ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Fossett's Plane Found!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081002/ap_on_re_us/fossett_search

MAMMOTH LAKES, Calif. - Searchers found the wreckage of Steve Fossett's plane in California's rugged Sierra Nevada just over a year after the millionaire adventurer vanished on a solo flight, and the craft appears to have hit the mountainside head-on, authorities said Thursday.

Crews conducting an aerial search late Wednesday spotted what turned out to be the wreckage in the Inyo National Forest near the town of Mammoth Lakes, Sheriff John Anderson said. They confirmed around 11 p.m. that the tail number found matched Fossett's single-engine Bellanca plane, he said.

Anderson said no human remains were found in the wreckage.

"It's quite often if you don't find remains within a few days, because of animals, you'll find nothing at all," Anderson said.

Teams led by the sheriff's department would continue the search for remains Thursday, while the National Transportation Safety Board was en route to probe the cause of the crash, he said.

Most of the plane's fuselage disintegrated on impact, and the engine was found several hundred feet away at an elevation of 9,700 feet, authorities said.

"It was a hard-impact crash, and he would've died instantly," said Jeff Page, emergency management coordinator for Lyon County, Nev., who assisted the search.

After a hiker found identification belonging to Fossett earlier in the week, searchers began combing the rugged terrain on Wednesday. The wreckage was found about a quarter-mile from where hiker Preston Morrow made his discovery Monday.

The IDs provided the first possible clue about Fossett's whereabouts since he disappeared Sept. 3, 2007, after taking off from a Nevada ranch owned by hotel magnate Barron Hilton.

"I remember the day he crashed, there were large thunderheads over the peaks around us," Mono County Undersheriff Ralph Obenberger said, gesturing to the mountains flanking Mammoth Lakes.

Aviators had previously flown over Mammoth Lakes, about 90 miles south of the ranch, in the search for Fossett, but it had not been considered a likely place to find the plane.

The most intense searching was concentrated north of the town, given what searchers knew about sightings of Fossett's plane, his plans for when he had intended to return and the amount of fuel he had in the plane.

A judge declared Fossett, 63 when he disappeared, legally dead in February following a search for the famed aviator that covered 20,000 square miles.

Fossett made a fortune trading futures and options on Chicago markets. He gained worldwide fame for more than 100 attempts and successes in setting records in high-tech balloons, gliders, jets and boats. In 2002, he became the first person to circle the world solo in a balloon. He was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in July 2007.

He also swam the English Channel, completed an Ironman Triathlon, competed in the Iditarod dog sled race and climbed some of the world's best-known peaks, including the Matterhorn in Switzerland and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Fossett's Plane Found!

if it was animals that took the body,wouldn't there be blood or someother dna?.i'm just asking,don't know crap about the woods or animals unless their the chicago kind

OP
OP
ClonedSIM

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

bomber said:
if it was animals that took the body,wouldn't there be blood or someother dna?.i'm just asking,don't know crap about the woods or animals unless their the chicago kind
No clue bomber.

Does anyone know if Fossett's belongings found a couple of days back had anything to do with the search area being shifted to here?

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

again, no idea about DNA,but a piece of clothing?or blood from Fossett or whatever animal got to him.maybe one of our more outdoorsman types could explain

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

I wondered what could be found as well. Was the seat belt used and still latched together? Is the steering wheel deformed from pilot impact? Is there enough remaining to even recognize these parts? Could a pilot parachute out and let the plane crash if he wanted? ???

T

tulecanyon

the articles i have read said that the largest part of the aircraft found was the engine.
then NPR had a piece this morning that said part of the fuselage was found intact, probably the waist and tail sections as they have a positive id on the aircraft number.

no report of a fire, but high speed impact into mountains does not leave much of an airframe.

the critters had a year to clean the site.
no blood trial will be visible after a winter up there.
most of the human remains will be in the crash site unless the critters had small enough parts to transport.

too bad, fossett was a pioneer.

T

tulecanyon

MSN has a photo of fossett's aircraft. not pretty.

S

stefen

Kinda wonder if Fossett was flying into the mammoth's small craft airport located east of Highway 395.

If there was a major storm at the time of the crash, he may have been off course...apparently he did not file a flight plan.

The Mammoth Lakes area is some of the roughest portions of the Sierras...snowfall, even at the ski resort, can at times exceed 30 feet or more.

Fossett apparently flew straight into the vertical mountain side...and the wreck is most likely scattered and if so, will take some time to locate all of the pieces.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stefen said:
Kinda wonder if Fossett was flying into the mammoth's small craft airport located east of Highway 395.

If there was a major storm at the time of the crash, he may have been off course...apparently he did not file a flight plan.

The Mammoth Lakes area is some of the roughest portions of the Sierras...snowfall, even at the ski resort, can at times exceed 30 feet or more.

Fossett apparently flew straight into the vertical mountain side...and the wreck is most likely scattered and if so, will take some time to locate all of the pieces.

I lived in the area for almost 30 years and they do get tons of snow up in the area where they found they wreck. And that same area is nasty rough. Also, lots of mountain lions , coyotes and black bears.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HIO: First that is excellent GoldenTrout fishing country in the upper lakes., I have backpacked into the higher peaks to still unnamed lakes fishing alone. It is rough country, but beautiful. In those days you were alone, no one to bother you. An excellent place to jetson an aircraft if you wished to disappear.

Four things that bother me---

A) foss was an experienced Pilot, so filing a flight plan would be semi automatic, yet ??

B) He always carried a GPS transmitting ability wrist watch for locating him in an emergency, yet on this flight he left it behind? odd.

C: Most all aircraft must have a transponder for flight in controlled areas, as well as for locating the aircraft in the event of an accident. It is normally turned on at take off, yet ??

D: A high speed impact such as this would have collapsed much of the cockpit area around the unfortunate pilot also dismembering him. Much of the body would remain trapped in the crumpled pockets of the aircraft shell./ skin. This could not be reached by animals, perhaps by insects yes, but the bone structure would still remain trapped in the crumpled metal for identification . We shall see.

All in all, a complex series of unusual errors for a man that lived by "not making such errors". Completely out of character, unless, he deliberately decommissioned these devices and violated every rule that he ever learned about flying in Mt's, etc.

It almost appears as if he deliberately left the aircraft after setting a course to the high Sierras to crash, perhaps hoping that it would catch fire upon impact and so effectively disappear.

We shall see if any remains can be found on the official investigation, but, withhis holdings in question and a very high life insurance etc ----..hmmm.

El presently sceptical Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s and here I was gonna invite mi lovely tt on a camping trip sigh, twirling my handle bar moustache. mumbling "Curses, foiled again".

S

stefen

As you know as you drive north on 395, the airport is to the right of the westerly Mammoth Village turnoff...and the crash site is directly west...what, 30 miles or so?

A lot of unanswered questions...

Why was the shirt and ID found a 1/2 mile from the crash site? Was the ID in a shirt pocket and was it dragged by an animal...or by Fossett himself?

Did he bail out? If he did, it was cutting it short!

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006

If he wanted to disappear he could have just become a checkout person at Kmart...... they're nowhere to be found. ;D

OP
OP
ClonedSIM

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

How much was that life insurance worth, again? Certainly he was worth a good bit more alive, right?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Filing a flight plan is not automatic, or required in every circumstance. Radar coverage is non-existent in a lot of places in the U.S.

To locate body parts, the plane needs to be removed and taken to a facility for detailed investigation. We will not know, and they will not speculate, on physical remains at this time. It doesn't work anything like the CSI TV shows.

The weather could have erased any blood. Bone fragments will be present, but it is way too early in the investigation for that to be released.

There is any number of problems that could have arisen to cause the crash. Engine failure, clouds, night, tall mountain sides... it's happened a lot in our aviation history.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

markmopar said:
NTSB now says they have found remains. Enough to do a DNA test on.

Yep, just got this in from the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc. email.

Late Oct. 2, NTSB investigators said that a small amount of human remains was found in the aircraft, adding that it would be enough for a coroner to examine. The aircraft was discovered well across the California border in Madera County, a mountainous region with terrain above 9,000 feet, according to a tour operator in the area. A hiker exploring an off-trail area near Red's Meadow Oct. 1 found cash, a pilot's certificate with Fossett's name on it, a Soaring Society of America membership card with Fossett's name, and a badly weathered sporting license issued by the National Aeronautic Association...

OP
OP
ClonedSIM

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Real de Tayopa said:
HI AA: I am not, how about you? snifff

Don Jose de La Mancha
Well, neither of us, sure, but him??

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI my friend Guy in back: You posted -->

Filing a flight plan is not automatic, or required in every circumstance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Agreed comepletely, but I was referring to Fosset's normal habits as a pilot, to file semi automatically, especially over mountinous country, for this very present reason..
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You also posted -->

There is any number of problems that could have arisen to cause the crash. Engine failure, clouds, night, tall mountain sides... it's happened a lot in our aviation history.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again I am in comeplete agreement, plus pilot error, of which I am guilty.. However, in the light of the other factors, I will remain sceptical. Too many out of character things happened.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI my old friend arf: You posted -->

Well, neither of us, sure, but him
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He more then we, since it is rumored that his stock ventures were on delicate ground, possibly on very losing ground, subject to a call. which might just have bankrupted him.. Sooo, just disappear in an aircraft accident and collect the extremely high life insurance. double indemnity.

prob way off base, but so far I am suspicious, it would be similar for you to be embracing and practicing Dowsing. hrhrhrhe.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread