Found a "Hot" Site

Eddie08

Jul 23, 2008
Found a "Hot" Site

Thursday I was over at a coastal city in Florida and saw a bunch of smoke coming from one of those scheduled brush burn-offs that occur every year. This one caught my eye cause it was right up against the dunes on the ocean side and the coastal water way on the other side. Now somehow or other I've got it in my head that this might be a real "HOT" site for detecting. This area of coastline has had a long history of shipwrecks and is just south of one of the oldest cities in Florida. My thinking is that it is an area that has been overgrown for years so it hasn't been hit, it is freshly cleared by the burn off and shipwrecks have been occuring along the coast for hundreds of years. What do you all think? this would be my first metal detecting expedition, should I do it ??

OP
OP
E

Eddie08

Jul 23, 2008
Re: Found a "Hot" Site

Did some research and it's a state park :( and we all know Florida's stand on metal detecting on "thier' land.

pappastratos

Greenie
Apr 13, 2009
Beach !
Detector(s) used
Fisher

Heck yeah, BUT sounds like you are talking south of Melbourne ? Brevard County owns a lot of the beach front property, this probably applies for other counties/cities. I would get out there, early or late, work fast, if ocfficals show up, plead ignorance,,,

OP
OP
E

Eddie08

Jul 23, 2008

The site is near St. Augustine and is a state park. To get to the controlled burn area I would need to hike in about two miles, it is very secluded and out of the way. I was thinking about taking my MD apart and packing it in the bag that my camera's tripod came in so it wouldn't be obvious to the park rangers. I could pack the coil and main box in the camera bag with the rest in the tripod bag. I was also thinking about hitting all the brushed aluminum on my detector with some flat black paint so it wouldn't be as easy to see it from a distance. Just don't know if it would be worth the risk. Of course I could alway ask if I could MD that area :wink:.

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe

Eddie

I say GO FOR IT :icon_pirat:

the camera idea is good...
just make sure you really bring one! :tongue3:

Good luck and make sure to post what u find

Cachefinder-

OP
OP
E

Eddie08

Jul 23, 2008

I'm going to leave this one alone, as was said "Thanks For the Bad Press" Metal Detecting is getting a bum rap as it is and I don't want to give them any more ammo. I'm a new kid on the block and am still learning the ropes. Thanks for the feedback Plehbah, I've tried all the tot lots with no luck at all, any other suggestions for a good hunt?

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

getting caught with a stealthed out detector will also show intent.

Attachments

• DSC00098.JPG
    DSC00098.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC00095.JPG
    DSC00095.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 249

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Find out where the boundaries are and detect the areas outside the park.
I would highly consider not getting caught inside the park with a detector.

I don't think I know of any state where detecting inside a park is legal.
Jail time and equipment confiscation is only part of the scenario.
Just wait till you discover the fines involved.

not to mention the bad rep everyone else who detects will be a part of just because you decided to break the law.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Learn "grasshopper " to kept one's mouth closed......
It's better to say nothing then to open your mouth to tell people how dumb one can be.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

OK, you got him to quit already. All is well on the pc front.

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS

Just a little (FYI) state land does not need to be posted for you to "take the ride" which would be in the back of a patrol car.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread