Census Error in 1930

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I had an interesting thing happen when researching my wife's family here in Mexico. Alas, I am not going to out my location, due to certain postings on the alleged treasure of Moctezuma not making it desirable to tell you where I live. And, I assure you there are Moctezuma's living all over Mexico. :D

Before they indexed the records a few years ago, [edited: I refer to Family Search records] I found the 1930 census records for our municipio (like county). I decided i wanted those records permanently, not limited to indexed access by individual names. So, I examined the URL box and found the sequence and manually downloaded them all, and have them stored in several places. Including, I hope, on CD or DVD. Gotta' check soon.

Anyway, the first entry if one subdivision of this municipio was a 13 year old girl, not the usual head of household followed by family members. The family name is Moctezuma, yes, descendants of the Emperors family. In fact, we know the original Moctezuma in that tree was Moctezuma I, many years before his grandson (?), the Moctezuma who fought Cortes. My wife is descended from the same Emperor.

Below her on that census page were several other younger kids. I talked to a friend and mentioned the very youngest one, who was born in 1929, based on her listed age at census time. She said, "I know her and visit her sometimes. I will ask her the names of her parents."

Eventually, she told me the name of the parents. I found them way back around the 10th page of that subdivision section, with an older sister.

It was apparent that the chief of census (my wife's scoundrel great-uncle **) gave out individual census pages to census workers and when they were all handed in, he sorted them out in order. And, messed up on this subdivision so instead of the first entry being the first head of household, the order was all botched up. Index search for an individual in that subdivision produces really strange results.

For example, if I search for that 13 year old girl, it places her in that last family on the previous subdivision.

Problem is, I don't think LDS will allow corrections on original documents that were microfilmed back in the early 70's. And, if and when someone else needs that subdivision the surviving Moctezuma will not be alive for an interview.

** I say scoundrel because that is what he was. An uncle told me many stories about him. He had two wives. No, not one in one house and another in another house. In fact they all three slept in the same bed. When I found his household in the census which he managed, he put it so his first wife was shown as living next door. I could tell a lot more, but I think the moderators like to keep this board suitable for almost all ages.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread