DONT toss the "trash" while in the field!

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
DON'T toss the "trash" while in the field!

We all dig it, we all see it, and I HOPE we all pick it up and dispose of it properly. But, don't dispose of it in the field (proper trash container of course). Get a PERFECT ID on it as trash before you toss it.

I've been going to a little known location of late that just promises to pay off at some point once I get past all of the "juncque" that is on, and just under, the surface. This evening while I was out I once again found a "junk piece" of aluminum. I put it in my pouch to toss in the trash bin back by the old house and went on MDing around what I think is an old barn area.

After finding little more I decided to call it a day. The "junk piece was forgotten in my pouch until I got home. I was about to pitch it when the light hit it just right and I decided to wash it off and see what it was. As I began to wash it and get the mud off of it I could see that there was a definite pattern on the "star"shaped portion of it and it swiveled around to the "bent up" portion of the "junk".

After looking at it a bit more I now think that this is NOT aluminum and isn't junk either. This was tooled (machined more than likely) and probably came off of a harness or something. But, the swiveling piece doesn't "line up" as I would think it should. Basically, I have no clue what this is.

Not gold, and not anything real important I'm sure, but this is some of the stuff I love to find, old things!

Now, if I had thrown it away back at the old house I wouldn't have anything to ponder and keep me awake tonight! :icon_scratch:

I plan to clean it a bit more tomorrow and see if I can find any identification marks on it.

dunno001.jpg

dunno002.jpg

dunno003.jpg

swivel.jpg

Grip

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
Re: DON'T toss the "trash" while in the field!

u r correct.

that is some very interesting "junk"

LD

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've "retrieved" several burnt sterling silver pieces of flatware, and some interesting inscribed items, as well. yep, always go through your trash.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good advice there....

A month or so ago I was detecting in a park and hit a patch of can slaw. Got an odd signal and pulled up a very muddy something that resembled can slaw.

Almost stuck it in the trash side of my pouch but after wiping some mud....saw the distinct outline of a cross....some detail....

Turned out to be a pretty old victorian sterling silver cross.

Almost didn't dig it....so I would add...dig them signals...you just never know.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread