Interference from cell phones

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe just the GSM band phones, such as Cingular & T-Mobile will affect your detector... or any other electronic device with a speaker when you get & receive calls/texts. Both Verizon (my carrier) and Altell have CDMA bands, which do not interfere with other electronic devices. I never turn my phone off while I'm detecting or otherwise.

Bran <><

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bran, thanx for the insight. The way I understand it, as long as you're not in a call, then the phone is only in the receive mode, not the send mode. But yes, once you get into a cell-phone call, you can hear the detector act up with the cross-talk.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem friend. :)
Yeah, mine never does that with Verizon.
I used to have Cingular with the black Motorola Razr, and it set everything off around me when it received any calls or texts... drove me absolutely nuts too!

Bran <><

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Ltr113 said:
Does anybody else turn off their cell phone while detecting? I always leave mine in the truck just in case.
Would a multi-frequency detector be the answer?
Cellphone, you go detecting using a cell phone? How does the cell phone do as a detector? Find any gold with a cell? find any cache cash with a cell? What brand?

Harry(PA)

Greenie
Feb 28, 2007
I was just to Verizon because of an echo / static problem with my Verizon-LG. This was anytime even when detecting.
The lady said it was because the little blue sticker near the mic had slipped a little and caused static and an echo.
She removed it and alls ok.
I lways leave mine on while detecting and never had an interferiance problem.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Bran, thanx for the insight. The way I understand it, as long as you're not in a call, then the phone is only in the receive mode, not the send mode. But yes, once you get into a cell-phone call, you can hear the detector act up with the cross-talk.

Actually cell phones do transmit when in receive mode. When I'm detecting, I hear a little "buh dup buh dup" in my headphones from it occasionally. From what I've been told, they check in with the local relay tower for some reason. If I were the paranoid type, that would bother me -- big brother knowing where I am and all that. :icon_scratch:

scrubber

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
electronic devices (like cell phones) make electronic pluses when they transmit to the towers * as long as they "powered up"-- they do pings * to the cell towers --via pings --your location and where you are / were at what time can be tracked quite easily * ask casey anthony about it * thats how their placing her at certain places at certain times * ---

you see there are gps tracking "chips" inside of cell phones --that why terrorist use "disposible" phones for just one time then ditch em ---to prevent being tracked or having their calling records "pulled up"-- pings tracked *----

when using cell phones you are in effect broadcasting -- thus there is no expectation of privacy they say --that how they get away with eves dropping on cell calls without a "wiretap" order --- using a sealed land line to call you DO have a right to expect the call to be "private" thus the court order is legally required to "legally" listen in --use the info as evidance at trail --with cell phones the goverment can just drop in and listen --no sweat -- the govt spy lords love the fact everyone is using cell phones.

any electronic device can cause issues with the electric feild that detectors make under their coils to find metal ---powerlines are well known for screwing up detectors

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I guess I'm lucky, I've never had a problem with interference from my phone, just Burdie's MD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread