Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't recall seeing this question discussed, but here it is. When old, possibly valuble coins are discovered, should the property owner be notified? I ask this as I'm fairly new to MDing and have had a couple guilty pangs when the owner comes up and asks, "find anything?'
I kept the silver halves in my pocket, and showed off the wheats!

Any input appreciated.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
It's best to have an understanding with the owner before you hunt his property. Some owners will tell you to keep everything, others may want a 50-50 split. If you do a 50-50, don't take turns picking coins. Because if you do it that way, the person who gets first choice has a huge advantage.

Instead, make two stacks and let the owner pick one. One stack might be just one good coin or piece of jewelry, and the other stack everything else you found.

Of course, any jewelry lost by the owner himself (or his family) is returned, and is not part of the choice process.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry a couple of green indian heads in your pocket for occasions like this. If you find any decent coins while out, immediately put them in a different pouch than the rest of your finds. Then offer him up some cruddy wheats, indian heads, and maybe a mercury dime or something.

And when you start hunting a property, don't make some joke about how you guys can split the finds, unless that is the only way to get on to the property.

I've heard too many stories where there was no agreement to split the coins, the finder shows the owner their finds, and the property owner takes everything without even say thanks. They just expect them to be yours, as if you were donating your time to them.

If a property owner says they want to keep half or all of the finds before you start, just move on to the next location, as there are plenty of them out there!

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
danhughes1 said:
It's best to have an understanding with the owner before you hunt his property. Some owners will tell you to keep everything, others may want a 50-50 split. If you do a 50-50, don't take turns picking coins. Because if you do it that way, the person who gets first choice has a huge advantage.

Instead, make two stacks and let the owner pick one. One stack might be just one good coin or piece of jewelry, and the other stack everything else you found.

Of course, any jewelry lost by the owner himself (or his family) is returned, and is not part of the choice process.
Thanks Dan, the problem I have is that 4 out of 5 owners really don't care because they just don't picture valuble finds. I really don't want to advertise the fact. FFD

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Good question - tough to answer!

I am a believer in "What goes around, comes around."

I figure if it's some personal jewelry I would tell the guy, or share some of the coins if he/she asks. On the other hand, we often put out $500 or more for the detector, not to mention the many hours searching, and it's appropriate that we keep at least SOME of the finds, or at least the lion's share of it.

There was a lesson from a recent news story - a fellow found thousands of dollars in the wall of a house he was renovating. The owner and the discoverer got into a big fight. They both lost most of it through court costs. The owner was willing to split it, but the discoverer dug in his heals. I think a little charity would have been beneficial to both of them.

My 2-cents.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I only had one person said he wanted half my finds...I did not find anything but clad...once he saw the condition of the clad ... he said keep it, not worth my while.

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
UncleVinnys said:
I figure if it's some personal jewelry I would tell the guy.

That's my plan. If it is personal jewelry....even if it's gold or diamonds....and I know that the owner has been in this house for a long while.....In my heart I couldn't walk away with it. I'd offer it to him/her even if they didn't ask.

You may think that's contrary to some of the threads I've asked......but jewelry is different in my book. I keep it if it's on public property or on an old abandoned site. But if it's on currently occupied property - I'll give it up.
Coins are different! I find it.....it's mine. So much so that I like the idea of a 'backup goodie bag' of wheats, a merc, and a buffalo to spring on demanding owners. The way I see it, had I not come along....chances are that any coins in the ground would remain in the ground! Owner would never find have known they were there had I not found them.

Someday I'll share my connection/feeling towards long forgotten underground coins. I'd imagine it’s the awe and reflection similar to what relic hunters have towards their finds.

-

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Honesty is the best policy. Anyone god enough to let you work their property deserves an honest answer. If it breaks bad for you, that's just human nature taking it's occasional bad turn.

Cherokee

Feb 17, 2009
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Edge II
Be honest, show them what you've found, and let them pick at least one item of their choosing. Why be deceptive? The future of treasure hunting really depends a great deal on our honesty.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be honest to YOURSELF! If he wants to see your finds, show him ALL of them. Then offer him some or all of it. Who knows. It may be the best investment you ever made, If you count the times he will call you back... or the other places he'll put you on to. This forum, and others, are as big as they are because we share our finds through pictures, places, events, and sometimes even giving away our finds. I've given away many rings, even diamond rings, over the years I've metaldetected. I wonder how many joined us, or bought an md, because of it. Hmmm. TTC

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
anything family I have always returned

most times I am told that a item was lost

if I find 2 silver dollars I give them one as a ty for example

fairtradeguy

Greenie
Mar 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Exp SE's, 10" and 18" coils
That is a great question. Most people are into metal detecting for the monetary gain period. I like the "hunt" but don't really care about how many coins I collect. I take photos of them, post them on my website or here. Most folks don't want anything I find though I offer them my finds. I am really torn about the question of public property and the taking of artifacts from these lands. Last summer some guys (from the west coast) came into our 200 year old village green pulled several dozen coins out of there in a day. I was talking to them and they found some coins dating back to 1810. They didn't have permission, and one part of me was pissed because I wouldn't have the b*lls to hunt a public park without permission. Then I was thinking that the residents of the village were having some of their heritage taken by people out of the area. Would it be ok for someone to go to the old graveyard (right near the park) and take an ornate headstone that was toppled over - probably not. I like detecting, however there is a really creepy crowd who are all consumed by the monetary issue. Anyways- good topic and makes one think.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Fair-trade-guy, why would those guys have needed "permission" to metal detect in the public park? If there is nothing specific to disallow it, then they would be like any other park user, eh? Ie.: does one need "permission" to fly a frisbee? etc.....

I see no connection between coin-hunting and stealing headstones from a cemetary. You lost me on that one. A fumble fingers lost coins (albeit 100+ yrs. ago), is un-like the intentionally set tomb-stone, seen, known, there, etc.... I mean, yeah, if you thought about it long enough and hard enough, I guess you can't even pick a pretty flower, or take the sand home with you that stuck to your shoes? Why even detect if you can never keep anything?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I always offer the land owner to at least look at what I find, most of the time they're not interested.
and the ones that do want to see, thinks it's nice to find something but not interested in keeping anything

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sniffer said:
I always offer the land owner to at least look at what I find, most of the time they're not interested.
and the ones that do want to see, thinks it's nice to find something but not interested in keeping anything

I agree with Tom. Lost coins are "abandonned property". Headstones are not. All the county and city parks in Milwaukee are free to hunt. It is implied, and expected that the hunter will keep his rewards. Personal, returnable, items excepted, I will keep all finds without guilt.Hey Tom.... Did you know it is against the law to pick the CA poppy.... no matter where it is growing??? TTC

S

stefen

Why ask or respond to an ethics question when ethics (and morals) have been trashed or thrown out the window? ::)

fairtradeguy

Greenie
Mar 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Exp SE's, 10" and 18" coils
TerryC said:
Sniffer said:

I agree with Tom. Lost coins are "abandonned property". Headstones are not. All the county and city parks in Milwaukee are free to hunt. It is implied, and expected that the hunter will keep his rewards. Personal, returnable, items excepted, I will keep all finds without guilt.Hey Tom.... Did you know it is against the law to pick the CA poppy.... no matter where it is growing??? TTC

If you dig on public land then you will probably be violating some code in many towns, cities, states. In New York it illeagal to take anything off state land that is older than 50 years. The idea that one can take anything from public land is not valid in many area of the country. My point about the gravestones is that they are on public land and (in this particular case have been abandoned) so with your logic it would be ok to remove those too. Like I said there are some creepy people out there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
fair-trade, you're absolutely right: if you looked into it long enough, you probably would find wording that prevents you from disturbing the vegetation, digging, etc... So for that matter then, what are you doing in this hobby? For that matter, don't make sand castles (lest you dig), or step on the grass (lest you disturb the vegetation), etc... I guess this only leaves you to hunt on private land with permission?

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its fine to keep whatever you find. If the owner was concerned about valuable items he/she would have had the area done by a pro or done it themselves. You dont owe anyone anything. Kepp what you find and tell them your digging trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread