one predator down (may be gross to some)

Likely Guy

As far as attacks on people, usually what we have is a 'people problem' or 'urban sprawl' into previously remote areas. As people and coyotes come into closer contact because of that, we have to educate ourselves and our children.

The reason they're in your neighborhood is because there's a food source. Cut off their food source (i.e. feed your pets indoors, secure your garbage & compost) and they'll move on.

From: http://www.theconservationagency.org/coyotes/coyote_bytes/coyote_bytes.htm

"Unlike deer, coyotes adjust their own population numbers based on food availability. More food results in more puppies per female; less food means fewer."

For a list of the most recent coyote attacks: http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/coyote_attacks.html

While the list appears scary, most of the incidents end; "Apparently, people had been feeding coyotes in the area", "Neither child was seriously hurt", "...but did not break his skin", "bitten in the buttocks by a possible coyote" and "The school is surrounded by hillsides where homes are being built, destroying the natural habitat of the coyotes." Yes, scary stuff, if you have children, though usually the worst injuries are puncture wounds.

In short, you're far more likely to be attacked and killed by a domestic dog than be attacked by a 'wild' coyote.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
that was very big of you, well done :thumbsup:

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
index[4].gif

Attachments

• index[4].gif
    index[4].gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 386

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Coyotes are an unprotected species in MN, you don't need a license to hunt them. They are fun to hunt, and give a good challenge. I have seen them chase deer, I have seen them kill dogs. I doesn't bother me one little bit to blast them from 250 yds. Good shooting buddy :thumbsup:

John

Likely Guy

Hey John,

blurr said:
Coyotes are an unprotected species in MN, you don't need a license to hunt them. They are fun to hunt, and give a good challenge. I have seen them chase deer, I have seen them kill dogs. I doesn't bother me one little bit to blast them from 250 yds. Good shooting buddy :thumbsup:

John

Let's agree to disagree on this one Blurr.

As an aside: Around here, I've seen more domestic dogs chase down the game than respectable predators. (All the fault of the irresponsible dog owner)

For you, and for me, it's a different environment.

Brian

P

pippinwhitepaws

" We were eating lunch on a high rimrock, at the foot of which a turbulent river elbowed its way. We saw what we thought was a doe fording the torrent, her breast awash in white water. When she climbed the bank toward us and shook out her tail, we realized our error: it was a wolf. A half-dozen others, evidently grown pups, sprang from the willows and all joined in a welcoming melee of wagging tails and playful maulings. What was literally a pile of wolves writhed and tumbled in the center of an open flat at the foot of our rimrock.

In those days we had never heard of passing up a chance to kill a wolf. In a second we were pumping lead into the pack, but with more excitement than accuracy; how to aim a steep downhill shot is always confusing. When our rifles were empty, the old wolf was down, and a pup was dragging a leg into impassable side-rocks.

We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes—something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
aldo leopold, thinking like a mountain

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Likely Guy said:
Hey John,

blurr said:

John

Let's agree to disagree on this one Blurr.

As an aside: Around here, I've seen more domestic dogs chase down the game than respectable predators. (All the fault of the irresponsible dog owner)

For you, and for me, it's a different environment.

Brian

That we can do. I too have watched domestic dogs run down deer. They are shot too, legally by the way.

John

P

pippinwhitepaws

“I now suspect that just as a deer herd lives in mortal fear of its wolves, so does a mountain live in mortal fear of its deer. And perhaps with better cause, for while a buck pulled down by wolves can be replaced in two or three years, a range pulled down by too many deer may fail of replacement in as many decades. [prgrph] So also with cows. The cowman who cleans his range of wolves does not realize that he is taking over the wolf’s job of trimming the herd to fit the range. He has not learned to think like a mountain. Hence we have dustbowls, and rivers washing the future into the sea.” (p 140).

Likely Guy

Hey PWP, I agree with you.

Kill all the coyotes, then we'll complain about all the rabbits... ad infinitum. (For others: Kill a spider, complain about the flys, etc.)

Sadly,
We're the only cognizant organism on Earth that knows the damage we do, and continue to do so.

P.S.: I guess that I have the luxury to sound all high and mighty, because I too, live in the middle of 'nowhere'.

P

pippinwhitepaws

i do not believe it is a 'high an mighty' attitude...
it is called down to earth.

:thumbsup:

Likely Guy

Last thought,

There's as many views and opinions on this subject, as there are people that view it. Therefore, never condemn - and keep an open mind. (P.S. HEAVY DUTY ON THE OPEN MIND PART.)

We all deserve to co-exist. Coyotes, jumping spiders, gently tossed cats, bats & butterflys, humans, included!

And for what it's worth, there is only a 'good' shot, if there was one.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I raise chickens and turkeys (and rabbits, but they're pretty well protected) and any coyote (or fox) seen on the premises is awarded a small metal for their effort. About 0.224" in diameter and moving about 3,100 feet per second.

Lost our "pet" turkey hen, Wilma, to a coyote last month. She would walk behind me whan I tilled the gardens grabbing the worm bits. Coyotes may not bother healthy calves at their mother's side, but they'll tear a turkey to shreads if they can a catch it; and everything eats chickens and especially small chicks. Poor Wilma had a bad habit of sleeping on low branches at night. Fred, the tom, was in mourning for weeks - in spite of what some may say about animals lacking feelings. I'm sure coyotes have feelings, too. That's why I try to be quick and thorough and do not set out traps or poison.

I don't hate coyotes. I'd kill a burgler in my house or a tick on my dog with the same remorseless sense of purpose. It's not about hate or aggression. It is basic sheparding for those under your protection.

We all deserve to co-exist. Coyotes, jumping spiders, bats & butterflys, included!

I leave spiders alone - but not in the house (though I will allow jumping spiders - they're kind of fascinating to watch).

Coexistance is fine as long as an adequate distance is kept. I figure I'm good for 300 yards. ;-)

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
Do coyotes eat buried caches? That's all I want to know. :tard:

LD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread