All Treasure Hunting

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard it can hit a gold, or silver ring right through a foot thick steel girder.

^.^

I herd thats true with there new multidopler radar technology....

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it’s not an entry level machine, I’m hoping for a multi-frequency!

If it's compared to a Ace 250, it most likely is somewhere in the "yellow" ACE lineup, and I do not believe you will see anything with multi-freq from Garrett ANY time soon. I'm thinking one might do better and with more bang to the buck with one of the Minelab's Vanquish series of detectors. Nothing wrong with Garretts, I started with a Garrett, and bought a couple more of them over the years, and I only use the Garrett Carrot for a pin-pointer, but only detect with Minelabs now. Almost any detector can be good if you enjoy it, but again, much depends on the operator him/herself. The Video? I've already forgotten it, it was that (un) good.

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Starting to not look like an entry level to me. Screenshot_20200424-112033_Drive.jpg

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't to awed by the video. From what I interpurted, it's going to be a potential simplex rival

Nubster

Apr 29, 2020
WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro w/Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New here...new to detecting so take what I have to say with a huge grain of salt...but my thought is that the Apex is going to create a new tier of detectors for Garrett. Ace < Apex < AT Series. So perhaps the Apex will be intended to compete directly with the Vanquish and perhaps (don't hold your breath) Garrett is cooking up something new for the AT series that will be comparable to the Nox series. You could argue that Garrett has a mid tier with the Ace 400 and AT Pro, but they don't have a mid-tier model. So I just think that Garrett is using the Apex to create a new seperation of their tiers.

OR....they are going after the Nox and the Apex is going to be Garrett's new high-end machine series knocking the AT series to mid-tier which kinda makes more sense, since the name Apex kinda makes you think top of the food chain. Apex predator kinda thing. And as great and iconic as the AT Pro is, and a lot of people feel that AT Max was kinda a swing and a miss...it just makes sense that Garrett needs something that competes with the Nox series, AT will be the Vanquish comparable tier, and Ace will remain as the lower-end level stuff. Who knows. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

I'm leaning towards the Apex as a mid-tier since they used the ACE in the promo video. Makes more sense that someone would upgrade from an ACE to a mid-tier detector rather than to a high-end machine. But the ACE might have been used simply because it's very recognizable so it still could be that the Apex is a new high-end series. Plenty of folks go from low-end to high-end. I think I'm just rambling at this point.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are in a very strange time for metal detectors, and Garrett is in a very strange position. Machines like the Simplex and Vanquish were gunning for the Ace series for sure, but you can argue that the Simplex finished gunning down the AT series and to compete with it this machine will have to outdo both of its own series. I don't know if they see it that way however. If they did I think we'd have see aggressive price reductions. If this machine simply falls somewhere between an Ace and an AT I'm not sure that's enough to stop the bleeding. It may for loyal supporters, sure. On the other hand if they were to do all the Simplex does and add some selectable frequencies they could have a winner and be back in it. I seriously doubt we will see simultaneous multi from Garrett or even Nokta-Makro anytime soon. In the case of Garrett there's no evidence they know how to do it or are working on it. In the case of Nokta-Makro I suspect they are finding out it's a whole different ball game. It's a whole different level of complexity and requires incredibly talented engineers. The only saving grace for them is that some older Minelab and Fisher Patents have expired making early forms of multifrequency fair game if they can reverse engineer them. Even this has proven difficult and last I knew has not been done. Goes to show you just how exclusive it is.

bparks

Greenie
Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So going off the video presentation today it will be a new model in the Ace series. Multi frequency, rechargeable battery, 2lbs, "rain proof", and without headphones the msrp will be around $499. With the z link headphones I think he said $580. He expects the actual sale price to be cheaper, around $420 without headphones and around $499 with them. Ship date looks to be July 2020.

Seems like it will be a solid machine entry to mid level machine. Not as cheap as a Simplex but it is multiple frequency if you care more for that. I believe it can be ground balanced which they said the Vanquish cant (or its auto ground balanced isn't as good as an actual ground balance. Idk). And the Apex is lighter than both the Simplex and the Vanquish. I'll be curious to see some actual side by side comparisons.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the presentation. Seems to be a "catch up" detector and not anything innovative. I was disappointed when it had the same tones as their previous detectors. I was hoping for new audio. Their tones are like nails on a chalkboard to me after switching to minelab. The presenter is correct, their Iron Audio is "annoying". Not sure why they cant make it a dull grunt sound, rather than an ear jerking scratchy sound. I'll check out some side by side comparison videos when they eventually come out. I dont expect it to out perform anything in its price range, because its not new technology. I wonder if anyone will do a side by side of an AT Pro and an Apex.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those folks at Minelab seem to have innovations pretty well covered and it was some time back. I think Garrett is finding out that catch-up is He--.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say, I'm eating some of my words today, and happily so. I'm all for American companies getting with the program with multifrequency and multiple single selectable. We've not heard the last from Garrett on platform announcements, bet on that. The Line that answers the Equinox and replaces the AT Series will likely have even more single selectable frequencies and more mult modes. It all sounds very similar to multi-IQ though, so get ready for that infamous Minelab lawsuit that comes anytime a company produces a competing machine utilizing even marginally similar technology. Other than that, damn, go Garrett! Still in shock. I'd happily move back to exclusively American equipment if it keeps going in this direction.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This "simultaneous multi-frequency" will depend entirely on how well they implemented it. Until people get to really shake it down, it is just three words that marketing came up with. Let's hope it earns the respect of the real users. But from what I've seen, Garrett isn't much of an innovator these days, so, we'll see.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
☠ Cipher;6507657 said:
I have to say, I'm eating some of my words today, and happily so. I'm all for American companies getting with the program with multifrequency and multiple single selectable. We've not heard the last from Garrett on platform announcements, bet on that. The Line that answers the Equinox and replaces the AT Series will likely have even more single selectable frequencies and more mult modes. It all sounds very similar to multi-IQ though, so get ready for that infamous Minelab lawsuit that comes anytime a company produces a competing machine utilizing even marginally similar technology. Other than that, damn, go Garrett! Still in shock. I'd happily move back to exclusively American equipment if it keeps going in this direction.

How did Whites pull off Multi-freq with the V3i (did they license it from Minelab?) - Can you patent a device that works on multiple frequencies .. I like the machine but for me personally I don't fing the advantage of running mulit freq unless you can see what each freq is doing (like the V3i) - Not sure they did enough to get me to give up my ORX though, but I might give it a run.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread