Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
Last night I was watching a show on the History of gold, and it included a story of the Black Bull Treasure. The guy looking for it was Stephen Shaffer. I googled " black Bull " and really didn't get anything and for Shaffer I only received a little... So, has anyone ever heard of this tale ?? or Shaffer ?? Can or will anyone elaborate on it ?? Supposedly there were 80 bars of gold left in a cave in Wyoming or Montana area... Just trying to see if this tale is true or not...

Thankx
PLL

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I know about Shaffer is what a friend told me. He went to a speaking engagement for Shaffer, and while he was there, two guys showed up passing out flyers showing how Shaffer had plagiarized their works in his books.

Other than that, I can't say.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankx guys.... But when I googled " black Bull " treasure... nothing came up. Anyone ever heard of this one ??

PLL

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if he has made up a name "Black Bull" so others won't start looking for it. Why don't you do a search for lost treasures in the area mentioned, take what you know about the treasure and start eliminating potential sites and see what is left. You may find out about it by another name. I doubt that 80 lost gold bars is a very big secret, someone besides him knows about it.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scubasalvor said:
All I did was type "Black Bull Treasure" in a Google search and came up with this: http://www.uintahtreasure.thunting.com/blackbullmine.html.

scubasalvor,
I read the link and ain't buying it.

First, if you figure that the pine trees would have had to be big enough to carve on and then 400 more years pass there is no way in this world that one would see any recognizable carvings on the surface of the bark. 400 year old carvings on a living pine tree would be buried under several feet of growth rings. If the trees were dead when carved they would have rotted away long ago.

Second, show anyone a pile of gold bars that weigh 10 lbs. each, they can have as many as they want. See if they only take 1 of them. I don't care how old the person is nor if on foot, horse or jeep they are going to take all of them up to what ever they can stick in their pockets, belt, under their arms or up their ***. They would never leave them laying there for someone else to stumble across.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
This guy Shaffer had as he put it, " over 4000 " treasure symbols in a binder that he carried. He was showing the signs ( in trees etc ) and how the applied. He also mentioned that " it looks like other THr's that came earlier " re marked " the trees for future THr's.....

PLL

ancienthunter

Oct 8, 2006
Hi there. I'm Steve Shaffer and I usually don't post on these sites but rather just read. However, I want to defend myself where as I did not take anyone's work for my books. If you have my books you can go to the reference page to see where I obtained my information. Its all up and up.

I wrote La Mina del Yuta's, Of Men and Gold, Treasures of the Ancients, Nachi and Out of the Dust. I have been working on Spanish Historical events i,e, Treasures, mines etc for over 40 years. I have amassed thousands of Spanish and Mexican symbols and codes during this time. I have walked out every symbol and code I published so I could give the meanings of them knowing that they either worked or didn't. I am the President of "The We Nooch Society" which is an archeological Preservation Society. We strive to preserve historical sites and artifacts.

Please visit my website and if you have questions you can email me. My email address is on the site.

www.ancienttreasurehunter.com

thanks,
steve shaffer

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Mr. Shaffer:

Thank you for your post!

I'm very happy to read an author who supplies references and notes. This makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve,
I watched the show and was REALLY disappointed when at the end of the rainbow there was no pot of gold... :( :( :( I was wondering though, did you ever go back and look in the underground river ?? Or possibly downstream.....to see if the bars " may " have washed down ??? Anyway... THANK YOU for posting here, we ( I'm sure ) would love to hear from someone like yourself from time to time, so don't be a stranger....

Thankx
PLL

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post. I was hoping to run into you some time or another, so I could ask about that.

I know that when it comes to treasure hunting, there is not tons of proprietary information (some, but not tons), and when somebody puts a story somewhere that some guy thought was his personal secret, they jump to claim it was stolen. That's why I made it clear I didn't know you personally.

Best-Mike

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Steve welcome. I have your site filed.
~~!!~~

Bookaroo, you posted -->

I'm very happy to read an author who supplies references and notes
~~~~
What about when YOU are the basic source ??? When everything else is just rumor, denial, speculation , or simply distorsion of what is little known ??

Ex. Tayopa or Atlantis / Azatlan he he he
~~!!~~

Don Jose de La Mancha (El secluded Saint)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread