"Gunsmoke" got me thinking

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
"Gunsmoke" got me thinking

Hi all

I havn't posted much lately but I'vee been lurking and reading. Here in West Michigan we have about 2 feet of snow on the ground and it's still snowing :-\.

The other day I was watching "Gunsmoke" on TV Land and there was this scene where an old man had a water well out in the middle of nowhere and he charged two dollars for some water. Well the bad guy came buy and had some but was about to leave without paying and the old guy pulled a shotgun on him and the bad guy then got two Silver dollars from his pocket and threw them in the sand. Then the bad guy shot the old man.

Well, even though I know that this is fictional, I wondered if such things happened for real and there laying out in the middle of nowhere in the west and the plains and just about anywhere a person could still find such coins off the beaten path where one would never suspect...anyway just thinking... :icon_scratch:

Enjoy your winter, by hook or by crook I'm going to have a new DFX300 by time the ground thaws in April

HH
MichiganRob

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Re: "Gunsmoke" got me thinking

I love Gunsmoke Rob. You never know what might be where? I imagine some of those people back in the 1800's were alone for long periods of time and some probably got a little crazy being alone for so long. It's hard to say what they could have done. I like relic hunting out in the woods or abandoned farms, it amazes me how items end up where they do. I found a 1876 nickel out in the middle of a pasture that was probably never plowed or worked at all. How it got there is anyones guess.
My nephew went to a farm/retirement auction where there were several old canning jars down in the old cellar outside the farm house. He asked if they were going to sell the jars and they told him he could have them if he wanted to drag them out. While he was down there getting the jars he noticed some loose bricks and found 3 jars of old coins hidden in the wall.
Whether lost or hidden you never know where something might be. Good luck getting your new toy for the spring thaw, HH Charlie.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21

MichiganRob said:
Hi all

I havn't posted much lately but I'vee been lurking and reading. Here in West Michigan we have about 2 feet of snow on the ground and it's still snowing :-\.

The other day I was watching "Gunsmoke" on TV Land and there was this scene where an old man had a water well out in the middle of nowhere and he charged two dollars for some water. Well the bad guy came buy and had some but was about to leave without paying and the old guy pulled a shotgun on him and the bad guy then got two Silver dollars from his pocket and threw them in the sand. Then the bad guy shot the old man.

Well, even though I know that this is fictional, I wondered if such things happened for real and there laying out in the middle of nowhere in the west and the plains and just about anywhere a person could still find such coins off the beaten path where one would never suspect...anyway just thinking... :icon_scratch:

Enjoy your winter, by hook or by crook I'm going to have a new DFX300 by time the ground thaws in April

HH
MichiganRob

Happens all the time. Some of these old coots, that have claims, will shoot you if they think you are high grading or in some cases just going on their claim. They think that they own private property rights even though everyone has the right, on BLM land to enjoy that property. They only have the right to the minerals on that property. Every so often, this happens in Crown King or Bumblebee, AZ or in Happycamp, CA. All I can say is pack iron yourself. I do so even in MI. Get a CCW in MI. Sometimes I think that MI is more dangerous than running into a couple of Vietnam veteran propectors armed to the teeth in the Tonto National Forest in AZ, and I have been there and done that.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Miss Kitty: Matt, did you send Festus over to Ft Hays?
Matt: Sure did. He should be back in about a week or so.
Miss Kitty: No, he's already back. He left his mule here and
took your horse instead.
lastleg

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II

I have made good finds out in the middle of nowhere, you just never know. BTW, I grew up watching Gunsmoke back in the early 50's, back then it was Chester and Matt but Festus is my hero, he played his part very well. Never did care for Burt Reynolds in the series. HH John

OP
OP
MichiganRob

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350

Yeah I like Festus too...Not Burt Reynolds though that's Buck Taylor who plays Newly

HH
MichiganRob

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

They just don't make tv shows like they used to....loved Gunsmoke.

I rely on just what you asking......fictional or not....in the middle of nowhere is where I do my hunting.

We don't have deserts here, but we have mountains and hills. They stripped the mountains clean during the great lumbering days...saw mills were everywhere, lumbering camps disappeared into oblivion as did a lot of the old mining camps, small railroad towns, and who knows what else was around back in "Them days".

I picture that tired lumberjack sitting on the ground, eating his dinner, baggy pants...change falls out...The guy that goes off into the woods to use the bathroom......the tree that fell injuring someone and his pockets dump as they carry him out.....a guy burying his weeks pay for safe keeping and forgetting it's whereabouts or never having the opportunity to recover it...

All very real possibilities. So why not someone getting shot in the middle of the desert over water....sounds rational, even possible....

TV got their ideas from somewhere and in turn gave ideas for future events.

Patience and diligence...you may cover quite some area and never find a thing....but...if you don't look, you'll never find.

Al

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

TexasDigger1 said:
I have made good finds out in the middle of nowhere, you just never know. BTW, I grew up watching Gunsmoke back in the early 50's, back then it was Chester and Matt but Festus is my hero, he played his part very well. Never did care for Burt Reynolds in the series. HH John
Chester was played by Dennis Weaver not Burt Reynolds, but Burt Reynolds did play on the show from 1962-64 as Quint Asper.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

Farmercal said:
TexasDigger1 said:
Chester was played by Dennis Weaver not Burt Reynolds, but Burt Reynolds did play on the show from 1962-64 as Quint Asper.

Reynolds played the blacksmith i think. Take your word for the name. After that he was Dinah Shore's toy boy until he got famous on his own. siegfried schlagrule

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I saw an episode of 'Bonanza' the other day where a fellow had a loose rock in the masonry around his well for a stash spot.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II

Correct, Burt R. was the blacksmith. Newly, Buck Taylor, still lives here in Texas, he and James Arness are the only ones still alive....

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buck Taylor is an exceptional artist and makes a good living selling his art. He comes to Silver Dollar City every year and sits up a booth. He is real personable and friendly and easy to talk to...He has done paintings of James Arness and they are signed by both Buck and Mr Arness....Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread