Anyone use Handheld GPS to help find

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::) Most of us men would rather use memory,or a map,rather than let a little female voice tell us where to go. But I am not talking about the car attatched "Tom-Tom",or "Garvin" on the dashboard. I am talking ---Handheld GPS--
.......................Is anyone familiar with handheld GPS? Can you use it to locate a site you have researched on an old map ?
Can you mark location of your latest find ? Or Mark (In an unfamiliar site )the location of where you left your vehicle so you can find your way back .?..LOL,,,I know I would not want to admit it but if I had a GPS.....That is one thing I would use it for LOL.
Lastly.........Since I am an (Older Soldier... .....quite familiar with the Map & Compass )But very unfamiliar with the handheld GPS.
I am doing the research this winter about Handheld GPS,and would like to use it for the things I mentioned above.
I could probably give up as much as $400-$500.......To own one,but I don't want to have to pay a subscription fee,nor would I want to have to buy a (Software---set of Maps) I would like it self contained with a set of maps,2008 or newer,that I could { Don't TELL my Wife},,,use to drive by as well.
Any ideas / I am sure I will have more questions ,as soon as some of these are answered.
Thanks for any HELP.... :icon_jokercolor:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garmin makes many fine GPS's that are hand held. Most now come with preloaded maps so you can see roads, a Waypoint ( like where you left the car). It will show a line of dots to show where you walked to say a stream where you crossed on a log so you mark that location with another waypoint. You can name each waypoint too so you'll know what they are. You don't really need one that shows color, but they are nicer. Most of the better ones will show a scale down to 20 feet so you can mark where your walking a grid.

I used to sell them at Bass Pro Shops till they refused to let me have a Sunday off, but now you can buy them online cheaper. The advantage of buying at a store worth it's salt is they will demonstrate it for you so you can choose between them. If you can, go to a Gander Mountain store as they are not kids with earrings. Cabela's is the best place to get them too.

The easiest way to learn is to just walk around and mark waypoints and come back to them and with practice you'll soon wonder what the big deal was.....

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great questions Dave ???

I have a Garmin e-trek GPS that does all those things you mentioned. You do not have to subscribe to any monthly service because it works directly off global positioning satellites for coordinates.

The newer ones have optional programming that allows for topographic maps to be installed for any area you want. Still no monthly fees! And once the programs are purchased you get free updates.

Also thank you for your service to our Country the good ol USA! :icon_salut:

Buddy~

PJS

Greenie
Aug 19, 2006
Hand-held GPS are a fantastic tool, and yes you can do all of the things you mention of course. In my case, I have a Garmin Foretrex 101, it's the most basic model you can find and I love it. It cost me about $100, I can strap it on my wrist and it's weatherproof. Also the battery life is formidable. I rarely leave home without it when outdoors, even if I'm going to well known places here in S. Florida. I know that at some point I will buy another model (I hear the e-Trex is really good) with maps and color screen and so forth, but I also know that even if I do I will still be using my foretrex for basic, grab and go functions, or as a back-up. The best thing about GPS? Satellite usage is free! (Well not free, really, we paid for them with our tax payer dollars) And it's really something when you turn your GPS on and you see "Acquiring Satellites", and then you can find almost any point on earth to within 8 feet (at least with mine) and it hits you how unbelievable this technology is. So for anyone that does not have a GPS, get one, it's totally worth the investment.

image.asp

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like you, i used a map and compass for years and still do. I use the yellow e-trex. The most basic unit that garmin offers. I have used it now about 10 years. I have used mine with software to plot routes to Florida and Alabama as well as treks to the local outback. I am presently in discussion with 911 emergency dispatch as how to integrate the maps that i have made into their system. We have a 115,000 acres of wildlife management area that is not in their system and every time they get an emergency call their computers show the coordinates of the caller but not the access roads.

However don't get the impression that you will be able to throw away your maps and compass once you start using a gps unit.

you stated that you did not want to buy software to accompany your gps. Garmin gps maps are at the 1:100,000 scale. Terrain Navigator offers a software package for less than 100 bucks for every state that will exchange info with a gps. It comes at 1:100,000 or 1:24,000 with 4 zoom levels each. You can sit on your computer and plot a route and go out and follow it. You can upload tracks that you have traveled. You can exchange waypoints. You can use the info you obtain in the field to edit the maps of a particular area. You can print your maps to carry with you. A decision not to use software would severely handicap the capabilities of your gps unit.

Bushnell has an attractive looking gps unit that offers topo maps and satellite photos. But i think there is a fee as you have to download a specific area

PJS

Greenie
Aug 19, 2006
CWnut said:
However don't get the impression that you will be able to throw away your maps and compass once you start using a gps unit.

A big fat +1 on this one of course...a map (topo or street) and compass will NEVER be indispensable. You can have the best GPS in the market but it can still crap out due to many factors, and then you're S.O.L. 50 miles into the jungle or desert or downtown Tijuana or whatever...

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Dave,

I have used a Garmin Rhino 120 for several years now. Its not the latest model but it works great for me. I especially like the "Tracks" feature. I will upload my tracks to Google Earth and can see exactly where I have been. It also has a radio in the FRS band. Family Radio Service. You can also mark a spot and give it a name and upload it to Google Earth.

KG6YLL

Attachments

• rino120.jpg
    rino120.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 314

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can highly recommend the Garmin Etrex Venture HC with the Map Source software disk that has the entire US of A in topographic maps.

The only other thing I can say is that I find, for me, that I need to use it more often. I seem to forget what button to push if I don't use it for a month or two. I have to relearn it's functions. Once you get the buttons figured out the thing is quite astounding. I have tracked back to locations that I pin pointed and ended up within 8 ft. of the exact spot many times.

PJS

Greenie
Aug 19, 2006
Mac In Oak Ridge said:
I can highly recommend the Garmin Etrex Venture HC with the Map Source software disk that has the entire US of A in topographic maps.

The only other thing I can say is that I find, for me, that I need to use it more often. I seem to forget what button to push if I don't use it for a month or two. I have to relearn it's functions. Once you get the buttons figured out the thing is quite astounding. I have tracked back to locations that I pin pointed and ended up within 8 ft. of the exact spot many times.

What kind of battery life do you get with this unit? I may be upgrading soon, but I want to stay away from energy hogs....

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Garmin makes many fine GPS's that are hand held. Most now come with preloaded maps so you can see roads, a Waypoint ( like where you left the car). It will show a line of dots to show where you walked to say a stream where you crossed on a log so you mark that location with another waypoint. You can name each waypoint too so you'll know what they are. You don't really need one that shows color, but they are nicer. Most of the better ones will show a scale down to 20 feet so you can mark where your walking a grid.

I used to sell them at Bass Pro Shops till they refused to let me have a Sunday off, but now you can buy them online cheaper. The advantage of buying at a store worth it's salt is they will demonstrate it for you so you can choose between them. If you can, go to a Gander Mountain store as they are not kids with earrings. Cabela's is the best place to get them too.

The easiest way to learn is to just walk around and mark waypoints and come back to them and with practice you'll soon wonder what the big deal was.....

What sandman said. :wink:

I have a very old Magellan hand held, and it tells me where I am,
where I've been; I mark all the locations I cross, keeping a record.
Held up very well, even with some tough treatment.

Looking for a new one, but......... cash broke for now. :-\

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

cwlead

Mar 24, 2008
how does gps work in woods with heavy woods, when you are in a lot of over head foliage ?

PJS

Greenie
Aug 19, 2006
In my experience, when under heavy vegetation coverage in S. Florida, I may lose one or two satellites, but not all. This translates in the loss of some waypoint accuracy, say within 20 feet of the spot instead of 8 feet. Which, as far as using a GPS to find your way and not get lost, is negligible. Keep in mind that your lat/ long location will probably affect satellite reception.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[quote author]What kind of battery life do you get with this unit? I may be upgrading soon, but I want to stay away from energy hogs....
[/quote]

This thing uses two AA bats. I carry two new spares with me.

I would have to guess I get about 20 hrs. of "on" time. That would include when I start at home loading maps on it and when I get back home downloading tracks. If you started with good quality and new bats on an all day hike you would not have any worry about running out of power.

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
My phone(Nokia 6220 Classic) has built-in GPS, and I use Garmin Mobile XT software on it. It's compatible with the same Garmin maps as the handheld devices. It's also possible to install programs that you can use your own map images with, so you could even use those 100 years old maps after calibration, but I don't know how practical it would be due to possible inaccuracies of old maps... Maybe I should get some old maps and see how it works... :icon_scratch:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I use a Garmin Etrex Legend CX. It allows me to use topo and road maps on my laptop, program my gps, and save the waypoints on my computer too.
The Vista color, in any form or the color legends are all great. HCX units will get you much better reception in the woods or cover.

I use mine to program the positions of old logging camps and other historical sites in my area. Using a digital topo map and looking at the contours and other landmarks on old maps it is amazing how close you can get to a site.

The maps and the units are easily found with good prices on Ebay.

I get about 20 hours on a set of 2 AAs. The color units get better battery life, believe it or not. I would highly reccomend color, it is so much easier to read in the field.

The better Vistas and Legends all hold a micro SD chip. These can be come by pretty easily and multiple chips can be programed and plugged into the unit for sites, or to change types of maps for an area, Like Roads and Rec, and Topo on another.

I use mine when driving by using a 12 volt plug and a suction cup windsheild mount.

Along with my detector it has been the best thing I have ever gotten for mding. I carry it, turned on while I detect deep in the woods. It saves the track that I covered. Often times when I look at it I see an area I thought I had been over had been completely missed. It also helps me to be able to mark off areas that are productive. My memory isn't as good as it used to be. Over the winter I can forget exactly where I've been if it is deep in the woods, but my gps remembers.

Good Luck!
Mark

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mpostma said:
I use a Garmin Etrex Legend CX. It allows me to use topo and road maps on my laptop, program my gps, and save the waypoints on my computer too.
The Vista color, in any form or the color legends are all great. HCX units will get you much better reception in the woods or cover.

I use mine to program the positions of old logging camps and other historical sites in my area. Using a digital topo map and looking at the contours and other landmarks on old maps it is amazing how close you can get to a site.

The maps and the units are easily found with good prices on Ebay.

I get about 20 hours on a set of 2 AAs. The color units get better battery life, believe it or not. I would highly reccomend color, it is so much easier to read in the field.

The better Vistas and Legends all hold a micro SD chip. These can be come by pretty easily and multiple chips can be programed and plugged into the unit for sites, or to change types of maps for an area, Like Roads and Rec, and Topo on another.

I use mine when driving by using a 12 volt plug and a suction cup windsheild mount.

Along with my detector it has been the best thing I have ever gotten for mding. I carry it, turned on while I detect deep in the woods. It saves the track that I covered. Often times when I look at it I see an area I thought I had been over had been completely missed. It also helps me to be able to mark off areas that are productive. My memory isn't as good as it used to be. Over the winter I can forget exactly where I've been if it is deep in the woods, but my gps remembers.

Good Luck!
Mark
Thanks Mark..........Those are the two I have been looking at and they look very good indeed.Especially with the topo sd cards you can buy.
i am also looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 60csx.....Tho it is more pricey........It takes the SD topo cards,and is highly rated in reviews..........................Any one else have a favorite ? I will intertain all ideas before I purchase.........But the Garmins have my eye right now......
I might buy with in the week ,so all info is welcome. ;D

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
FYI, I took my Garmin Vista HCX to the super walmart store here in town today, went inside to the middle of the store, turned on my HCX and in about 30 seconds, it was able to locate the satellites and worked perfectly. I've never had any reception problems with this Garmin. HH John

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasDigger1 said:
FYI, I took my Garmin Vista HCX to the super walmart store here in town today, went inside to the middle of the store, turned on my HCX and in about 30 seconds, it was able to locate the satellites and worked perfectly. I've never had any reception problems with this Garmin. HH John
Having only about $200 on hand. I broke down and bought the Garmin Etrex Legend CX (New) @ $120
.............Then bought the Midwest #6 Topo SD stick for another $70..............If I only had more money :icon_scratch:....................LOL

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
I've got a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx

It works great in heavy tree cover, it works in the rain, it works in the dark, and is a battery miser.

The area that I detect most of the time is 5,000 acres of heavy forest. I can park my truck, walk in from any direction, and get exactly where I want to be. If I find an area that produces multiple relics, I can mark that area easily, and return later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread