Am Buying A Gold Detector - Suggestions Please?

Oct 19, 2008
I live in the Dalonega, Georgia, and most of you on this forum know what that means. Many of these creeks and dried-up washes are still holding a lot of gold, and finding it now it's become necessary to rely on technology to dig only when necessary. This is an instrument that will be used exclusively for gold nuggets, placer deposits, and gold coins in the surrounding banks. I'm currently planning on purchasing a White's MXT-300, which so far, by reading all of the reviews, seems to be one of the best units on the market.

Right now, this is where we are leaning, but that can changed based on the input of professionals that know much more than I do. I'm on Social Security, am right in the middle of one the of the best gold fields in America, so this will be far more than a hobby for me, which is why we are going all-in to give us every edge possible. Next will be a small dredge, but to start, we're counting on using the natural geology and backtracking to find what many have missed.

Thanks.

Bill

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, the MXT 300 is not a good detector for your gold hunting as it is more of a general coin, Relic, and bigger nugget finder. That larger coil will definitely get deeper, but can not respond to tiny nuggets like a true gold detector like the GMT, Gold bug, Stinger or Tesoro's Lobo. Then of course there are the higher priced Minelabs. All these true gold detectors have the extra gain and sensitivity to locate the smallest grains which the MXT 300 can't see. You will also need the smaller coils for getting between the rocks.

Welcome to the hobby and go have fun. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,
Sandman

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Hi Bill

Welcome to the T'Net Forum! There are alot of knowledgeable people here, and many willing to offer advice to a newbie.

I just went through the decision making process you are facing now. I went with the White's GMT. I live in Washington State, wanted a machine that would find the small stuff, and could deal with the high mineralization we have around here. I've heard good things about the MXT, mainly on it's versatility, because it is good for coins and relics too, as well as gold. But I already have an Ace 250 that I use for coins and relics, and wanted a gold machine that would give me the best advantage within my budget, so I got the GMT because of the higher frequency. I like the versatility of being able to choose between auto ground balance and manual. When I first got it, having never used a manual ground balance machine before, I was happy to work in auto. Now that I'm beginning to learn what the sounds are telling me, I'm starting to use manual ground balance more, and I'm glad I have the option to fine tune it to my preferences. I also find that I use the "follow black sands" feature more than I thought I would. I like to be down by the streams, find the black sands, and then do some panning. I was considering the Lobo SuperTraq for the auto ground balance feature, but the GMT has that feature too, plus you have the option of manual ground balance as you get more proficient with your machine.

I can say I've been very happy with the White's GMT so far. Not alot of gold yet, but that's my fault, not the machine's! :D

Good luck with your decision, and happy hunting!

Kilika

OP
OP
N
Oct 19, 2008
Sandman said:
Bill, the MXT 300 is not a good detector for your gold hunting as it is more of a general coin, Relic, and bigger nugget finder. That larger coil will definitely get deeper, but can not respond to tiny nuggets like a true gold detector like the GMT, Gold bug, Stinger or Tesoro's Lobo. Then of course there are the higher priced Minelabs. All these true gold detectors have the extra gain and sensitivity to locate the smallest grains which the MXT 300 can't see. You will also need the smaller coils for getting between the rocks.

Welcome to the hobby and go have fun. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,
Sandman
In spite of the great reviews of the White MTX-300, I can see where the coil configuration of the Stinger is superior to getting into those hard to reach places that are so prevalent in the Georgia creeks and rivers. I also noted that its on sale now, and purchasing it with a gob of accessories, along with an option for: "Upgrade your Scorpion Gold Stinger to a 2 Coil Pro Includes a 5 x 10" Coil and a 3 x 7" Coil for a total price of $535.95" seems to be a decent value. It will also put me out there before it gets unreasonably cold while I attempt to learn and apply what I've learned from the local historical records. I think that while I really like some of the features of the MXT-300, the price difference seems to be reasonable, especially since I'm a beginner. I appreciate the heads-up.

Thanks again,

Bill

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
NewbieinGeorgia, Live right around the corner from you. I own a Goldbug2 and it is excellent for gold nuggets all the way down to BB size. Check it out. It's light, efficient and not all that expensive. Also you will find that using a detector here you will run into alot of iron. It needs to be dug as you will find the occasional goldmining tool from the past. I use a DFX also around the old mines.

leorob007

Greenie
Aug 2, 2005
Pulaski, TN.
Detector(s) used
Milelab Explorer XS
Garrett Infinium LS
Gold Detector,

I love my Garrett Infinium LS.

I have the Minelab Exolorer XS Pro
and the Garrett Infinium LS.

I look for coins, civil war, and gold even underwater.

I also pan and dredge for gold.

If you would like to get together some time, anytime as I am retired give me
a call or email.

Leonard Roberts
294 Ariel Drive
Harvest, AL. 35749

[email protected]
[email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions