Im seeking input on Freemason active around 1923 in Dinwiddie, Virginia

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seeking input on Freemason active around 1923 in Dinwiddie, Virginia

Do you have knowledge of the Freemason's in the Dinwiddie, Virgina area in the 1920's ?

They are interesting to say the least, with their oath of Allegence to the Freemason's before
God and Country.

With ties to the Knights Templar, or so it is said.

From my understanding, they had an interest in the Dinwiddie, Virginia area in the 1920's.
Any input would be appreciated.

Roadquest

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: I'm seeking input on Freemason active around 1923 in Dinwiddie, Virginia

I found this looking online..
Winfield Scott (1786-1866) Lieutenant General, U.S. Army, and commander-in-chief of American forces in Mexican War. b. June 13, 1786 near Petersburg, Va. Admitted to the bar in 1806, he entered the army in 1808 as a captain of light artillery, and the following year at Baton Rouge, La. was courtmartialed for remarks concerning the conduct of his superior, General Wilkinson, q.v. Back in the army, he fought gallantly in the War of 1812 at Queenstown Heights, Chippewa, and Lun dy's Lane. Received promotion to brigadier general in March, 1814 and breveted major general same year. After war, was on duty in S. Car. and on Canadian border. Was made generalin-chief of U.S. Army in 1841, and commanded in the Mexican War. Captured Vera Cruz; defeated Mexicans at Cerro Gordo, Contreras, Cherubusco, Molino del Rey, and Chapaultepec, occupying Mexico City on Sept. 14, 1847. Was promoted to lieutenant general in 1852. In that year he was defeated by Franklin Pierce as the Whig candidate for presidency. Retired in 1861. Was made a Mason in 1805 in Dinwiddie Union Lodge No. 23, Dinwiddie Court House, Va. (now extinct). In 1825 he is recorded as a visitor to the Grand Lodge of Kentucky. d. May 29, 1866 at West Point, N.Y. and buried there.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted.

Sue

redwolf74

Jan 6, 2009
Bloomngton, MN
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000D

Is this what your looking for?

http://www.vagenweb.org/dinwiddie/misc/mason-hist.htm

Early Masonic History of Dinwiddie County

This article was contributed by the Dinwiddie Civil War Cenennial Commission to acquaint friends and citizens of the County with some of Dinwiddie's local history.

Through a recent conversation with Lennie W. Coleman, Chairman of Dinwiddie County Board of Supervisors and representative of Darvills District, mysterious Masonic emblems and dates were reported by him as being on a rock located on part of his land holdings in his District a few yards north of Road 638 and a few feet west of Road 702 on Beaver Pond Creek. The rock is a few yards below a dam that evidently was once a very early mill since old mill stones are nearby, probably owned later by the eccentric Dinwiddian of many years ago, Col. Joseph W. Harper (1807-88). It was thought this pond was the one in which Col. Harper threw the picture of his famed uncle, General Winfield Scott, with whom he became disgusted because Gen. Scott did not resign from the U. S. Army and cast his lot with the Confederacy and his fellow Dinwiddians in 1861. However, the place the picture was thrown is still controversial — in Harper's well and possibly in the Nottoway River where there was a Harper's Mill.

Coleman now lives on the old S. W. Ferguson place that adjoined the main estate of Col. Harper's in Dinwiddie County, to the west. The pond existed as late as 1878 since it was shown on a map of the County drawn by the late Thomas F. Rives, Surveyor of Dinwiddie County, in that year. Beaver Pond Creek flows into Nottoway River and the dam and mill were about one-half mile north of the river. As the result of investigation of the inscriptions, it was found there was an early Masonic Lodge chartered in 1788 in Dinwiddie County many years before the present one located at the Courthouse was founded in 1874.

Inscribed on the rock that was eroded to the degree that the writing had to he carefully traced with chalk to show the designs and figures for photographing, are two Masonic emblems cut in the stone along with the date Nov. 17, 1734, plus etchings where the year 1761 was subtracted from 1784 showing the difference of 23 Evidently the person was born it 1761 who did some of the cutting and he was probably that age a the time. Also, on another corner of the rock was inscribed the year 1815. The flat rock, what is left of it, has a diameter of approximately six feet.

The Headquarters of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Virginia was contacted to see if it held any records that might prove a lodge being in the county in 1784. There was no record of 1784, but the Dinwiddie Union Lodge was found. It had been chartered on a direct appeal to the Grand Lodge that adopted the following resolution:

"ORDERED:, THAT A CHARTER DO ISSUE TO THE DINWIDDIE UNION LODGE NO. 23 TO BEAR DATE THE 27TH DAY OF MAY LAST." (1788).

This Lodge, chartered 173 years ago, one among the earliest in Virginia, listed Francis Muir as the first Master, and two other officers, George Pegram and William Hardaway - all three being from prominent early Dinwiddie County families. Where the Lodge met is not known. One rumor is that it was in ther western part of the county, hut from some prominent members found, it would seem that it might have met elsewhere in the County — even in the Courthouse area. The Virginia Grand Lodge records stated that "the Dinwiddie Union Lodge No, 23 meets in Mason Hall, Dinwiddie County, Va."

Other facts were found in the State records that "it was reported as being dormant in 1816, remaining in that status until dropped by the Grand Lodge in 1835". The 1802-3 roll of the Lodge, 159 years ago, was the only one located in Richmond and the following 35 members and their positions are listed below:

George Pegram, Master; John Pegram, Deputy Master: Baker Pegram, Past Master; Joseph Goodwyn, Senior Warden; Robert Pegram, Junior Warden; Thomas Field, Secretary; Isham E. Dabney, Treasurer; John Colem Steward; Peter M. Hardaway, Senior Deacon; and Henry Dance, Junior Deacon, were its officers.

Under Fellowcrafts were listed: Samuel Broadnax, James Sturdivant, William Mason. and Thomas Woodlief. Listed as Entered Apprentices were: Francis Gregory, Nathaniel Harper, Robert R. Hunnicut, John B. Cole. and Hartwell Hitchcock.

Other members were: John Crawford, Burwell Carter, William Scott, Nathaniel Dabney, William Hardaway, Benjamin Andrews, B. Harwell, Herbert Gregory, Nathaniel Mason, Francis Woodlief, Mer. S. Gilliam, Edward Pegram, Mr. John H. Harwell, Daniel C. Butts, Giles Crook, and Henry Dance. Many prominent early Dinwiddie families were represented in the above membership.

Before the Grand Lodge was contacted, some thought the present active Lodge No. 136 at Dinwiddie Courthouse was an offshoot from the Darvills Lodge since Henry Cousins was from that area who was a Mason and moved to the Courthouse after or before, his election as Sheriff of the County in the '60s and who was the first Master of the present Dinwiddie Lodge. However, upon further information in the Grand Lodge of Virginia and from Dinwiddie Lodge No. 136 records, other interesting facts were established. Records showed that Henry Cousins was once a member of Petersburg Lodge No. 15 and also affiliated with Blandford Lodge No. 3 in 1873 and withdrew officially from this Lodge in 1875. There seems to have been no connection between Lodges 23 and 136.

The Present Dinwiddie Lodge No. 136, located at the Courthouse, was chartered on Dec. 16, 1874 with Henry Cousins as its first Worshipful Master; John Y. Harris, Senior Warden and Dr. E. C. Powell, Junior Warden — these being the only names on the charter issued 87 years ago. Harris was afterwards Judge in the County and held many County offices; and Dr. Powell, of McKenney, was once Superintendent of Dinwiddie County Schools. The dues was 25 cents monthly and the following eleven members were listed in December 1874 as paying members: Henry Cousins, B. F. Chappell, Col. W. M. Feild, John Y. Harris, W. I. King, H. L. Moore, Dr. E. C. Powell, R. H. Perkins, John C. Spain. Dr. W. F. Thompson, and Dr. Knox Thompson. All, or most of these, had served the Confederacy in some capacity.

Evidently this early group built the present Lodge building before it received title to the land upon which it now stands. The following interesting information was found in the records of the Dinwiddie County Clerk's Office recently where a deed dated October 4, 1880 stated that one fourth acre of land was given to the Dinwiddie Lodge north of the old Boydton Plank Road for the purpose of erecting thereon a hall. This was a gift from John Y. Harris and his wife, Ella V. Roney Harris. The Harris offer had been accepted in the Lodge meeting held on March 2, 1880, about seven months before the deed was written. The deed stated the land was given by Harris to the Lodge because of "interest felt by John Y. Harris in said Lodge and for $1 in cash."

The provisions of the deed stated that the Lodge was permitted two years in which to build, or finish, the building and permission was granted the Lodge to borrow $300 thereon and during the two years to complete the effort. It was further stipulated that if the above had not been done within two years, or if ever the present site was not used as a Masonic meeting site, the property would revert to the Harris heirs. The deed was made to the Lodge with R. T. J. Spain, Master; H. S. Moore, Senior Warden: and Thomas F. Rives, Junior Warden. A. M. Orgain was listed in the deed as Secretary.

In the horse and buggy days, the Lodge hall was quite a social center for many years after its erection. Many are the stories still known by descendants of Dinwiddians of that era about the many dances, balls, banquets, tournament crownings, and entertainments enjoyed within its walls. The Courthouse people of the village enjoyed life and gaiety for which they became noted in the rest of the County and also in Petersburg.

The present Dinwiddie Masonic Lodge No. 136 has not forgotten its benefactor and active early participant, John Y. Harris. His portrait hangs on the walls of the Lodge today. The Masonic emblem on the outside of the Lodge was impressively done by a very skilled local woodworker of his day, the late Richard R. Crittenden.

In spite of the information since found, the engravings on the rock along Beaver Pond Creek still remain enigmas. Who cut them? Why? Maybe the Masonic emblems were cut after 1784 like 1815 was? Probably the cuttings were done by the miller while awaiting customers, Or by patrons of the mill who whiled away their time while their grain was being ground? Too, maybe the mill was a meeting center for local gossip by the men at the community who indulged their artistic ability like people of today by their cuttings on desks and trees?

Source: The Progress-Index, Sunday, July 30, 1961 Petersburg, Virginia

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

redwolf,

Yes, that helps to a large extent, and I will use the information you gave to build on.
I will be in this area (about one mile from the Dinwiddie Court House) until I leave to work
on my project in New Mexico this spring, summer. What has my interest peek is Masonic emblems
cut into stones, in a wood area off Boydton Plank Road in Dinwiddie, less than a mile from the
courthouse. They are clearly Masonic emblems. Yet one symbol. I believe is a Templar symbol
for silver. There is one date on the rocks, and that is 1923.
I had a friend Charles, a local history buff, that knew a great deal about the area. He was helping
me to learn the meaning of the Masonic emblems carved on "my" rocks. Charles was killed by a
trespasser on one of our sites on private property.
I will readily admit he knew more about the symbols than I did. Charles and I did find some silver
coins, and they were put in his safe. After his death. I lost access to the coins.
There was an indication that, there was a larger amount of silver coins to be found. Charles and
I were going to split the coins found. I now, will have to find the other coins, to have any share at all.
I'm keeping records of all activities on this project. In the end. I may be able to add some information,
to the history of the Mason's in Dinwiddie Virginia in the 20's.
Thanks for the information you provided.

Clayton

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sue,

Thanks for the information. That's very interesting. Winfield Scott lead an amazing life.
I was up on some of this information. But, you provied much more than I had.

Clayton

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

You are very welcome. I tried to do more research online, but wasn't finding any good material for you.

Sue

Eddie511

Jul 12, 2008
Mission, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites's Matrix M6

"Ask One to be One" research your local area. The mystery is well worth it!

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.

Look thru this site, http://www.grandlodgeofvirginia.org/, & try to find a Masonic Lodge of the same name
or another located in the same area. It may still exist or may have merged into another Lodge in the area.
Most times if you find a Lodge nearby & can find a contact, usually they are proud to explain the history of
their Lodge & any others that were in the area.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't know how secretative those societies are/were, but I can tell you that early guilds were extremely secretative.

I've been trying to research some family history, some of which were in a guild that came over from Germany.
There is absolutely no information available on then with the exception of mention that they existed.
Wonder what they were hiding?

Al

Texas Gld

May 31, 2007
Powers,Oregon

deepskyal said:
I don't know how secretative those societies are/were, but I can tell you that early guilds were extremely secretative.

I've been trying to research some family history, some of which were in a guild that came over from Germany.
There is absolutely no information available on then with the exception of mention that they existed.

Al
Ref: Freemasons-"Secretative" Beyond belief and for a"Purpose" Do a simple history search of the Org. Q. How many Presients of The United States, regardless of Party/ Starting with Pres. George Washington..."WERE NOT MASONS"? As for the stones: they could denote
to arriveing Mason's, the presence of "Brothers" in the area. Should they mark a "Site" of $$ or what ever! It was put there for a dedicated purpose. It was guarded then &now. I would not touch it with a 10-ft-soul.

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Texas Gld said:
deepskyal said:

Al
Ref: Freemasons-"Secretative" Beyond belief and for a"Purpose" Do a simple history search of the Org. Q. How many Presients of The United States, regardless of Party/ Starting with Pres. George Washington..."WERE NOT MASONS"? As for the stones: they could denote
to arriveing Mason's, the presence of "Brothers" in the area. Should they mark a "Site" of $$ or what ever! It was put there for a dedicated purpose. It was guarded then &now. I would not touch it with a 10-ft-soul.

Texas Gld,

You said should the "site have a $$ symbol ( the symbol is for silver ). It was put there for a "dedicated" purpose.
It was guarded then and now. I would not touch it with a 10 foot "soul"
I have a friend, Charles K. who has lived in this area since the early 1960's He is know to many locale's as a history
expert for the Dinwiddie area. We are searching for this "cache" of silver. And, have found three coins with symbols
on them. There is a larger cache of coins out there on his land. Texas Gld, would you tell me more about what you
believe the "dedicated" purpose would be. And do you think it is yet guarded to this day? I feel you used the word " soul "
for a purpose. Would you explain?
You can PM me if you like. I would be very interested in what you have to say about this.

Clayton

Texas Gld

May 31, 2007
Powers,Oregon

Roadquest said:
Texas Gld said:
deepskyal said:

Al

Texas Gld,

You said should the "site have a $$ symbol ( the symbol is for silver ). It was put there for a "dedicated" purpose.
It was guarded then and now. I would not touch it with a 10 foot "soul"
I have a friend, Charles K. who has lived in this area since the early 1960's He is know to many locale's as a history
expert for the Dinwiddie area. We are searching for this "cache" of silver. And, have found three coins with symbols
on them. There is a larger cache of coins out there on his land. Texas Gld, would you tell me more about what you
believe the "dedicated" purpose would be. And do you think it is yet guarded to this day? I feel you used the word " soul "
for a purpose. Would you explain?
You can PM me if you like. I would be very interested in what you have to say about this.

Clayton
Ponder:
They Pledged THEIR Honor/THEIR FORTINUES and THEIR LIVES-,How many founding Fathers that signed the
Documents that established our Nation, were Masons?(What was their fate? What do Masons do ? "Why"(Thats the tough-one) The Knights of Colombus,Shriners: same Q. Should you find what you seek, what else might it contain?
Will new questions arise? Most common: Who,What, When, Why? Might these be answerd? Should they be? Symbols on coins were mentioned. Could one not shake anothers hand and one not be empty? Might the task of 3 be divided. I know when a hunter catches a "cent" it is most difficult not to follow.The English "Fox-Hunt" was never about the Fox. As one seeker to another, I understand the chase.How ever I can not join you.Parting comments: The symbols/stone or coin may be known to someone "Above a 32nd Degree.Don,t be shy, they already know what you know. Be prepared to be accountable for what ever disturbances may lie ahead.
I do not however see any cooperation from the most reliable sources. Their Causes are Just, others are just???
So you may have a hint as to my attitude in this matter:Yes I used the word "Soul" I am Scot! and descendant of
KntsTmplr. It is the Greatest Treasure Of All Manklnd Guard it Well (Others have for Centuries) Hunt Slow Hunt Well - GodSpeed

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ

deepskyal said:

Al

When did they come over here ? My Grandfather was in a group . He came over here in 1922 or so . There are reasons that they were secretive .

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK, Thanks everyone, for your interest, and input on this subject.
But, this is just to time consuming for me. I am discontinuing
the search as of today

Clayton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread