Explorer advice.....high trash area

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Hello everyone
Just looking for some advice. I have been using my explorer since approx july/aug. I have learned alot about using it and I am getting quite confident with the machine...it has found me some nice coins.
I have been working a site that was an old 1 room 1800's schoolhouse, converted to a house where my grandather was raised. In 2 visits i have found 11 silver coins, an IH penny, about 25 wheaties....and more. There is alot of trash in the ground! I am getting alot of confusing signals where i get a quick good reading...then it seems like my machine locks onto something else, making it difficult to zone in on the good target (seem to be alot of targets very close to each other). Between that and the constant "blanking" i am afraid i am missing good targets.

I was just hoping someone could give me some advice on settings to use for high trash areas.
I did change my recovery to "fast", not sure if thats a good idea or not.

Thanks in advance!

B

BIG61AL

Since you have already found good targets here I would recommend that you take your time and remove all the trash targets of a given area. But removing the trash those trash signals wont interfear with the good target signals which may be deeper or on their side. Also with jewelry with their odd shapes may read as good signal in one direction and a trash in another direction. I think masking is the correct term.

************************************************************* <----<<< grass

********** <--------<<< bottle cap

***** <--------<<< silver dime
Guess which target will trigger a signal on your detector?

OP
OP
93vector

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
BIG61AL said:
Since you have already found good targets here I would recommend that you take your time and remove all the trash targets of a given area. But removing the trash those trash signals wont interfear with the good target signals which may be deeper or on their side. Also with jewelry with their odd shapes may read as good signal in one direction and a trash in another direction. I think masking is the correct term.

************************************************************* <----<<< grass

********** <--------<<< bottle cap

***** <--------<<< silver dime
Guess which target will trigger a signal on your detector?

I am going to go with silver dime.....hope i am right haha

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
We often hafta dig a lot of trash just to clean the area up for the good finds. Sounds as though you had already thought of that. Have fun ! JiM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread