severe back pain from detecting.any ways to avoid ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
well its been a pretty crummy spring weather wise. so i hoped to maximize on things last week when the weather was finally cooperative. got out wed late between storms. the grass had just dried .and i guess the soil had been pretty dry because it was just damp not muddy after the big rain. good digging and i was glad to be out.got about 3.50 clad and a couple interesting items. my tesoro is very light so a planned 90 min hunt turned into 3 hrs 10 min. next morning i got up a little sore and stiff but not bad.i was excited to get back to an older park which is about 30 miles away.closest older spot i know of.an errand b4 detecting was i needed to visit my dump bank aND RETURN COINS. now a thousand dollar bag of coin has 2000 half dollars in it.im not sure how much it weighs.but im used to shouldering same and walking into bank no problem. it seemed like my back kinda slipped a little but no real pain.so off to the old park.so im finally out there. a bit sore but nothin critical. and a course once i get on the trail to find old coins nothin else matters. i promised the wife 3 hours no more. this heavily hammered old park and any old coin is hard to find. finally hit a 49s wheat. after 45 min or so. im not noticing being sore much still. just praying to the silver godz. buncha crap and a few zlincolns. at right around 2 hours i hit a 28 wheatie. nice clear 11-44 on the minelab etrac. yea. only as i straighten up. all a sudden severe back pain. i could barely hobble to the car.got home and went sraight to bed.late in the night HELL WAS IN SESSION. i had to actually crawl to the bathroom. im afraid i used every cuss word i know and invented some new ones. after spending all day friday in bed i was able to hobble to the toilet finally .so the crawl trips are at least over.after sleepinglast night i can hobble to th kitchen for a bite. I SURE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR IF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO OTHERS.ALSO what techniques to minimize detecting fatigue. i live far enuf away from this only older site i know to hunt and want to be able to hunt there for 5 or 6 hrs at a time.once i finally get there.

TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY. one of the clubs im a member of was having a fun hunt today . chances at a detector.5oz silver bar.gold coin .and lotsa silver dimes. and i couldnt go due to this back problem.

how many feelthis might always be weak from now on. or the stress will strenghten the muscles? im 48 yrs old but fat. at another hunt in jan i hunted 7 hours plus finding 243 coins and 1 ring.i was a little sore but nothing like this.

mighty pizzed on missing that hunt.looks like im gonna be flat on my back for a bit.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Sounds like you've got a disc problem back there Scrounger. So I am going to advise you from experience as I have a tough time out there too, but can't resist the Treasure Hunting.

1.) Sucker (I mean talk) someone in going with you and helping you dig

2.) Don't spend so much time out at once. Break up your time with adequate rest periods between.

3.) Avoid too much strain at home to save your back for Treasure Hunting (If you are married good luck on that one)

4.) Buy "Blue Goo"...ahh my favorite stuff. Go to the Walmart topical pain cream aisle. Look on the very bottom shelf. For only $5.00 you can get this miracle blue gunk that works like a dream come true. (contains salicyclate if you are allergic) Do remember Salicyclate builds up in the body, so don't use too much or everyday.

5.) Ice Packs. You can get these great cold packs that you stick in the freezer for about 10 minutes or so and put on your back in the place where it hurts. They will last for many uses unless you bust them. There is a company that makes great ones and makes harnesses that fit around your body to hold them in place (sorry forgot their name, but I will try to find it)

6.) Do what comes naturally to relieve pressure or pain. Maybe getting into the recliner, or sleeping flat on your back.

7.) Get a metal detector where the control box detaches and can be worn on the hip. Weight and the strain of repetitive swinging puts a strain on the back.

Hope this helps !

itmaiden

Dirt Junkie

Jan 31, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I feel for ya!
I can't say MD'ing has caused my back pain, but it sure has put a damper on my swing'in time. I was layed up all last week recouping from lower back pain... three days crawling around followed by three days of some good meds... feel'in much better now. I'm headed to the Delaware beaches (Dewey, Coin beach, Lewes) tomorrow for a week and hopefully some pain free swing'in time. I'm taking the meds with me just in case.

--Dirt Junkie

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Started stretching every morning about 10 years ago. It greatly reduced the number of back injuries for me.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
If you could see my MRI's you'd have to consider me an expert in this field. Sounds to me like you may have a slipped/ruptured/compressed or otherwise compromised disk. Start with a good Dr. Do not take any muscle relaxers they are the worst thing for you. Start Physical therapy asap. Also for any of you who are as prone to this as I am. The best meds are not pain killers But a med called Predniszone, I call it "pregnant zone", just so I can remember it. Ask your Doc for it He/ she will know exactly what I'm talking about and will see the point. It is a very strong steroidal anti-inflamitory med that will have you up and moving within two to three days vs a 10 days or more. BTW these things can be improved and possibly prevented by some very simple exercises and stretches, which you'll learn about in Physical therapy. Don't wait until it gets really bad as I did and end up with multiple surgeries. I have so far a total of 9 ruptured disks and several more compressed all my injuries come from a car crash where my back was broken. The resulting surgery has intensified a severe case of degenerative disk disease. But I use a small amount of pain meds along with the stretching toning exercises and manage the pain enough to not yet be in a wheel chair. :P

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
sqwaby said:
Started stretching every morning about 10 years ago. It greatly reduced the number of back injuries for me.

Along with some simple stretches, try a few leg lifts every morning as well - strengthens the muscles of the lower back and helps keep the left & right sides in balance. Just lie on your back on the floor and raise both legs together a few inches off the floor. Hold for a count of 10, take a few seconds break, and repeat. Do this several times. Over weeks, you will be able to increase the hold time to 30 seconds or so. The difference it can make is tremendous.

The way it was explained to me is many of the muscles that hold our spine in alignment are in a 'tug of war' against each other. As long as they're balanced, all is good. One gets fatigued, or injured and the balance is thrown off resulting in a slight twist to the vertabrae, which causes PAIN.

Diggem'

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Taking grandkids that are flexible and low to the ground and are amazed by 'Pappy's "magic" and teaching them how to dig works for me .

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have to agree with the therapy and exercise group. You need to stretch those back muscles. "pregnant zone"...(lol) could be a good option for some immediate relief.

I got degenerative back disease...doesn't bother me much...yet...

Best thing my doc told me was working the legs to work the back. Put a leg up on a chair and try to touch your toes. easy and slow...little at a time. Usually take a hot shower first to relax the muscles some.

But by all means...go get it checked first to see what exactly your problem is. Could be muscular or spinal.....nothing you really want to second guess.

Al

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am legally totally disabled due to a back injury. Every time I go out I suffer for it the next day. I bought a short kkhandled small shovel tkype digger where I don't have to go all the way down on my knees in places where I can use it. That helps a lot, but there is just no way you can dig some targets without going all the way down. The ups and downs is what kills me the most. And in some places, you just can't use the little shovel thing as it would cause objections from grounds keepers , etc. Sometimes I will spot and put a golf tee painted orange in several places that are close together and just stay down and crawl from one to the other and dig with my Gator tool. That way I am not continually up and down. I just don't know what else I can do. Monty

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
hey guys, thanx for all ur concern and the joke made me feel better,too. after 2 days of get up for toilet and eating only i am starting to feel a little better. the pain isnt as bad and i can walk for a few minutes without holding onto chairbacks and door frames.

while weve all heard about how u never know what ugot til its gone. here a serious wake up for me. at this point it looks like this is only a temp setback. how sorry i am to hear of those of u who are truly hurting. if i can get out again w/o pain ill be mighty thankful. and 3 CHEERS for disabled hunters who go anyway.

ill try and strengthen my muscles slowly.hopefully avoiding this in future. and more careful lifting. not out of the woods yet by any means.will keep u posted.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hey Scrounger,
Like the others I had low back problems until I finally wound up with sciatica.
Take my word for it you don't need that. After suffering at work for years I
got fusion surgery and finally the pain stopped except for occasional sciatica.
The Doc said my vertebra was undeveloped from birth so I was bound to
keep getting bulging disc pain. MRI's and CAT scans never showed the
basic problem but surgery did.
The way I dealt with back pain and MDing was to learn to keep back straight
by bending with the knees. Like Monty I've done my share of crawling around
on the ground.

lastleg

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scrounger, I have a friend who throws freight for a living in a night crew at a retail megastore. He's dealt with back problems all his life and wears a back support made for that kind of activity. They're similar to weightlifter's belts but have a little more total support, I think. I'd consider one of those. Also, I'd suggest learning appropriate stretching exercises for the back to do just prior to starting and after finishing your hunt. Of course consult a back doc and get healed up first. Good luck.

scrubber

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
So would you recommend not getting surgery as I have multiple spine issues ?? Were your surgeries the new micro-surgeries or the traditiional "hack up your back" surgery ?

itmaiden

MD Dog said:
If you could see my MRI's you'd have to consider me an expert in this field. Sounds to me like you may have a slipped/ruptured/compressed or otherwise compromised disk. Start with a good Dr. Do not take any muscle relaxers they are the worst thing for you. Start Physical therapy asap. Also for any of you who are as prone to this as I am. The best meds are not pain killers But a med called Predniszone, I call it "pregnant zone", just so I can remember it. Ask your Doc for it He/ she will know exactly what I'm talking about and will see the point. It is a very strong steroidal anti-inflamitory med that will have you up and moving within two to three days vs a 10 days or more. BTW these things can be improved and possibly prevented by some very simple exercises and stretches, which you'll learn about in Physical therapy. Don't wait until it gets really bad as I did and end up with multiple surgeries. I have so far a total of 9 ruptured disks and several more compressed all my injuries come from a car crash where my back was broken. The resulting surgery has intensified a severe case of degenerative disk disease. But I use a small amount of pain meds along with the stretching toning exercises and manage the pain enough to not yet be in a wheel chair. :P

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Micro is the latest. I just had it done for a cervical disk. They went in through the front right side of my neck and placed a ceramic scaffold which is supposed to build bone around it. That was 8 weeks ago and It's supposed to be completely done by 16 weeks. If it works I plan on another operation in the fall for my lower back. I've already tried the traditional, spinal laminectomy with poor results.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had my second bout, where my back went "out?" I don't know where it went, but what it left me with was P A I N......
Doctor first. Let the Doc try to determine, through x-rays/MRI what is the matter. Me, lower back problems, degenerated disc, etc. You know the drill.
Started Physical Therapy. But, also had the doc tell me to TAKE some pain pills.......to get rid of the inflammation. Pain begats more pain. Getting rid of
the pain will reduce the chance of more pain. So, I'm on Tylenol Arthritis Pain relievers......began with the max dose....2 pills 3 times a day. But in just a few
days, was able to cut it to two times a day, and am now down to once a day. Also, began to have better posture, and began using better lifting techniques.
Also, began taking Osteo Bi-Flex......anything with Chondroitin. Supposed to rebuild some of the joints and damaged areas. Haven't had any pain to speak
of, for about 3 months. (I can't take anything stronger, as it makes it impossible to drive and teach in my classroom.)
I am 64, turning 65 in October. So, how much rebuilding the Chondroitin will do is up for grabs. All I know is, that I am able to drive, work, and METAL
DETECT, HIKE THE HILLS IN KOREA, and FIND COINS AND ARTIFACTS.......and that's enough.
Best of luck to you, guy. When I went down, I had to be carried down the stairs of my school by one of my students, driven home, and packed up the
stairs into my home.......know where you been, and it's no fun.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
"When" it hurts long enough and bad enough, you will go to a Doctor (or three) and find out how bad your problem really is. If it hurts bad enough you will allow whatever it takes to get it taken care of. This may include a bunch of stuff you may not like , or enjoy, but is necessary. I have been there and done it, and say this in all conceren for you. If you do have some serious damage causing your pain it will not cure itself, except only enough to allow you to continue on , causing even worse damage. I have been there and done the back stuff,(in 63) heart stuff, (twice) and the colon stuff. I am almost 72 and have been detecting for 40 years and plan to do plenty more. First thing any Dr. will tell you is to loose that weight, and that may be your whole problem. If so, that would really be cool. Whatever Drs. you wind up with, just be sure one of them is God, cause he can get the job done. I know that for a fact.

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
well.im feeling quite a bit better now. tuesday went to the lake and slow walk about half mile.some stffness during the night. yesterday my first detecting again. 45 min got me a quarter , no cash valu token, silver color money clip, 7 small coins and couple brass fittings. little less sore last night.today no real pain. out about 8 hours shopping and driving.didnt try any more detecting yet.i dont wanna push it. prob a lot of u think i am already. im an active gut i hate to sit still.

good luck to u all who are battling back disease. hopefully if i build slower and do the stretching i wont be bothered again

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Im only 40 and my back still goes out now and then.usually its from lifting something that wasnt really heavy or bending over wrong..I think its how u move when carrying things or not being stretched out enough before u do it.Seems ive hurt myself the worst just twisting the wrong way.Hope u feel better.Try the swingy thingy when u detect.helps relieve the detector weight.other than that dont be lifting huge bags of coins hehe.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.........Well 1st of all go to your doctor and get checked out.........Your doctor can prescribe some pain pills...if it is just some wild spasums......... hopefully you will not need surgery.........Now if it is a pain that you have to live with.......I would carry my pain pills with me........at least leave them in your vehicle when you go detecting .......so access is easily available........get a trowel size digger......but with a 3 foot or so shaft.......that way you do not have to go all the way down to the ground when you are digging........the ups and downs of digging are probably what aggravates your back the most!!......Good luck and HH......Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread