I downgraded and am happy about it!

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
I am new to this hobby and find it MOST ENJOYABLE! I got a new Safari and they threw in a new BH 505 in the deal. I started using the Safari but was finding very little with it. I decided to try out the 505 and WOW! what a difference! I was finding coins everywhere I looked!. So I sold the Safari to my neighbor for $200.00 and only use the 505!. I only wish I had known how good the 505 was before I paid the bucks for that Safari. O well live and learn I guess. At least now I am haveing more finds and more fun!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
:) Nicely written... you'll be roundly attacked soon I'm sure.

I LOVE my 505... I have outstanding finds to prove it's worth also.

Selling the minelab safari for 200 bucks though? That's an expensive outfit! :tard:

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you sold the minelab for $200.00 .......you took a huge loses ........

OP
OP
Gettintoknowsomethin

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
My only regret is my neighbor made me throw in my new headphones in on the deal! Now I have to buy another pair! Used stuff around here isnt worth much but I guess thats life.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why not downgrade?

I think you made an excellent choice. Simple hunting is the best. I dont care how much $$ u put into the detector, you will still end up digging junck too.

Again, its all about the research, not the machine.
Larry

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
:) Nicely written... you'll be roundly attacked soon I'm sure.

I LOVE my 505... I have outstanding finds to prove it's worth also.

Selling the minelab safari for 200 bucks though? That's an expensive outfit! :tard:
sir there is nothing wrong with a bounty hunter 8)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I traded across I guess you might say. Sold my GTI 2500 and took the money and bought a Safari. Now I ain't finding squat either! But don't anyone get your hopes up, I'm not selling it for $200.00! Luckily I have more than one detector and of late I have been relying on my Tesoro Silver Umax. Wish I had waited a year or so to make the trade. I am really beginning to think the Safari has some bugs that need to be worked out.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Thanks for that heads up guys.

Any particulars on the Safari Monty?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larsmed said:
Why not downgrade?

I think you made an excellent choice. Simple hunting is the best. I dont care how much $$ u put into the detector, you will still end up digging junck too.

Again, its all about the research, not the machine.
Larry

Very cool avatar photo! Is that really an underwater Jesus? Do you have any information about it?

OP
OP
Gettintoknowsomethin

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
I dont know why I can find so many coins with that BH505 and not with that Safari I bought but I do! Today, I went out to the local park here and in 1 hour found $14.00 worth of clad!. I guess it was a expensive lesson I learned about this hobby but what can you do. I guess the Safari works OK for some folks but it didn't work out for me. I guess the main thing is I am now having fun detecting! And to top it off my neighbors 11 year old kid is happy with the Safari I sold to his dad! Its nice seeing a little kid happy like that!!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gettintoknowsomething,

Where do you primarily hunt? If it is schoolyards, parks, sand lots and the like, the Bounty Hunter is perfect. My son has one and he cleans up on coins. It won't find a dime at 7 inches in hardpacked soil, but in sand it will, or woodchips. If coinshooting for modern coins, jewelry and other assorted non deep items, that unit is going to pay for itself many times over.

Happy Hunting!

Rick

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Bounty Hunters! :love10: :love7: :love4:
have a different coil on each one......4".......8"......10"

Attachments

• BH.jpg
    BH.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 362
  • BH.jpg
    BH.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 354

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was a bounty hunter and I must confess I found silver and gold with it fairly often! Anyone who knocks good old reliable BH hasn't really taken the time to get acquainted with her. You won't hear me poking fun.

I bought the Safari for a very specific purpose and that is to get deeper on relics. I have been in areas I know there are relics but my other detectors have not been able to go deep enough to pick them up. I must confess my finds with the Safari have been 3 to six inches deeper than with most of my other equipment. I probably just haven't used it in the right places and for the purpose I bought it. Monty

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Monty said:
Well, I traded across I guess you might say. Sold my GTI 2500 and took the money and bought a Safari. Now I ain't finding squat either! But don't anyone get your hopes up, I'm not selling it for $200.00! Luckily I have more than one detector and of late I have been relying on my Tesoro Silver Umax. Wish I had waited a year or so to make the trade. I am really beginning to think the Safari has some bugs that need to be worked out.
Going from a GTI2500 to a safari is like going from an once of gold to an once of silver. What a down grade. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seamuss, well stated by a Garrett fan. I still have an ACE 250 in my arsenal. I hunt in club hunts with planted coins. I have entered the deep silver contest 3 times and never found anything. The planted coins are about 9". Too many times I saw a Minelab guy come right behind me and dig up a coin that I had missed. The 2500 even in all metal would not pick up a coin at 9". It maxed out at about 5" on newly planted coins. Monty

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
"The 2500 even in all metal would not pick up a coin at 9". It maxed out at about 5" on newly planted coins."

Something must be wrong.... those numbers do not sound right. I have a very used and abused Garrett Grand Master Hunter and it does better than that.

Jerry

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is that no one that runs a Garrett as ever won the deep coin contest and I have personally watched 6 of them and participated in four. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread