, but something isn't right.

I'm trying to figure out if Garrett has made any changes to these pinpointers or if I got a counterfeit.

For starters the box, the pinpointer, and the holster look identical in every way, including the sticker on the cap. It even says made in USA. However when I turn it on it makes a different tone, when I hold the button to change settings there is little tune letting me know it's in the settings mode, the light just starts blinking really fast. When I press the button to toggle through the settings it only beeps and vibrates once per press of the button, and only vibrates once per press of the button on each of the three silent settings. I can't tell that the three power settings are any different, and it's just not as sensitive as my old one was. And when it comes in contact with the target it doesn't give a solid tone like the old one, just a fast beeping like it's close.

Has anyone else noticed any changes to the Propointer AT or do you think I got a fake?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After scrutinizing this thing and going over every detail I believe it's legit, but defective. So today I took it to the local Bass Pro Shop, but since they recently changed it over from Cabellas they no longer carry the Propointer AT. Now they only carry the Propointer II which is a turd (my opinion) so I couldn't just do a direct exchange.

So I guess I am going to have to try and send it back to Garrett and see if they will replace it.
(Fingers crossed)

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are awesome with customer service. They will swap it out for you.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it's Garrett's knockoff of the Chinese knockoff. 😂

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I called Garrett this morning to see if they could replace this pinpointer with one that works right and it turns out that it is indeed a counterfeit based in the serial number.

20190102_121556.jpg

20190102_121920.jpg

Identical in every way but function and serial number.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang, that stinks. I bought mine from a local garrett dealer cause I was afraid of getting a fake.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it purchased new at Bass Pro Shops or???

I just wasn't sure where he got it until today because I was trying to avoid telling him he got one that didn't work right. Apparently they (my inlaws) got it on Ebay. And no they didn't get it at a cheaper than expected or too good to be true price, it was still about $125.
After confirming it to be a counterfeit, I called to tell him the bad news and that he needs to demand a refund.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
To bad about your pointer but you should always buy from a dealer.But you did not buy it.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I called Garrett this morning to see if they could replace this pinpointer with one that works right and it turns out that it is indeed a counterfeit based in the serial number.

View attachment 1666691

View attachment 1666692

Identical in every way but function and serial number.

I hit the likes because I think it's great you're showing what's going on and how these jerks are ripping people off. I'm sorry that happened to you and your in laws and hope they get their money back.

I'm posting a pic of the end of mine just to show the comparison between the two. They both have the same amount of numbers in the serial and both start with 5. There are some other differences as you see, but that really would take someone either knowing for sure what the tag should say or have a known real one in front of you when ordering.

IMG_3451.PNG

The photo on the box is different than mine also... I didn't look at the book for comparison.

Good Luck!

Kace

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kace, yours was manufactured in the 18th week of 2018. drop the first digit, and you get the year followed by the week.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Kace, yours was manufactured in the 18th week of 2018. drop the first digit, and you get the year followed by the week.

Thanks MDS! I didn't know how the numbers worked.

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread