Some may liken it to lipstick on a pig, but...

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
I was going to get my Grandson, Noah, a single-shot bolt action .22 this Christmas. He will be 11 years old. Two weeks ago, I was knocking around an old pawn shop in town, and found a Marlin-Glenfield model 10. This could fit the bill I thought, but the stock was cracked in two places, the forend cracked, all bluing gone, front sight gone, and other minor problems. Price was 65.00. I got it for 57.50. After cleaning out the tube I saw the usual M-G Microgooved rifle was in pretty good shape but the barrel had a ring about two inches from the muzzle.

I chopped two and a half inches off the barrel, and 1 inch off the stock. All cracked wood got a dose of Gorilla Glue and brass screws. Rust was scrubbed from the metal, barrel, receiver, bolt, etc. The stock was sanded and a textured black finish was applied thereunto. The metal work, except for the bolt got a coat of Brownell's Baking Lacquer in the Light Park color. Since I had no front sight, I removed and reshaped the rear sight to a medallion, and added a short 4 X 30 scope on 1" X 3/8" mounts. I think it looks pretty good. Now to get her bore sighted and she ready to go for a Christmas present.

rifle002.jpg

rifle003.jpg

rifle004.jpg

rifle005.jpg

rifle006.jpg

rifle008.jpg

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bed liner (?) got any before pix?

pictures when you guys go to "church" :thumbsup: :headbang:

dirty kitty in the first pic :icon_cat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a first class job for a starter rifle. I like the textured stock. Maybe a set of sling swivels would add to his thoughts of adding a sling to it himself.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still remember my first .22. It was a Christmas present in 1956 and it was the best present,(to me) that I ever got. She was used but, she was a beauty.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO RAY: If you take ore than one shot to sight it in you are boo boooing!

Fire one shot, then without moving the rifle, simple move the scope's sighting point to the center of the bullet impact. Only one shot needed.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. An excellent starter rifle, just bought one for my grand son.

T

The.Boomer

Just curious what you guys think qualifies this as a "Starter" Rifle, is it the caliber ?

Just asking because a .22 is more deadly than bigger calibers. Don't get me wrong I'm a strong supporter of the right to bear arms and starting a kid young is the perfect way to teach 'em right. I just have a problem with anyone calling any gun a starter gun. I guess if your referring to the condition or price paid, that still has no effect on it's capabilities to kill, (condition after the Revs most righteous recondition job :thumbsup:) I carry a gun daily for a living and I just wanna start a movement that there are no starter guns, just starter shooters.

OP
OP
RevJoel

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
I am kicking myself in the rump for not taking a before pic! The stock finish is something I came up with. Egads! I should have just thought of bed liner, but I didn't. I started with an undercoat of Plasti-Kote's "Stone". This is spray paint that has a pebbly rocky texture. This was oversprayed with a Krylon product called "Chalkboard" which is a semi-gloss black. Thank for asking!

As to a one shot sight in, I usually pull the bolt, and sight the target through the barrel of the firearm. Then make the cross hairs line up with what I saw through the bore. Fire one and pull to it without moving the rifle. Fire two to check if all is well, then fire 5 for group.

T

trish76642

You did a fine job Rev! and im just a girl! But i know a fine job when i see one! :thumbsup:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job on the .22 I just gotta know, do you guys let the cat lick you too?

OP
OP
RevJoel

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
Ha! As if you could make a cat not lick you!

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mornig REV: You posted -->

As to a one shot sight in, I usually pull the bolt, and sight the target through the barrel of the firearm. Then make the cross hairs line up with what I saw through the bore.
~~~~~

At what distance? I used that also, the only potential problem was centering the visual sghitng. The other system can be used at 50 or 100 meters which automatically takes into account the trajectory factor..

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. I still lhave my Winchester 94 / 30 30 that I received for my 13 th birthday, needless to say it is both symbolic and useful. However, I haven't used it since my teens, I graduated to a .375 H&H as my all around load, and became proficient in pistol shooting. I will post some pictures of my grandson's progress. .

He is still infaturated with his OWN 22 rifle, a sort of coming of age thingie for him, even thoughhe isn't a teen ager any more.. He was raised in Mexico where private ownership of firearms is effectively prohibited and violent crime has exploaded.

OP
OP
RevJoel

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
I sight in .22 at 50 yards using a variety of ammo. Usually one brand will out shine the rest. For example, I have my own Marlin bolt action repeater that groups 3/8" at 50 yds with Federal Standard Velocity ammo. Any thing else and the grouping goes to h*ll in a handcart! CCI minimags were the worst, 3 and 3/4" at 50 yds.

Thanks for asking!

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread