Reference book on buttons needed

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Get "Dating Buttons" and "Uniform Buttons of the United States". Both books authored by "Warren K. Tice"

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The above listed book is #1. :thumbsup:

Also consider Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons by Alphaeus H. Albert.

These mentioned above are the Big Three. Then you can specialize into Transportation Uniform Buttons by Donald P. Van Court (Three volumes, and Pricey! :o)--or Hughes & Lester's The Big Book of Buttons if you're so inclined.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Ouch........ just did a search on the trans Uniform books.
I don't think my wife would be too keen on spending $500 on a set of button books. :) I think I can pull off one of the Tice books though......

thanks BB and Tom for your responses.

Regards,
Jules

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Albert's book, although admittedly somewhat dated, remains the definitive general reference for uniform buttons. While it is neither as thorough on individual buttons nor as beautifully presented as Tice's, it covers a much broader range of material. Many important buttons simply cannot be found in any other readily available reference.

Also, I believe that Tice's excellent Dating Buttons is, or was, out of print. If you can't find a copy, then I'd recommend American Military Button Makers and Dealers, Their Backmarks and Dates by McGuinn and Bazelon. This small volume was for many years the only good backmarks reference and is still well worth having.

As for Van Court's books on transportation buttons, they're actually quite affordable. This dealer lists them for around $35-45, depending on the volume:

http://www.cbweiser.com/books.htm

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
Albert's book, although admittedly somewhat dated, remains the definitive general reference for uniform buttons. While it is neither as thorough on individual buttons nor as beautifully presented as Tice's, it covers a much broader range of material. Many important buttons simply cannot be found in any other readily available reference.

Also, I believe that Tice's excellent Dating Buttons is, or was, out of print. If you can't find a copy, then I'd recommend American Military Button Makers and Dealers, Their Backmarks and Dates by McGuinn and Bazelon. This small volume was for many years the only good backmarks reference and is still well worth having.

As for Van Court's books on transportation buttons, they're actually quite affordable. This dealer lists them for around $35-45, depending on the volume:

http://www.cbweiser.com/books.htm

Thanks for the link, PBK! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Thanks PBK, for the site referral. I just emailed them inquiring on availability of the Don Van Court books. With any luck, I might order an early Christmas gift for myself :)

Kind Regards,
Jules

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread