Anybody take their dog detecting?

Lash

Nov 3, 2008
S. California
I'm new; just got my first MD. Plan to take my Lab with me because he needs more exercise. He loves to dig (You should see my back yard.). Maybe I can train him to dig targets. (Yuks.)

A dog would provide some security for a lone detectorist in a remote area, especially one like mine who sometimes growls at approaching strangers. He's never bitten anyone but he can put on a good show.

Could strap on saddlebags for him to carry some gear.

HH,

Lash

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a 'Search Dog in Training-DO NOT PET' vest for the Lab. That way you should be able to detect just about anywhere!

Attachments

• woof.jpg
    woof.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 378

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Lash said:
Good idea, Guy. Can I get one size XXL?

Geeze, sounds like a sausage dog.... with relish...

OP
OP
L

Lash

Nov 3, 2008
S. California
Dakota is a big boy. We call his fat butt South Dakota. He gets plenty of exercise but the kids feed him too much and give him treats throughout the day.

I take him with me whenever practical. Despite his girth, he's always down for a romp.

P

pippinwhitepaws

when i take the doggin with, i spend all my time wondering what he is into now....

<<<< note avatar...nose into everything.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seriously thinking on getting a dog. My partner has one and he takes her most everywhere. Very useful and necessary while hunting along the U.S.- Mexican border. There's some bad people in the desert and to them taking a life is noooo problem. >:(

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I took my dog out detecting with me...once. She was scared of the beeping noise that the detector made and she ran away. I had to chase after her and bring her home.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd take mine scouting for new sites...but he couldn't be trusted to see a deer and decide not to chase it.....I mean look at him....he was just a big kid....and chasing wildlife was just too much fun.

And do you really want a dog on a leash that big, ducking back and forth in front of you as you swing a detector?

And here's a Murphey's Law for you: If your dog takes a crap...a gold ring may just be right under that very spot. :thumbsup:

HH,
Al

Attachments

• 2004_0624Image0001.JPG
    2004_0624Image0001.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 348

bkraw2000

Oct 15, 2008
Muskego WI
Detector(s) used
garrett gta x550
I'll take the pooch .. She just walks around within 30 or 40 feet of me. She tends to keep others away from me. But its on her terms, only if she is not to "busy" napping to go with me.

Attachments

• asd 009.jpg
    asd 009.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 278

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Dogs to small to go detecting. My dog would rather bark and chase people then go metal detecting with me. Even though she loves to dig holes. She does it in the backyard. :thumbsup:

Mar 6, 2007
Heck Yah! Our Little Minpin loves to dig more than me! She was only about 9 weeks when she went on her first excursion. Maybe i'll have to take some photos of her helping next time. It's supposed to be nice up here for a couple days and me and a buddy already have a place planned.

Attachments

• PICT0060.JPG
    PICT0060.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 218

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a dog once. he was very smart. When I would go out and practice in my coin garden he would sit with his head cocked and his ears perked up and watch me. One day the little sob dug up my coins and ran away to somewhere? I could have killed him if I had caught him. Gosh I miss that dog! Now I have a new dog. Her name is Digsy. She thinks her name is Dixie. She is pretty smart too, but can't read or spell so she don't know the difference. She likes to dig. When I dig in my coin garden she pushes me aside and finishes digging for me. Stupid dog won't fill in her holes even though I've told her to a thousand times. Guess she isn't that smart after all? But she is a good girl and doesn't steal my coin garden coins. She doesn't run off either. At least not yet. If she did I'd miss her too. The end. Monty

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Lash said:
I'm new; just got my first MD. Plan to take my Lab with me because he needs more exercise. He loves to dig (You should see my back yard.). Maybe I can train him to dig targets. (Yuks.)

A dog would provide some security for a lone detectorist in a remote area, especially one like mine who sometimes growls at approaching strangers. He's never bitten anyone but he can put on a good show.

Could strap on saddlebags for him to carry some gear.

HH,

Lash

Only if he has his own detector and shares 50/50!

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Lash we take our 2 year old jack russell out with us every weekend, now we do keep on his turn out leash but he has a 25 foot turn out leash to keep him amused after running all day he usually is real quiet at night plus he can really let us know if someone shows up in the area that we are detecting. Of course if we are in a city park he just sits in the front seat and waits for us to get back
hh
dave+bobbie

m6 rook

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2007
n.e. philly
I have in the past taken my pooch ED in some iffy neighborhoods a 85lb. pitbull on a 26 ft. retractable leash,although he is pretty friendly he sure is intimidating!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
I had a dog once. he was very smart. When I would go out and practice in my coin garden he would sit with his head cocked and his ears perked up and watch me. One day the little sob dug up my coins and ran away to somewhere? I could have killed him if I had caught him. Gosh I miss that dog! Now I have a new dog. Her name is Digsy. She thinks her name is Dixie. She is pretty smart too, but can't read or spell so she don't know the difference. She likes to dig. When I dig in my coin garden she pushes me aside and finishes digging for me. Stupid dog won't fill in her holes even though I've told her to a thousand times. Guess she isn't that smart after all? But she is a good girl and doesn't steal my coin garden coins. She doesn't run off either. At least not yet. If she did I'd miss her too. The end. Monty

Bloody dang hilarious, thanks...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread