Moral and Ethics of Finders Keepers

S

stefen

This morning while stopping for breakfast, I started to put several quarters into a newspaper vending machine and this guy came up and said; "I'll go halves with you and we both get a newspaper".

I looked at him and said; "Isn't that stealing?"

He replied; "I used to work for those bastards, so I don't care."

I smiled and looked at him and told him because he had no ethics or morals, I wasn't going to be sucked in to his way of thinking or lifestyle...I took my newspaper, closed the machine and left. As I walked away, I heard several epithats, one of which was physically impossible.

Finders keepers, is no different, especially when someone is providing a paid service to a property owner, which in my judgement, is theft. It goes to the character of the person who is the finder...do they have ethics or morals? What about the people that say to keep a tight lip?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I not sure what your saying, do you mean(heres 10.00 bucks now find my property stake)Wi'll hes looking he find old coins, articfacs,axhead,does he keep them as in tite lip,or does the owner get them.if he spills the beans.Or should that be agreed apound first. :thumbsup:

K

Kentucky Kache

I agree with stefen. Unless you have permission to detect, in which case the owner knows you intend to find something of value, then you have no moral right to take someone's property.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very simply....If I were to detect something for someone....and that's a big IF........I'd let them know up front that I was going to keep anything else I accidentally found or at the very least...split 50-50. (you know you get those that will just walk right behind you).

No bones about it. :wink:

Al

OP
OP
S

stefen

Cache Crazy said:
I agree with stefen. Unless you have permission to detect, in which case the owner knows you intend to find something of value, then you have no moral right to take someone's property.

I am speaking of actions beyond simple detecting.

Actually, if a worker, contractor (or whoever) is on my property, and during the provision of the service or work, and find something of value, they have no legal right to keep what they find.

I am also questioning the ethical and moralistic values (or the lack, thereof) of people who think they are entitled to keep the property. This speaks of your upbringing and your personal values.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are right.....blatent theft if you take something from someones house without their knowledge...whether they know of it or not.

If you're a thief...is there any question what kind of morals you have?

And if you're a thief...and don't think you're a thief and try justifying your thievery...well...you must work for the US Government. :icon_jokercolor:

Al

K

Kentucky Kache

stefen said:
Cache Crazy said:

I am speaking of actions beyond simple detecting.

Actually, if a worker, contractor (or whoever) is on my property, and during the provision of the service or work, and find something of value, they have no legal right to keep what they find.

I am also questioning the ethical and moralistic values (or the lack, thereof) of people who think they are entitled to keep the property. This speaks of your upbringing and your personal values.

Yes, I know that. I was agreeing with you. But then, the next poster was asking what if you were finding a property marker...Anyway, that's what I was referring to.

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL
Wasn't it Jesus that said the logical thing to do was to leave the treasure alone, buy the property (field), then dig up the treasure?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread