Why does my ACE 250.....

Mitzki5

Mar 21, 2009
Central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Why does my Ace 250 show 1$ some of the times when it is actually aluminum or Iron. I haven't had it very long but it seems like it will chirp on the far right of the scale sometimes when it is aluminum or iron. Just wondering? Also, the Ace 250 has printing above all the target ID's that looks like this <<<<<<Gold Silver>>>>>> Does that mean that iron and gold will ID as the same thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have had a lot of large iron targets show up in the $1 spot on my ace. You may have you sensitivity set too high. I generally run mine on 4 or 5 unless there are very few targets where I am hunting then I will turn it up to 6 or 7. I have tried running it on 8 but I get way too many false signals. The area under the arrows is where gold will show up on your detector. But don't rely too much on your target ID, if its a really good signal that repeats from different directions I dig it no matter what the ID says it is. You never know whats under the dirt until you look.

Give yourself plenty of time to learn the detector, I love mine and after using it for the last year I can pretty much guess what it is in the ground but I am still surprised at times. Plan on doing a lot of digging until you get better with it, it's definitely worth it.

HH Charlie

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
My Ace, and a couple other detectors, does this sometimes. The Ace will actualy lock on the Gold if the object is heavly rusted. I was told it was because of the oxidation of the rust in the metal. I guess it just doesn't know right where to realy put it.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are getting hits in the dollar range, it is usually a pretty good size target..a piece of pipe or even a can. One way to tell is press the pinpoint and raise your detector in the air. If you get a solid signal with it 4 or 5 inches above the ground, you can pretty well bet it is a junk object. If you are hunting relics..dig it all. If you are in a park or school yard, I would pass it up.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mitzki5 said:
Why does my Ace 250 show 1$ some of the times when it is actually aluminum or Iron. I haven't had it very long but it seems like it will chirp on the far right of the scale sometimes when it is aluminum or iron. Just wondering? Also, the Ace 250 has printing above all the target ID's that looks like this <<<<<<Gold Silver>>>>>> Does that mean that iron and gold will ID as the same thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Look at it this way: there are a gozillion different things made of metal that are under ground. Your detectors has, what, seven or eight little display things that indicate a target? Nails alone come in probably 600 different shapes, sizes and compositions. In spite of what the salesman told you detectors do not detect coins or gold. They detect something conductive in the soil and some will further distinguish between ferrous and non-ferrous metals. That's about it. Even the very expensive ones are limited to that. Youyr detector flashes an icon to tell you something in the soil has characteristics that fall within "gold" or "silver". But an aluminum Coke can at 8'' may be just as conductive as a silver quarter at 3".

The detector is programmed to assume objects all the size of the average coin of average coin composition and buried within 8" of the surface. That's why an aluminum bottle cap sounds like a half dollar. The detector assumes. Better detectors have better circuits and can do some additional processing.

The best bet is to dig everything to learn from your detector. When you find a target sweep it from different directions. Also lift the coil while sweeping to see if the readings change, change from different directions, gradually diminish or abruptly stop. It takes some time to learn how to interpret your own detector.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
so that you can better understand your detector --- detectors make a electrically "charged" feild under coils --as they get close to conductive metals the feild "reacts" to the metal --thats why as the coil gets closer the signal gets stronger *

----differant metals have differant conductivity levels -- some are more so --some less so --- the machine sorts out what type of metal it "thinks" if found by guessing which metal it is based up its reactation *---

now the BAD NEWS *** some targets have very similar coinductivity levels ---like pulltabs and small gold rings ---or foil and small tiny gold items ---or $1 coins and a squashed beer can *--- now the beer can has a much greater size that a dollar silver coin -- so by raising the coil say 3- 4 inches up the coin signal should disappear but the larger beer can if it is one will still show up.

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
I have that on my whites classic 5 ID, it gets a dollar signal sometimes but it never comes back. :ta rd:

Mitzki5 said:

bellapoison

Apr 7, 2009
Kaufman County, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
What an eye-opening thread! I just got my Ace, and it's amazing the techniques I've learned on the forums that aren't in the (albeit tiny) owners' manual.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bellapoison said:
What an eye-opening thread! I just got my Ace, and it's amazing the techniques I've learned on the forums that aren't in the (albeit tiny) owners' manual.

I own a 250 and 300. Both are good machines. Put a silver dollar (don't have one... go buy one... and a silver dime.... indian head penny) on the ground and see what the 250 does. Check out the other coins and LEARN what the machine is telling you. Much trash will give you a good signal but only the coins will make the md sound off like you hit the jackpot! Turn the ENTIRE machine 90 degrees and if you get the same bong bong, dig a good target. TTC

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D Yes I have learned mine and when I Hit Silver it goes Ding Ding Ding an Unmistakeable sound aside from the steel
and other junk each iteam makes differnt sounds get use to the machine learn how it works you will love it ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yep the ice cream truck sound means a treat is on the way.

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
I agree will all the posts about learning your machine (I also have an Ace 250)

BUT...

Be careful you don't outsmart yourself

My best find so far was one I almost didn't dig because I got such a scratchy, raspy signal I just knew it was another piece of foil!
Turned out to be an 18k solid gold man's bracelet. About an inch down in the sand at a freshwater swimming beach. Right at the water's edge, and BOY! Was that ever a crappy signal. So glad I dug it anyway! I only dug it because it was going to be the last one of the day. I was cold and tired and ready to quit.. 'just this last one'... then I was so pumped up I had to hunt for another hour in case there might be something more! (There was. More foil.)

Good Luck & HH
Kilika

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful you don't outsmart yourself

Exactly. We all want the old coins, but the detectors aren't designed to highlight the less conductive patina on deep, old small silvers or the "odd" alloys of the Flying Eagle cents or "fat" early Indian Head cents.

True enough you can rely on the detector(s) for cherry picking coins only, but if you ever hope to dig a 3¢ silver or a $1 or $2-1/2 gold piece you will have to dig some trash. A LOT of trash. That's why it is important you adjust your style to the area you are hunting. I hunt a schoolyard or tot lot much differently than I do a house site or a town park that has been around 150 years. If you are in a trashy site it may pay to skip a lot of trashy hits, but know that some of that "trash" may/will be jewelry and other items you'd enjoy finding.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
exactly -- if your hunting a modern tot lot and "notch" out the "zinc" or cents icon --to"ditch / lose zinc cents"---so you can cherry pick a bit (pre 82 copper cents will still come in but under dime --just like the core of a "clad" dime will) --but if your at a old home site that pre dates 1909 where indain head cents might be and notch out the cents with a ace 250 you very well might miss out on a indian head cent !!

those $1 and $2.50 gold coins will come in under foil -- notch out foil and kiss em bye bye

so you need to know a bit of history on the area your hunting and what was there time frame wize to really tailor your hunting methods to hunt it properly.

on really older but trashy sites where anything might pop up alot of folks go all metal and dig it all --- while others say screw it and switch to "cherry picker mode " ---10 cent icon and above only in custom mode -- and use the raise coil trick to be sure they don't dig aluminum cans .

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curbdiggercarl57 said:
Because it's not a Whites! Had to, THEY made me.

Be careful of the voices in your head, sometimes they're right, but sometimes they tell you to by a White's!! ;D

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
curbdiggercarl57 said:
Because it's not a Whites! Had to, THEY made me.

What's a Whites ??? :icon_scratch:

It's what I had before I found out how good Garrett machines are! :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're finding some good targets and you plan on coming back to that spot over and over again, after gleaning the surface stuff, set the 250 to ALL targets and get the deeper stuff. Yes, you will be pulling out trash but the OLDER coins will be coming out TOO! A metal detector is incapable of lying, you just have to learn what it is TELLING you!. Keep at it! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread