Odd historic type site, should I do it?

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
One of the main roads in town here, has an odd thing in the grass. It seems the small like 1 acre plot is owned by one of the businesses, because there is a strip of businesses next to it. There is a grass field next to the road and a stone structure in the middle of it. Half of the field is a hill, and this structure is into the hill, it's those old rocks they would paste together in the old days. There is no historic markings or anything near it, no no trespassing signs or anything, it's just there.

Should I jump in there and detect it? being on the road people will watch me, or should I take a couple pictures first and let you all judge?

S

seger98

I guess if it was me & I really wanted to hunt it, I'd find out who owns it & ask for permission. But that's just me.

Chris

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost sounds like an old fruit cellar or spring house. I'd certainly want to check it out.

Al

A pic would be nice anyhow.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a business owns it I would ask permission. Just do some checking and find out for sure who owns it and ask...Matt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd get permission. No need for any more bad publicity for this hobby. I don't know what the laws are like there, but here you could end up in jail. :o

There is no shortage of sites in any area. You can always move along to the next.

-Buckles

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Relichunter,
Indeed, I would attempt to sort out the owner. If attempts fail at this, you can at least approach it with the idea that you attempted to find the owner (although that will do little to provide legal cover). I liken it to bird hunting on unknown property: such an excursion is uneasy, keeps you looking over your shoulder, makes everyone anxious, and is never pleasant. Think it over and you'll do the right thing.
Good luck,
docmann

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Sounds like there are more than enough human resources, with the shops there, to find out who owns the property!? You will be disturbing SOMEONE's property. Does it slip your mind that easily?!?

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Lowbatts said:
Sounds like there are more than enough human resources, with the shops there, to find out who owns the property!? You will be disturbing SOMEONE's property. Does it slip your mind that easily?!?

No need to get all upset man, for all I know is it could be owned by the county. I didn't said I was going out there without permission. I wanted advice about it.

Now with that in mind, the law here is, if it doesn't have a no trespassing sign, and is abandoned then its free game. You can be asked to leave, but not arrested.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always find it easier to ask around than to be looking around to see if someone is approaching. By your description it sounds like you should be able to find the owner. The bummer is when we are out in the middle of nowhere and try to find the landlord.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:
Now with that in mind, the law here is, if it doesn't have a no trespassing sign, and is abandoned then its free game. You can be asked to leave, but not arrested.

Might be o.k. for you, with a get out of jail free card--but Not o.k. for the hobby, and Not o.k. those whose feathers you're going to ruffle and whose property you'd trespass on. It isn't o.k. for the fact that a bad reputation follows, whereas securing permission always opens more doors to you for future sites.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
relichunters said:
Lowbatts said:

No need to get all upset man, for all I know is it could be owned by the county. I didn't said I was going out there without permission. I wanted advice about it.

The cabin walls seems to be closing in on me..............................

How long will the food last................

So cold.........

So much snow................

The wolf in the treeline...........................

Why am I here............................

It's winter gang. ;D ;D
Just a few more moons ;D

All play nice. 8)

all lhave a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
BuckleBoy said:
relichunters said:

Might be o.k. for you, with a get out of jail free card--but Not o.k. for the hobby, and Not o.k. those whose feathers you're going to ruffle and whose property you'd trespass on. It isn't o.k. for the fact that a bad reputation follows, whereas securing permission always opens more doors to you for future sites.

Dude I am not going to affect the hobby at all. Because I have been doing this for many many years and know all about it with my experiences. I still never said I was even going to detect at the site, a photograph yes, dig I don't know.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:
BuckleBoy said:
relichunters said:

Dude I am not going to affect the hobby at all. Because I have been doing this for many many years and know all about it with my experiences. I still never said I was even going to detect at the site, a photograph yes, dig I don't know.

I didn't say you were--but if you're posting here, then you're thinking about hunting without permission. I care about the future of our hobby more than anything else--and if you have to make a post like this then you probably already know better.

-Buckles

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
relichunters said:
One of the main roads in town here, has an odd thing in the grass. It seems the small like 1 acre plot is owned by one of the businesses, because there is a strip of businesses next to it. There is a grass field next to the road and a stone structure in the middle of it. Half of the field is a hill, and this structure is into the hill, it's those old rocks they would paste together in the old days. There is no historic markings or anything near it, no no trespassing signs or anything, it's just there.

Should I jump in there and detect it? being on the road people will watch me, or should I take a couple pictures first and let you all judge?
Okay, you asked if you should jump in and do it w/o regard to ownership. On another post you mentioned tearing out landscaping barriers to go at signals most of us would recognize as the U shaped iron staples they hold the material down with. Since I've worked with some of our park people here when they were doing rehabs I am aware of how easily these can sometimes trigger a seemingly good signal.

Not getting on you or getting huffed, just trying to emphasize the points so many make on here about their concerns in their own hunt areas with regards to md'ing, renegade style. I can have fun too, so let's just get that handle changed to Rogue Md'er!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Relic-hunters, you have to keep in mind that you're asking this question on a forum where some people think you/we need "permission" to hunt public sandboxes for pete's sake! What did you think some answers would be? ::) There are people who think that all the rest of the population sits behind their window blinds, just waiting to be offended at the mere sight of a metal detector, and that the mere act of detecting without written permission from the mayor, is an automatic black eye to the hobby. Oh yeah, and people with shotguns lurk around every corner waiting to blow someone away for walking on a grass strip next to a road :icon_scratch:

I have yet to run into these throngs of people. If I were see a road-side grass strip like you describe, that I thought might be a good hunt spot, I'd detect it without reservation. If someone has an issue, they're welcome to tell you. So what? Seems to me that the only "image" hurting our hobby, is people cowering in fear, thinking that their hobby is so evil, that they need to be sanctioned for merely showing their detector in public (as if they were lepers or something). THAT is what becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, and is bad for the hobby. To the contrary, I find that most people who stumble on to us on-the-street (wherever you happen to be detecting) are actually interested, have questions, wish you luck, etc...

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Lowbatts said:
relichunters said:

Okay, you asked if you should jump in and do it w/o regard to ownership. On another post you mentioned tearing out landscaping barriers to go at signals most of us would recognize as the U shaped iron staples they hold the material down with. Since I've worked with some of our park people here when they were doing rehabs I am aware of how easily these can sometimes trigger a seemingly good signal.

Not getting on you or getting huffed, just trying to emphasize the points so many make on here about their concerns in their own hunt areas with regards to md'ing, renegade style. I can have fun too, so let's just get that handle changed to Rogue Md'er!

Well if you happened to actually read my post, it says "SHOULD I just in detect it?" I was asking advice, which apparently you can't give, you are more concerned in trying to find fault with people.

Plus it was another person who said to cut it.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Tom I'm all over the hand-wringing all the time. But RH's query involved a commercially-colocated site, as described, with a possible old/historical site context. No further description.

I have no problem hitting those that merit it in my town. RH is from Virginia, a state that has a history of going after relic hunters over the last couple years. But yes, I have been asked, instructed/threatened and more while doing parkways.

Since your posts have taken the appearance of one of those newbies that trash areas and disrespect ownership, carry on as you wish. You're not in my neighborhood.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
If there is no trespassing signs you are free to be there, until someone complains. So go to it! if you ask city officials and they say no, they might put up signs or check the area often. If you do it on a sunday when city employees aren't working, there is a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance anybody will come by. But still it's legal.

Recognize the advice? free to be there until someone complains? Looks like a habitual problem.
Carry on, until someone complains.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
--but if you're posting here, then you're thinking about hunting without permission.

-Buckles

?

Alot of members post here.

does it mean they are thinking about hunting without permission ?

Calm down everyone.

No threats or attacks needed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread