holeshooter

Mar 2, 2009
Ash Grove Mo.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I would definitely put it in your carry on. You are asking for trouble in one of two ways if you put it in your checked luggage. The first being, it will probably get broken because they man handle suitcases. The second being it will probably get broken. Just make sure you don't put your digger in the carry on. That will be the only thing that gets you stopped. Just to be safe, I take the batteries out of my machine. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any problems with taking your detector through security. I've travelled international with mine and never have encountered a problem...not so much a question.

Oh, I guess a third issue you may run into by packing it in your checked luggage is them losing the baggage like yo mentioned.

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
Philvis said:
I would definitely put it in your carry on. You are asking for trouble in one of two ways if you put it in your checked luggage. The first being, it will probably get broken because they man handle suitcases. The second being it will probably get broken. Just make sure you don't put your digger in the carry on. That will be the only thing that gets you stopped. Just to be safe, I take the batteries out of my machine. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any problems with taking your detector through security. I've travelled international with mine and never have encountered a problem...not so much a question.

Oh, I guess a third issue you may run into by packing it in your checked luggage is them losing the baggage like yo mentioned.

Concerning the batteries, leave them in and bring spares! I don't know what it's like down there but up here in Canada, if you try to bring any electronic device onto an aircraft (even a clock) you have to prove that it works, if not they confiscate it. My dad had to leave behind an alarm clock because the batteries were dead and he didn't have any spares and his friend had to leave behind a portable CD player for the same reason. They were flying from Canada to Suriname.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good advice, Drache :thumbsup:

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best to carry batteries separate but close to detector just to prove it works.then just ask if its ok to leave them in.the ONLY batteries you cannot ship or travel with are lithium batteries.they have been known to leak at high pressures so they are restricted all together.TSA arent all the same everywhere. some are cool and some can be difficult. its a roll of the dice. good luck on your travels. :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you break it down. Leave batteries in it, and have extras. Do not take your digger in your carry on as they will take it saying it is a weapon. Good luck....Matt

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have done this, no knives, shovels obviously with the carryone. They may want you to have the ability to lock it or keep it up front where the Stewardesses keep their stuff. I did this 3 years ago going from CA to GA...I had no problems...MY Whites hardcase did fit in the over head...after a thorough examination of the unit...security allowed me bring it in the overhead...NO way would I put it in the check on stuff...fastest way to lose it...

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The way they're charging for luggage these days, put it in your carry-on bag ON TOP. That way you won't have to disturb your other belongings when they want to check. They are familiar with detectors, and if they can "see" the whole item stretched out in your luggage, they'll let it go. But... no diggers. They're like butcher knives. Check 'em.

Noodle

OP
OP
H

holeshooter

Mar 2, 2009
Ash Grove Mo.
Well, vacations is over. I wanted to let you know that the TSA was ok with detector broken down poles and search coil removed in carry on luggage. I was lucky that my detector would fit in my carryon when broken down. I traveled through airports at Springfield Mo. and ST. Pete/ Clearwater Fl. Found lots of coins and beer caps on the beaches. Had a great time and saw several others out in the early am detecting.

Thanks to all and to this site for your information and help.

holeshooter

digginer

Dec 25, 2009
flew from grand forks n.d. to minneapolis on to dallas,took my md with and all i did was took batteries out

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two years ago I flew into Colorado with my Minelab gold machine to prospect some nuggets in the Mineral belt. When it came through the luggage carousel I was pissed to see that airport security had put the machine through a battle field it seemed. Even though I had it disassembled and packed. Itwasn't good enough. I had to rig my machine to get it functional with duct tape.
After our trip and a day be for boarding out jumbo jet in Denver to fly back to NC Started to become paranoid my machine would not make the trip back.
I then became crafty.
I visited the local snowboarding consignment shop in Frisco CO. Where my friend RGINN lives. I purchased a snow board hard case for 40.00 and packed it with any thing I could find to protect my gold detector for the airlines workers animistic insane loading procedure. I went to the desk, asked for a fragile sticker (which in my opinion just makes the workers toss the item harder) attached it to the snow board case. I then called a priest for the safe arrival of my beeping friend. It worked.

No probs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread