anyone been kicked off of peoples land?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
To the original person who started this thread, maybe you should consider taking this letter below, changing a few things relating to yourself, print it and try this method that works for me?

I have never had a problem asking for permission first, it is people like you that do not ask for permission that give us all a bad name and then maybe our hobby gets stopped.

Getting Permission Letter

Date:

Mr // Mrs……………………………………………………..
This may sound like a strange request, so let me introduce myself: My name is Simon Morris ID. Number ..............................., I have lived in Queenstown for the last thirteen years, I am 43 years old, have been married for 17 years and we do not have any children. Normally I would like to approach you in person, however I feel that a letter before hand is a better emissary than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy. (did try and contact you via Melville Price with his email).

I have been engaged in the hobby of metal detecting for twenty years and find it a healthful, enjoyable pastime that allows me to meet many interesting people. The thrill of finding old coins, buttons, coins, bullet doppies and other metal objects is very exciting to me.

Recently, I researched information that your property and area surrounding goes back many years to The British / Boer War. I would like to obtain permission, that a friend and I may detect your property.
I have the state of the art one of the best metal detecting machines that a person can buy, mine is manufactured by Mine lab that are in Australia.

I want you to understand that I always respect the property that I search and try to leave it in the same condition that I found it. Normally the targets are no deeper than 4 or 6 inches and to retrieve them such, that ground appears not to be disturbed. All grass sods are replaced because grass is feed for your animals.
In addition, I would like to offer my services to you. Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a valuable ring, a cache or a farm tool or keys. I would be willing to assist just for the thrill of the search.

No fires will be made, I do not drink or smoke, an Indemnity form can also be filled out, protecting you from any claim.

If you would first like to meet with me for further discussion please let me know, you must please understand that whatever I may find, you have first option on any item if you want something from my finds, however I would also be willing to donate some of my finds to your local museum in appreciation of Goodwill.

Thankyou for your time and consideration.

Sincerely
Simon Morris cell 082 499 1924

You can contact any of these people (farmers) and friends to ask them who I am or as a reference.

Melville and Alison Price 082 4177 277. I am busy seaching The Tented Camp on Bushmanshoek.

Stewart Molony ...........................................

BJ van Heerden Tarkastad.....................................

Dave Moody who is The Director at Seating where I work

Sam Miles ....................... I found his wifes ring that she lost value R25 000.

Terence Wormald ...................................

Another farmer in The Hilton area Tim lost his bunch of keys from his belt while moving ground with his tractor, these keys were for all his farm gates and his stores and workshop, he called me out and I found them for him, it was a long search of about two hours.

Then another farmer near Dordrecht (forgot his name), phoned me he had lost his wedding ring in his lucern field while raking the cut lucern, I loaned him my other machine and he came back three days later, he had found it, he gave me a leg of lamb in a token of appreciation.

This list goes on and on thus once again please consider my request.
Thankyou

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you are taking value or at least perceived value then good willed people will turn against you at a whim. They think you are stealing from them even if there is nothing there to find. People can be funny and cruel when it comes to money or treasure. It is always good to ask for permission but don't always think that people won't change and come against you, because they will.

PA

Mar 18, 2009
hi youngster,

just get permission next time. me and keith do it all the time.

henry

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
FYI for Florida property does not have to be posted " no trespassing". I should know I have been a deputy for 15 years.............always ask permission. If you're told to leave just use common sense and leave. In my county it's a $500.00 bond and your detector will be placed into evidence.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
I was living in an area that was very "country" small townish. The culture there did not like revenuers and so forth. Skiddiish of outsiders and people they don't recognize (especially if you don't have the area genetics and accent) it was important for people to know who you were related to or knew. My parents lived in the area as did some other family so that helped. Once I developed a good rapport with a well known gentleman (retired school teacher) he started making phone calls to help me hook up with others in the area that could give me leads or permission to detect on their properties.

It was all about public relations and knowing how to talk the local lingo. Have to know how to socialize and relate to the people you are talking to. Need to be non-threatening. Remember, some people may think you are under guise to steal, and kill.

Helps if other people in the area know you and can intercede to their "friends" with a few phone calls.

itmaiden

civil war hunter said:
Anyone been kick off of peoples land metal detecting?

I was yeld at today theres this field my my dads office and today i had the detector in the back of the car and headed over started got a good penny signal dug it got it then i started covering up the hole saw an old guy about 70ish walk over, either hes going to say how you doing find anything which i thought was very unlikely, he came up and i said " hi, is it allright if i metal detect this field?" he said " no, if i see you around your going to ask for it" i golped and said alright he said " go on and dont come back" i said " ok, thankyou sir"had to change my pants after this one.
But i walked off with a penny in my pocket should have asked permisson first.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
I live in West Virginia so i know what you mean. I just ask permission from the old coal mine owner and he said yes, i can tell he came from California a lond time ago.

itmaiden said:
I was living in an area that was very "country" small townish. The culture there did not like revenuers and so forth. Skiddiish of outsiders and people they don't recognize (especially if you don't have the area genetics and accent) it was important for people to know who you were related to or knew. My parents lived in the area as did some other family so that helped. Once I developed a good rapport with a well known gentleman (retired school teacher) he started making phone calls to help me hook up with others in the area that could give me leads or permission to detect on their properties.

It was all about public relations and knowing how to talk the local lingo. Have to know how to socialize and relate to the people you are talking to. Need to be non-threatening. Remember, some people may think you are under guise to steal, and kill.

Helps if other people in the area know you and can intercede to their "friends" with a few phone calls.

itmaiden

civil war hunter said:
Anyone been kick off of peoples land metal detecting?

I was yeld at today theres this field my my dads office and today i had the detector in the back of the car and headed over started got a good penny signal dug it got it then i started covering up the hole saw an old guy about 70ish walk over, either hes going to say how you doing find anything which i thought was very unlikely, he came up and i said " hi, is it allright if i metal detect this field?" he said " no, if i see you around your going to ask for it" i golped and said alright he said " go on and dont come back" i said " ok, thankyou sir"had to change my pants after this one.
But i walked off with a penny in my pocket should have asked permisson first.

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
YES, I have a story to tell about getting kicked off someones property!!! A few weeks ago I had stopped by a house to ask them about a vacant lot next to them to see if I could detect it. Come to find out, the womans son owned the house she was staying in & the vacant lot next to it. The woman told me to come back in a few days, because she would have to ask her son. Well, I went back a few days later and she said it is alright for me to hunt. So im out there hunting not finding much, but the lot is in the oldest part of town, so im not about to give up on it. Meanwhile, a man & woman pull up to the house & go inside (Im guessing her son), when the man & woman are getting ready to leave about 20 mins later, the mother walks out on the porch with them & asks if im finding anything, so I tell her what I found, a wheat penny & alot of junk. She just laughs & goes back inside & the man & woman leave. About a half hour later she comes out on the porch & says to me, my son doesnt want you digging in the yard, exactly what i've been doing the whole time I was out there!!! And yes, they knew I was digging & there is absolutely NO WAY you could tell where I had dug. It may be they thought I was gettin rich off their property ??? who knows, but like Shiloh1 said when it comes to money people will turn on you in a heartbeat. this isnt the first time for me & im sure it wont be the last :thumbsup:

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Well guys I'm back from hunting a yard up the road" i asked permission so don't ask" ::)
Well he has one of the cleanest yards in the hood, nothing, i did all of it every last single peace. >:(
He said they dosed all of it when the trailer moved in, its at leased from the 30s but when they dosed it it all went by by coins and all.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
CWH, sometimes you follow all the rules and still come up with a big flat
ZERO. Don't you give up though, you hear. Next time you see that coal
mine feller from California, ask him if he ever saw the Elephant.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Ahh i live in west Virginia so theres no Elephants here in less it got loose from the zoo. :icon_jokercolor:

lastleg said:
CWH, sometimes you follow all the rules and still come up with a big flat
ZERO. Don't you give up though, you hear. Next time you see that coal
mine feller from California, ask him if he ever saw the Elephant.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
I asked my mother what you ment and she thought you were crazy, lol!
Well i was planing to show him my past finds some of my best.

lastleg said:
Ask him anyway.

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
Well i have a story to tell today.
I went up the road to ask permission on the abhors property I've been looking at.
There was a lady outside on the porch, they live in a trailer by the way with 7 pit-bulls.
Well they rent it, anyways i asked permission i said "my names Daniel and i would like to MD your yard", she said " OK, well i don't care" she ran inside and got her husband and asked him.
He said " well go ahead and MD i don't care". :thumbsup:
I rode my bike to my house, grabbed my MD and started to walk. Well on arrival they were gone up the road a supposed. I started, 2 minutes at leased they came back.
Well the lady came out i waved she waved back. She went in and her husband came out and said" Don't dig holes in the grass go over to the side of the wood and do that the land lord wont be happy" i didn't know that they don't own it really.
I said " can i dig this up first" it was a penny i guess. Well disappointingly the lady came back out and said" Well we don't want you around because my dogs are going crazy and have a bad name, and we don't want you digging holes" :icon_scratch:
And i went home! :P
and my advise when people don't look smart don't ask anything that my not be higher than the middle school diploma.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every thing you see belongs to someone. I still have trouble with the concept of a person can actually 'own' the land, but that is the way it is and that is the law. As strange as it may seem, in these days a person may say 'that rock is mine' or 'that tree belongs to me' or 'I alone control of that piece of dirt'. How can you own the earth? But we're not talking about the earth, we're talking about things left there by man, that I would like to recover and post on TNet. Still, I try to do research on areas and co-operate with owners or local authorities. Plehbah might understand this post.

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
civil war hunter said:
Well i have a story to tell today.
I went up the road to ask permission on the abhors property I've been looking at.
There was a lady outside on the porch, they live in a trailer by the way with 7 pit-bulls.

You're pitch is too weak. (not criticizing....I'm just saying that ya gotta give them a tad bit more than that)

Be pleasant, smiling, and happy. Try to come across admirably towards their property....in other words, sound like you think they're LUCKY to have such beautiful [land, architecture, location].
There are some properties where the house looks rickety......or the grounds are all mottled and grown over. That's ok - talk about that rickety old house the way the mother duck does over her ugly duckling. And the 'tool' I mention below will be a BIG help in doing that.

“Hello! My name is <Gary in Pennsylvania> and I live on <My Road> in Roaring Brook. My daughter and I [or just I am, if alone] are admitted history buffs. And that’s what we do for fun…..find history. You’d be amazed at what may lie just inches below your feet! My daughter and I would LOVE to see what sort of history your property is hiding. Our ultimate goal is to respect your ground….we’ll be careful so that you won’t even know where we’ve recovered. And you’re more than welcome to watch or see what we’ve found. Is that OK? “

I've already had a few opportunities to use that line even though I didn't have a detector yet.......I was just " settin' the table " for the meal!
There is one more critical key missing from my 'pitch', and I don't want to share it yet until the project is complete and I can post pics. Gimme about two more weeks and I'll be posting what I feel will be a very handy tool for you to use to get that permission....

-

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Gary, I don't think that PITCH will work for CWH. Now if he had a used I-Pod or TV
to offer the squatters he might get permission. However that's no guarantee the low-
down polecats wouldn't renegg on the poor little guy.
CWH, here's what you do. Tear a ten dollar bill in two and tell the mangy curs you
will give them a half of a ten dollar bill to let you hunt all you want. Then when you
get through give them the other half.
The dad-gummed hillbillies will probably want you to come hunt every day after that.
Got it? Now check your batts and get on down that road.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread