Whites XLT

metro

Jan 7, 2009
I am new to "good" metal detectors, but I have had quite a few cheap ones. I now have a Whites XLT that doesnt seem to find much. I have had cheaper ones that have found a lot of coins, rings, etc. I am usually hunting in areas that would probably produce older coins and possibly rings. Does anyone know if maybe there is something wrong with it. I can put a quarter on the ground and it will find it, but not much for hits where you think you would get at least something. Any thoughts on what may be wrong or a way to check the sensativity of the unit. Maybe I am looking in dead areas, but I have tried a bunch of different ones. My friend lost a necklace and asked me to find it. I did find it but it took me two hours, and I went over where it was many times and it didnt pick it up. Any help would be appreciated. Metro

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello and Welcome,
Questions for ya,
What modes do you use on the Xlt?
When looking for the Necklace was you using the Coin/Jewelry mode?
Maybe possible it was discriminating it out enough that you wasn't getting a solid signal.
You can go into the programs and check the ac Sensitivity and the dc sensitivity. IF memory serves me right,the ac would be at 64 on the preset mode and the dc would be 30. These can be adjusted for more depth along with other features like pre amp gain.But I would stay with the preset modes until your more familiar with it.
Maybe plant a couple items at about 2-4 inches and test the machine in the different preset modes or simply do a air test with a couple items to make sure they are picking up.
I know you use to be able to download the Manuel for the Xlt on the Whites web site and pretty sure they still offer it.
Just trying to help,
Nova Treasure

OP
OP
M

metro

Jan 7, 2009
nova treasure said:
Hello and Welcome,
Questions for ya,
What modes do you use on the Xlt?
When looking for the Necklace was you using the Coin/Jewelry mode?
Maybe possible it was discriminating it out enough that you wasn't getting a solid signal.
You can go into the programs and check the ac Sensitivity and the dc sensitivity. IF memory serves me right,the ac would be at 64 on the preset mode and the dc would be 30. These can be adjusted for more depth along with other features like pre amp gain.But I would stay with the preset modes until your more familiar with it.
Maybe plant a couple items at about 2-4 inches and test the machine in the different preset modes or simply do a air test with a couple items to make sure they are picking up.
I know you use to be able to download the Manuel for the Xlt on the Whites web site and pretty sure they still offer it.
Just trying to help,
Nova Treasure

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
how long have you had the machine???? and what were you using before??

the xlt is is an awesum machine and i have yet to have anyone go over my area and pull something up behind me, i am waiting for someone to do this, i am not some didectaed brand guy either, i am in the market for one of the fisher f75's as there are a lot of complaints about that unit about a bit of extra noise it performs very well and it does get a bot more depth, i can still hit targets but there is definately a cleaner lock with the f75

as far as the xlt goes you need to be running a custom program

the preset ones are ok but if theres a piece of iron next to a piece of gold its going to be blanked out, hence the chain you were lookig for if you go back to the same spot in all metal im am almost sure you will pull out a piece of iron or you didnt have a good gb to start with

send me an email and ill send you a nice program and some instructions on how to set it up without any problems, i didnt wrote it and you may have to adjust one or two things for the area your in but there are instructions with this program, and you will swear you have a whole new machine when you run it

if your any where near clarkston michigan come on out and ill give you a crash course on the XLT

DTM

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Oh gosh. Metro!

Such is the way things go, isn't it?

No matter which detector used, it must pass over that target to locate it.
(Unless you got one of the Long Range Locators.) ;D

The XLT is as good or better than most machine out there.
I'm sure the others will give you particular advice for operating it.
It is a fancy enough machine that it has options that could possibly defeat your intended purpose.

You might try testing with nickels and pull tabs buried 6" in sand.
More time you can spend with it, the better.

Good luck!
We'll look forward to great pics of your dug trasures!
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread