My research just might pay off!

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
I found this info on a sight less then 1 mile from my home! and have gotten permission to detect there!. Its hard to believe such a place has been next to my home and I never knew! Heres what I found, you tell me if I should detect there? (I have edited out the exact location I dont want a stampede)
The barn near the intersection of **** *** **** and County *** * marks the location where the small community of ***** ***** once stood.

The Barn has "Jackson Farm 1847" painted on its side, and at one time housed a stage shop, stable, blacksmith shop and shoe shop.

In 1845, David J. Best operated a store and post office there, where he was postmaster.

Best was the first shoe and boot maker in the township, and the community was known as **** ******* before the name was changed to ***** ***** because Civil War solders trained at a nearby creek before heading south.

***** *****most famous resident was John Wesley Powell, who would be the first to explore the Grand Canyon.

He lived in ***** ***** from 1846 to 1850.

His report, "The Canyon of the Colorado," prompted the government to start the first comprehensive geological survey in the West.

Powell made almost 30 more trips to the area, and was the first to advance the theory that the canyon was carved by wind, water and weather over time.

Powell was born in New York in 1834. From New York, the family moved to Ohio, and in the fall of 1846, moved to Wisconsin.

On Nov. 25, 1846 they bought 120 acres of land from Best for $1,200.

In 1849, the Powells bought another adjoining piece of land from David Larkin, which gave them a total of 160 acres.

Although the native Americans had ceded this land in 1833, they often came back to camp on the north side of the creek.

Powell would visit them with his mother and two sisters, and learn about the early history of the area.

Powell served in the Union Army and rose in rank from private to lieutenant colonel. He lost his right arm in the Battle of Shiloh in 1862.

After the war, he began his explorations. While exploring the Colorado mountains, he decided to continue by exploring the Colorado and Green rivers.

His 900-mile trip began in May 1869, and after spending three months on the river, he discovered the Grand Canyon.

He directed the U.S Geological Survey from 1880 to 1894, and served as head of the Bureau of Indian Ethnology from 1879 until his death Sept. 23, 1902. Also, Union troops trained at the creek here before heading south!. Who knows what treasures I might find here! All the land at this town sight is open and clean of structures. The foundations of the town buildings are still there as well as the wells!. And its never been hunted before!. I put a photo of the barn here I pass it everyday on the way to work.(I NEVER KNEW)

5_WEB_GINNY_JacksonFarms_2-799642.jpg :thumbsup:

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
You edited out the exact location, but simply by taking this
In 1845, David J. Best operated a store and post office there, where he was postmaster.
, I was able to find the whole article. You should have just stated that you got permission to detect a piece of property and what was on the land in what year.

Looks like a great site and I hope find alot of goodies to share with us.

Sue

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you better keep things like this to yourself.

3rd result on a google search gives me all of your info.

You might want to delete this thread to be safe.

OP
OP
Gettintoknowsomethin

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
We are a close community here and our neighbors like one another. We are ready for those that trespass against us!

Attachments

• 42062.jpg
    42062.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 1,166

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I've hunted Walworth, Sharon, Delaven and of course the Lake there more than a few times. I'm betting my bud from Genoa City hit that spot many moons ago. If not someone from Janesville or Lake Geneva did. Have fun and hope to see you up there sometime!

P.S.
I always make it to Milk Days and the Chocolate fest for carnie cleanup but you gotta rise early to beat me.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Private messages are so nice you can let a guy know he made a mistake(if it was one) and give a simple "thanks maybe I'll see you there,psst you should delete or edit this post quickly" instead of exploiting his error(once again if it was one) to the rest of the TNET community(which is what we are supposed to be).

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Excellent research and nice looking location... good luck.

Hopefully nobody here is low enough to go detect there.

I think you'll be fine. Enjoy it, and again - good luck!

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::) ??? :o All ya got to do is a google search and come up with the following Info

Mystery Place I Ginny Hall I Walworth County Sunday I Walworth County, Wisconsin, Lake Geneva, Delavan, Elkhorn, Whitewater

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=barn+at+Jackson+farms&aq=f&oq=

also found this post Not in this forum but exact post in a nother foum

the link

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,922005,923152

and this is the Exact Place that hes talking abouts ;D see link ;D :wink:
http://www.walworthcountysunday.com/mystery/

The web info

The barn near the intersection of Salt Box Road and County Highway B marks the location where the small community of South Grove once stood.

The Barn has "Jackson Farm 1847" painted on its side, and at one time housed a stage shop, stable, blacksmith shop and shoe shop.

Best was the first shoe and boot maker in the township, and the community was known as Best's Corners before the name was changed to South Grove because Civil War solders trained at a nearby creek before heading south.

South Grove's most famous resident was John Wesley Powell, who would be the first to explore the Grand Canyon.

He lived in South Grove from 1846 to 1850.

His report, "The Canyon of the Colorado," prompted the government to start the first comprehensive geological survey in the West.

Powell made almost 30 more trips to the area, and was the first to advance the theory that the canyon was carved by wind, water and weather over time.

Powell was born in New York in 1834. From New York, the family moved to Ohio, and in the fall of 1846, moved to Wisconsin.

In 1849, the Powells bought another adjoining piece of land from David Larkin, which gave them a total of 160 acres.

Although the native Americans had ceded this land in 1833, they often came back to camp on the north side of the creek.

Powell would visit them with his mother and two sisters, and learn about the early history of the area.

Powell served in the Union Army and rose in rank from private to lieutenant colonel. He lost his right arm in the Battle of Shiloh in 1862.

After the war, he began his explorations. While exploring the Colorado mountains, he decided to continue by exploring the Colorado and Green rivers.

His 900-mile trip began in May 1869, and after spending three months on the river, he discovered the Grand Canyon.

He directed the U.S Geological Survey from 1880 to 1894, and served as head of the Bureau of Indian Ethnology from 1879 until his death Sept. 23, 1902.

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gettintoknowsomethin said:
I found this info on a sight less then 1 mile from my home! and have gotten permission to detect there!. Its hard to believe such a place has been next to my home and I never knew! Heres what I found, you tell me if I should detect there? (I have edited out the exact location I dont want a stampede)
The barn near the intersection of **** *** **** and County *** * marks the location where the small community of ***** ***** once stood.

Best was the first shoe and boot maker in the township, and the community was known as **** ******* before the name was changed to ***** ***** because Civil War solders trained at a nearby creek before heading south.

***** *****most famous resident was John Wesley Powell, who would be the first to explore the Grand Canyon.

He lived in ***** ***** from 1846 to 1850.

He directed the U.S Geological Survey from 1880 to 1894, and served as head of the Bureau of Indian Ethnology from 1879 until his death Sept. 23, 1902. Also, Union troops trained at the creek here before heading south!. Who knows what treasures I might find here! All the land at this town sight is open and clean of structures. The foundations of the town buildings are still there as well as the wells!. And its never been hunted before!. I put a photo of the barn here I pass it everyday on the way to work.(I NEVER KNEW)

:thumbsup:

Yes your reaserch paid off Thanks I love reading the history about old farms there so great
Thanks

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are a close community here and our neighbors like one another. We are ready for those that trespass against us!
there is no need to threaten anyone its no secret about this place if it were secret it would not be plastered all over the internet
just My $ .02 Worth

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
garrettman64 said:
there is no need to threaten anyone its no secret about this place if it were secret it would not be plastered all over the internet
just My $ .02 Worth
I'm in for a nickel . I didn't view it as a threat . Just a warning to the foolish amongst us ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET sounds like a great place to detect. So what are you waiting for.....Matt

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
garrettman64 said:
just My $ .02 Worth

Some people just can't seem to muster up a sense of humor.
FacePalm_picard.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread