nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Everyone,I am curious if anyone has ever found anything interesting behind a fireplace mantle? My home was built pre Civil War and it has 4 fireplaces,2 in the parlor,1 in our living room which used to be the cooking area and 1 in the master bedroom.I am getting ready to transform the parlor into a bedroom and large bathroom,anyway i removed one of the mantles so i can close up the fire brick wall for the new transformation and looking in the back of the mantle was all kinds of neat relics to be found.There were several buttons,one dated 1867,a piece of a letter from 1887 some very old match sticks and a merchurachrome (iodine)medicine bottle that is like new and still full of contents with the cork top looking as it was never removed.I found myself looking very hard at the other mantles wondering what may be just sitting there waiting for me to discover.I guess i will keep those a mystery for now as i don't want to take a chance of messing them up.
I haven't ever posted pics before,so when i get it figured out,i will send a pic of my finds and a pic of the back of the mantle.
Nova Treasure

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
check under the floor boards around the fireplace too! whenever i'm on a job in an old house and the floor is up i allways spend ages around the fireplaces looking through al the years of crap dropped from the mantle piece :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread