Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some tips, I'm getting frustrated

:-\ So I have had my garrett gtax 550 for about two years now and, I need to know if anyone out there has or has used this machine before? Is there a way to cancel out the bottle top and pull tab reading and still be able to find the good stuff like rings, gold, necklaces and so on? I can put a pull tab on the ground and a gold ring 5 feet away and they both come up as the same toe of reading on my Garrett. it is so frustrating because i wonder how many rings or other pieces of jewelry i have missed because I passed them off as just a pull tab or a bottle top. Can anyone give me some tips??? ???

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: I need some tips, I'm getting frustrated

I'm not too familiar with the 550, but if it has incremental TID (verses just an ascending/descending disc. knob, or wide-category TID sectors), you could certainly try ring enhancement programs, and disc. out the commonly recurring type pulltabs. But you will still get various bent tabs, beaver tails, foil wads, etc.... that don't fit in a tightly defined "tab" TID range. And you will still miss gold rings that happen to hit right in that tab range. Your best bet, if you're in an area littered with aluminum shrapnel, is just to either 1) cherry pick and just go for coins, old silver, etc... lest you go mad, or 2) pick a better hunt site with less junk. Swimming beaches, for instance, have a higher ratio of gold jewelry per aluminum junk, d/t people are frolicking in the water, (where cold water shrinks fingers), frolicking in the sand, lathering up with slippery sun-tan lotion, etc....

If anyone comes on here and says there's a way to pass aluminum, and dig gold, based on sounds, tones, TID, graphs, smears, bars, etc.... then do this: quickly challenge them to take their theories, & go out to the nearest inner city blighted junky park. See how many gold rings they can dig, while passing even a majority of aluminum junk. I'm sure you'll see them quickly retreat from their theories ::) We're all waiting for the day a machine can tell aluminum from gold, and not merely high verses low conductors. When that day comes, we're all going to have a fun time indeed ;)

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thank you for the thorough response, I guess your right about picking a better spot. the only problem is i live in the desert and the ground is either very hard packed clay or on the beaches of lakes there is alot of iron in the dirt which makes my machine all wacky. i will try that though just hunting coins on the junky spots.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

yes I can help you understand -- first one needs to understtand how a metal detector finds and sorts out whats it found --

a metal detector makes an electrical feild under its coil --as the coil is moved towards a metal object in the ground --the metal reacts with this electrical feild --that why the signal gets stronger as you get closer to it --- now depending upon the type of metal its made of its reaction can be -- weak --mid range or strong -- its all due to how conductive the metal is as to how it reacts --- there is a scale--- iron is at one end (low) and silver at the other end (high)

now based upon what reading the machine gets back its sort what you found into what it "thinks" it is -- now the "bad news" --- due to very very similar conductinity ranges ---very tiny gold items tend to ring up as foil --- pull tabs and small womens rings also "ring up alike"--- big mens rings and school class rings tend to come in as nickles --- so if you are in a area where you think theres gold items to be found --you HAVE to dig those signals if you do not want to miss out on gold .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

ok on the iron whacky thing --drop your sen level a bit or up your disc a bit or up the ground balance --so that your machine no longer picks up on the iron in the dirt as a wall of iron and it will "smooth out" and be usible for you ---since iron is the first thing dropped out as you up your disc level -- you should be able to knock it out and still get your gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread