whats a good upgrade: Whites Coinmaster 5900 Di Pro

ArcadianDelSol

Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 1-D/505
Id like to stay under $300.00 unless its already better than today's $300.00 detectors. I have a Whites Coinmaster 5900Di Pro that Im not 'unhappy' with, but I live in Missouri and left it behind with family in Maryland.

Having it shipped to me, im told, would be around $80.00 due to the size and weight and the liability of its value. So with that in mind, I started to wonder if a model of that age/tech was worth the $80.00 when I could throw that into a fund and buy a new detector.

I prefer to avoid 2nd hand sales and buy new, but had no idea when looking at various sales websites, if I was looking at something equal or weaker to what I already have (well, 'have' is relative at this point - literally).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The 5900 is still a current machine, tech-wise, for average coin/relic type sites. It's similar to the 6000 di pro, except that it doesn't have auto-track. So as long as you're not in an area of constantly changing minerals, it's effective still. But if you want to update to something that's going a bit deeper, and getting better TID's at depth, you can get a used Explorer in the $300-ish range I think, about now. They take some getting used to (funky sounds, and quite different swing speed techniques when compared to the 5900), but are getting better depth and TIDs once you get the hang of them.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Yeah, I had an old coinmaster too, over 20 years old and it still worked just fine.
Sometimes it's best to hang on to your cash if the old clunker is working OK.
I like the Minelab X-Terra series too - very effective.
I would also try to keep an open mind about buying a used detector.
You can get a really good bargain now and then on eBay.

The $300 mark is right on the border . . . either go down to $200 and
get an Ace 250 and then splurge for a good pin-pointer probe
(like the Garrett Pro-Pointer) or go higher up and get a really good
machine, like the White's MXT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread