Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
To stir the pot on public park's issue:

There's been several posts/threads on various forums here, in the past few weeks, which have dabbled in the area of public parks, permission issues (whether it is needed) etc.... Just to give more food for thought, and "stir the pot" (for those of you snowed in so doing a lot of forum reading :wink:) I've given this as an example in the past, but not for a long time now. It bears repeating:

A fellow in a midwestern state (I forget which one) used to hunt his state parks with no problem. There was nothing (at least to his knowledge) addressing the issue in state park rules. But one day, he got booted at a certain state park. The ranger didn't offer to show any written rules. The hunter got a little miffed, and a little curious, so he set about to do his OWN research on his state's park's rules. He discovered that, in fact, it was silent on the issue (nothing addressing metal detecting per se). Perhaps some stuff that could be morphed to apply, like cultural heritage wording, or "don't disturb the vegetation", etc... but nothing specific on metal detecting.

As this fellow was researching his own state's laws, he found out that a neighboring state actually had wording allowing detecting @ their state parks. Albeit only at beaches, or maybe with a permit, or whatever. So he thought "wouldn't that be cool if my state could adopt similar clarifications, so that there'd be no hassles?" So he set about writing letters to the highest up on the ladder rung of his state's park's headquarters, suggesting that they add these clarifications, like their neighbor state had, about how he felt un-justly booted, etc...

Weeks went by, and he never got a response to this petition letters. Then one day, he decided to go detecting at another state park near him. This was also a state park where he'd never previously ever been bothered at. But lo & behold, a ranger comes up to boot him! A ranger whom he recognized as one who .... in the past ..... never gave anything but a friendly wave. When the md'r asked "why?", the ranger pulls out a department memo paper that had just been passed down to the rank-&-file. It alerted employees that "metal detecting is not allowed". As the md'r looked down at the memo paper the ranger was showing him, GUESS WHO IT WAS SIGNED BY? The very same top official guy at state capitol whom he'd been petitioning! In other words, his petition letters back-fired, and caused the receiving person to simply decide "no more metal detecting" and make it official. Like, maybe they probably never gave it thought before receiving these letters requesting clarification and/or permission?

In the end, the guy figured he should have just treated that first booting as an isolated incident. Not fought it, not sought clarification, permission, etc.... He realized that the first incident could've just been an isolated ranger having a bad day, or a singular false perception about holes, etc.... He should have avoided just that one ranger, or just that one park and left good enough alone. Instead, by fighting it (thinking he was doing his hobby a favor), he gets his whole state parks put off limits! True story!

Now you tell me, in that case, who's the one "giving the hobby a bad name"? Who's the one who's "getting places put off limits?" The guys who help themselves, or the guys going around clarifying and seeking "permission" from some deskbound bureacrats?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: To stir the pot on public park's issue:

Tom_in_CA,

stir the pot, ;D
but..............
food for thought. :wink:

have a good un....................
SHERMANVILLE

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

I agree, sometimes it does more harm them good to get permission. Like there is no metal detecting signs or laws at thomas jeffersons house. Now if I asked permission, they are going to put one up. Of course I may be fined a large amount for doing it without permission also. However some places will give permission also. It's a gamble, you were have to think about something before you do it.

Had this guy gone to the headquarters and spoke to him in person, things might have been different, since he could explain himself better and discuss the hobby. But also he may have been fined for who knows what, harassing an official? It's a gamble.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA said:
There's been several posts/threads on various forums here, in the past few weeks, which have dabbled in the area of public parks, permission issues (whether it is needed) etc.... Just to give more food for thought, and "stir the pot" (for those of you snowed in so doing a lot of forum reading :wink:) I've given this as an example in the past, but not for a long time now. It bears repeating:

A fellow in a midwestern state (I forget which one) used to hunt his state parks with no problem. There was nothing (at least to his knowledge) addressing the issue in state park rules. But one day, he got booted at a certain state park. The ranger didn't offer to show any written rules. The hunter got a little miffed, and a little curious, so he set about to do his OWN research on his state's park's rules. He discovered that, in fact, it was silent on the issue (nothing addressing metal detecting per se). Perhaps some stuff that could be morphed to apply, like cultural heritage wording, or "don't disturb the vegetation", etc... but nothing specific on metal detecting.

As this fellow was researching his own state's laws, he found out that a neighboring state actually had wording allowing detecting @ their state parks. Albeit only at beaches, or maybe with a permit, or whatever. So he thought "wouldn't that be cool if my state could adopt similar clarifications, so that there'd be no hassles?" So he set about writing letters to the highest up on the ladder rung of his state's park's headquarters, suggesting that they add these clarifications, like their neighbor state had, about how he felt un-justly booted, etc...

Weeks went by, and he never got a response to this petition letters. Then one day, he decided to go detecting at another state park near him. This was also a state park where he'd never previously ever been bothered at. But lo & behold, a ranger comes up to boot him! A ranger whom he recognized as one who .... in the past ..... never gave anything but a friendly wave. When the md'r asked "why?", the ranger pulls out a department memo paper that had just been passed down to the rank-&-file. It alerted employees that "metal detecting is not allowed". As the md'r looked down at the memo paper the ranger was showing him, GUESS WHO IT WAS SIGNED BY? The very same top official guy at state capitol whom he'd been petitioning! In other words, his petition letters back-fired, and caused the receiving person to simply decide "no more metal detecting" and make it official. Like, maybe they probably never gave it thought before receiving these letters requesting clarification and/or permission?

In the end, the guy figured he should have just treated that first booting as an isolated incident. Not fought it, not sought clarification, permission, etc.... He realized that the first incident could've just been an isolated ranger having a bad day, or a singular false perception about holes, etc.... He should have avoided just that one ranger, or just that one park and left good enough alone. Instead, by fighting it (thinking he was doing his hobby a favor), he gets his whole state parks put off limits! True story!

Now you tell me, in that case, who's the one "giving the hobby a bad name"? Who's the one who's "getting places put off limits?" The guys who help themselves, or the guys going around clarifying and seeking "permission" from some deskbound bureacrats?

I agree 100%
As I always say. Its easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

"...you were have to think about something before you do it."

Very good point Relichunters.

I'd neither ask nor do a place of Historic importance. I wouldn't want my inquiries filtering to the wrong place.

You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them....Learn when to walk away

We simply can't detect everything we want and want to preserve what we can.

Use common sense. There are just too many places to detect to have to worry about seeking permission for the obvious.

Al

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Said it before and worth repeating, private property requires permission, public property requires knowledge and/or circumstance/opportunity.

Since I was working these torn up streets and sidewalks a site ranger (one of the uniformed tour guides) stepped out of a property and asked me what I was finding. Showed him a couple bennies and a couple old cents but not much too it. He asked me if I wanted to do the site he was on, said sure thing but time was short for me so I only went after the big and easy pickins', mostly large iron/clad.

That was Grant's home in Galena, didn't get back there until after the street work was done and didn't hit it again but I'd like to think I could. Wouldn't without another invite though. Asking would most likely get a no for good. Opportunity on the other hand has benefitted me many times over the year.

M

michigan michael

Great Post!

MM

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Private property - definitely off-limits unless you have permission.

But, frankly - I just get tired of having to "ask permission" to use land that MY tax dollars support, and especially those little 'plots' of land known as PUBLIC (better known, supposedly, as land belonging to the people) and NOT owned by the government, simply managed by the government. >:(

B

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I been to a state park a couple of years ago and I took my detector with me. I went to the beach area and I detected there for 3 days with no problem. On the 4 day when I was detecting a ranger came up to me and ask me to leave that I was not suppose to be there detecting. I ask him why nobody else had said anything to me. He said that he didn't know why. I told him OK. So there are some rangers out there that won't say anything and some will. So we can not win them all....Matt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lowbatts said:
Said it before and worth repeating, private property requires permission, public property requires knowledge and/or circumstance/opportunity.

Well said. :thumbsup:

S

seger98

Myself, I try to stay away from places I think I might need permission. So far I have not been asked to leave anywhere, but when I have asked for permission, I was turned down. There are plenty of places that I detect in Wi & elsewhere where permission Atleast I think isn't needed.

Good post.

Chris

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

If its private or posted, I get permission. If its public property asking permission is like an admission that your doing something on the sly or potentially illeagel, for which I'd rather beg forgiveness. I don't have as many years at MDing like some on this forum, but so far this approach has worked for me and I've been asked by a few different police depts and various park personnel what I was looking for. Their answer is always "ok, have fun or enjoy the day" Some times I'll show the park people all the trash and can slaw I'm removing which tells them I not just a taker, but contributing something back. Having said that I still use common sense and don't go digging in a busy city park with a well manicured lawn, I'll wait for no crowd. I'm also very careful to repair any turf. Don't give or put people in a postion for them to tell you "NO"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back on Subject

public park's issue:

Last time I checked Public meant for the Publics use.

Unless it's Fenced in
or has a Sign, Semi Public

or no Detecting, I would think you can hunt it.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This reminds me of an article on our right to detect public property. It was written by an attorney. Basically he stated that unless it was specifically prohibited you are allowed. Most public areas now post a usage sign. I like the thought here and agree to the right.

However this is the flaw. All laws are subject to interpretation. A police officer my tell you to leave because you don,t have a special permit required for park use, or that you are interfering with others. All interpretive. Also they put non detecting specific rules, No digging or damaging of plant or grounds. I am real carefull but I cannot dig with out sacrificing one blade of grass all the time.

Case in point, In Maryland state parks you are allowed to specifically metal detect from Labor Day Sept. to Memorial Day May. They however go on to say that the ranger on duty has final say. Also that ares may be limited to sandy areas around water areas. I got news for you all most of the state park areas on The Eastern Shore of MD are sandy all over, very easy digging , nice detecting. So you end up trying to get on the Rangers good side even though Metal Detecting is allowed. Talk about confusing and over regulated.

Ed D.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Born2Dtect said:
This reminds me of an article on our right to detect public property. It was written by an attorney. Basically he stated that unless it was specifically prohibited you are allowed. Most public areas now post a usage sign. I like the thought here and agree to the right.

However this is the flaw. All laws are subject to interpretation. A police officer my tell you to leave because you don,t have a special permit required for park use, or that you are interfering with others. All interpretive. Also they put non detecting specific rules, No digging or damaging of plant or grounds. I am real carefull but I cannot dig with out sacrificing one blade of grass all the time.

Case in point, In Maryland state parks you are allowed to specifically metal detect from Labor Day Sept. to Memorial Day May. They however go on to say that the ranger on duty has final say. Also that ares may be limited to sandy areas around water areas. I got news for you all most of the state park areas on The Eastern Shore of MD are sandy all over, very easy digging , nice detecting. So you end up trying to get on the Rangers good side even though Metal Detecting is allwed. Talk about confusing and over regulated.

Ed D.
Case in point 2
Was at the sports complex hitting the volleyball courts. Parked there at the volleyball court lot. Never had a problem with anyone from LEO to groundskeepers there prior to or since that one time.
Squad pulls up and out comes Officer who announces that I must leave because the sign states the courts and parking are only for those using the volleyball courts. Officer got loud, abusive and ornery w/o provocation.

Had this officer been a male, I would have told him to go sit his hairy-a$$ in the squad and call his boss or back up. I don't take abuse from anyone but an obviously out of tune police woman with a gun. I mean this officer wanted a confrontation as much as she needed a dose of nice.

So I left. Gladly I note she is no longer a police officer hereabouts.

S

stefen

jeff of pa said:
Back on Subject

public park's issue:

Last time I checked Public meant for the Publics use.

Unless it's Fenced in
or has a Sign, Semi Public

or no Detecting, I would think you can hunt it.

In theory, using this logic, it shouldn't be a problem to drive a backhoe onto park grounds and begin digging willy-nilly....it's public property and I pay taxes...I have a MD unit so I must be in the right...bla, bla, bla...These types of arguements do not hold water, in my opinion.

There is absolutely no reason why a park district should post a sign, if it has a policy or ordinance in place. Its up to the person detecting to research the options. If there are no postings, policies or ordinances of record, then searching may be viable. However, if an official (Ranger, etc) asks you to stop, then do so, without further incident.

Ig norance of a law is no excuse.

MayberryMonte

Sep 12, 2008
Soddy Daisy, TN.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Even though I've only been doing this a short while, I've hunted all kinds of parks and school playgrounds in order to learn my MD. I look for the "do's and don't's" signs and if nothing is specifically mentioned about MDing, I go right ahead. I figure I have as much right to be there as anyone else. So far, no one has ever said a word. One of the advantages of age is you don't have to take a lot of s%@t off anyone. There's not too many people who are going to tell me I can't do something unless they've got something legal to back up what they say. I can be as nice as the next guy and I can be a horse's ass too if necessary. I used to go fishing at daybreak at a local swimming beach. I would walk along the seawall at dawn and throw a topwater plug. One morning, a park ranger came driving down to the sand beach and hopped out like he had cornered John Dillinger. Right away he started hollaring that I couldn't fish there. I asked him "why not"? , it wasn't posted. He said my lure might come lose and a swimmer might get injured. I asked him if saw anyone swimming right then and then I asked him what did he think the fishermen in their boats were doing when they fished the wall. Rather than admit he didn't know what he was doing, he continued to harrass me until I left. When I left, I went straight to the park headquarters and had a talk with the head mountie about my confrontation. He was quite polite and told me not to worry about it, that it was ok. I never did see the first guy again. MDing is a lot like fishing, you never know what you're going to catch( find).

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

stefen, no one is advocating being able to detect the white house lawn (afterall, it's public), or taking a back-hoe through central park (afterall, it's public). The difference between hunting obvious historical monuments, back-hoes, etc... is there is already laws in place that prohibit those activities ::) But there is not always a law that forbids metal detecting. In fact, on a city and county level, it's quite rare.

Sure, ignorance of the law is no excuse. If someone worries that their city or county might have a law, the rules/laws are usually available on-line (do a word search under "Metal detectors" or whatever), or in a book on the counter at a park's dept. headquarters, etc.. That's as far as I would go though. I would not put it in front of someone who can say "no, simply because I said so", when in fact, they probably never have paid second notice to an md'r in a park, or thought about it (till you asked).

So I'm not advocating going to illegal places, I'm just saying be careful to do your own research, and don't go "asking permission" where it was never addressed or illegal in the first place.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

This post makes much sense. You have to use common sense and discretion in deciding when it is appropriate to make a presentation or case, and when it's not. If you've been to a place dozens of times and get booted by one moron ranger or official, and have enough reason to believe that it's going to be an isolated incident where you'll still get to be hassle free 90% or so of the time, don't vent in a way that will backfire. Taking pen to paper is sometimes a tool for venting or revenge........but as the case and post goes, it can backfire. Now, if I felt that a very good portion of the parks and rangers/officials were going to be off-limits, then it would be worth pursuing something like that.

BTW, with the exception of the holiest, we all know that rangers are not around 24/7, and summer hours are long. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread