Making money with your treasure hunting hobby

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Another post here discusses making money with your hobby, and it concentrates on finding lost articles.

Three times I've tried to turn my metal detecting hobby into a business, but not by finding things.

Here's what I did:

The first time was by writing articles for the treasure magazines. It was a ton of fun writing and taking photos for the articles. I had been a wedding photographer and newspaper photographer, so the pictures were easy. I had been writing all my life, too, so writing about treasure hunting came pretty naturally. And the editors liked my stuff and bought it all and even printed it without changing anything, which was great. But it took so long to get paid,, and the pay was pretty low. Yes, it's a real hoot to see your work in print, but I quit doing that when the main magazine I wrote for went out of business and my real job (teaching radio broadcasting and writing and hosting a TV show) took up more and more of my time.

The second time, I became a detector dealer. Didn't make much money with that one, but didn't lose any, either. Which is better than a lot of people who try something like that can say. I enjoyed having a lot of detectors to play with, too, and I learned a lot about all the different brands. But I finally quit selling detectors when my distributors' prices went up, and Kellyco was selling them cheaper than I (as a dealer) could buy them.

The third time was writing my book (http://metaldetectingmanual.com). Rather than submit it to a publisher and wait six months to hear back, and then another year or two for the book to be published, I just published it myself. And rather than let distributors, dealers, and bookstores take most of the profit, I decided that the only way for anyone to get it is through my website. If Amazon or Borders wants a copy, they pay the same price you pay, and they have to buy it directly from me.

The result of this rather unorthodox method of bookselling is that I sell far fewer copies of the book than if I sold it through regular channels, but I earn about four times as much money on each copy that I sell. AND, I had it on the market just two weeks after I finished writing it, instead of the normal two years.

I don't make a lot of money from the book, certainly not enough to live on. A major weakness of my business model is that I have just one product - the book - so I don't have much repeat business. (Though once in a while a customer comes back to buy another copy for a friend or relative). It sells slowly but steadily, and that's fine with me. I love being an author, seeing my book in print, and especially hearing the positive comments I get from readers.

I might mention my fourth endeavor, my treasure podcasts (http://thetreasurecorner.com). I don't make any money from them, since they are free for anyone to hear, but when I retired from radio I missed the microphone and this feeds my addiction in that regard. It also keeps my writing skills up, because I fully script every show. And I get a lot of positive comments on the program, which keeps me going.

Why do all this if it isn't bringing in enough to pay all my bills? For the same reason we metal detect! We love it!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, pretty good reasons behind it all. Neat endeavors you've introduced yourself into as well! :)
I do thoroughly enjoy listening to your podcasts... and have checked out your book description also.
Once I get settled down here and secure a job, I'll have to get a copy from you. It'll fit fine in my meager THing collection.

In the meantime, keep up the good work on everything! If I ever end up writing a book (always wanted to, just never knew what it would be about), I'll probably shoot some questions your way....

Bran <><

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
Very cool.

I've actually been brainstorming for ideas to turn passions into income myself. What I love about this is how in being different we all find our own unique niches for making it work.

I'm kicking around (as one possibility at this point) giving metal detector lessons for all the people who've shown an interest as I've gotten more into it. Some friends say there wouldn't be enough there to make it work but they miss the point. It would be a little trickle towards the larger goal AND it would be a heck of a lot of fun.

The way I see it...a boatload of activities, each making a small amount of income and being a hoot to boot. There are worse ways. :)

LD

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
LD, you CAN make money from training people, if you do a group at a time. I do this myself. So I should have listed my fourth way to make the hobby pay - I give seminars on metal detecting. I did it through my college when I was teaching, and now that I'm retired I do it in my wife's art studio classroom. Complete details in podcast number 015 here:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

---Dan

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
Thanks Dan, I'll check it out.

LD

Note: Gave it a listen--really good for generating ideas. I saved your podcasts page in my favorites and I'll be listening to more as time permits. Some of them look particularly interesting.

Thanks.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mean to be sarcastic, but if you are doing all that and still can't pay the bills, perhaps you need to rethink. Sounds to me like you aren't making a living metal detecting, rather making a living from metal detectorists. That's fine too, nobody expects to enter the hobby for free but you still need to pay the bills. You seem to be a very upbeat guy with an entuperaneral spirit, and your ship just hasn't come in yet. But you seem to be having fun, and that's important. I think you will be able to pay the bills if you don't diversify too much and take on more than you can handle at one time. Dang, I sound like Ann Landers, no wait, she's dead, I mean her daughter. But is just paying the bill enough or do you want more? You gotta' think about what shape you'll be in when you reach my age (almost 65). Unfortunately I never got rich but I have 3 sources of income and don't lift a finger and I can pay the bills. It's no secret, just look far, very far ahead. It sneaks up on you. M :o nty.

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
Hey Monty,

In my case I'm real close to doing as you suggest. It probably will end up being three things that I enjoy doing that have a decent profit margin. I mainly work on weekends as an entertainer but I need to be busier during the week. I'd rather "do my own thing" if possible (I am a realist, believe it or not) and I like the idea of doing things I enjoy.

I've made an extremely long list (the Tony Robbins approach--I think) and am rapidly whittling it down to practical stuff (practical for me, anyway). This forum has assisted me greatly in the endeavor.

I've got a little more time before I have to "detect or get outta the park" so I'm gonna kick this dog around a little bit more 'cause I'm still coming up with extremely cool possibilities and this part of the process is rather fun.

Thanks for the insight.

LD :)

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Monty, I should have been more clear. I'm almost 62, and my monthly college pension check enables me to live comfortably. I haven't tapped social security yet but am thinking about it, and all the metal detecting activities I described above I do for fun. I don't expect any ships to come in from those endeavors.

If they bring in a little bit of income, so much the better. Even if they didn't, I'd still do them because I love them. I think I'm just a little bit ahead of the great majority of people our age who spend their lives in front of the television set. They don't make money from that, and they don't care. That's how I see my myriad activities. Any profit is a pleasant bonus, but as long as it's fun I'll keep doing it regardless of profit (or lack thereof).

Thanks for your note! Would you mind describing your 3 sources of neverending income? Sounds like a winner....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
danhughes1 said:
LD, you CAN make money from training people, if you do a group at a time. I do this myself. So I should have listed my fourth way to make the hobby pay - I give seminars on metal detecting. I did it through my college when I was teaching, and now that I'm retired I do it in my wife's art studio classroom. Complete details in podcast number 015 here:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

---Dan

I should start charging to put people through the IRON Brigade Training Course. :)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My error in assuming you were a youngster. I wish I had your energy. I only wish I had the good health to get out and do more myself. Now I envy you! Keep on keeping on. Monty

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
If you want to make alittle money treasure hunting start with a whole lot. I am not complaining. Drink, whore and gamble the rest of money I just wasted!

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Monty said:
My error in assuming you were a youngster. I wish I had your energy. I only wish I had the good health to get out and do more myself. Now I envy you! Keep on keeping on. Monty

Monty, good health is a wonderful gift. I went to my high school reunion (class of 1965), and so many of the folks there looked like my great-grandpa. Several were in poor health. I count myself lucky that I'm still playing softball three times a week, still holding my own against the 20-somethings who think they are hotshots. (Though I'm a pitcher, so I don't have to do a lot of running).

My parents are both in their eighties and doing fine, so I'm hoping my genes are as good as theirs.

---Dan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just the opposite Dan. The men in my family all die young and every one with heart disease. The women, that's a different story. My Grandmother just died two years ago . She died one day short of her 103rd birthday. All the other women have lived into their 90s. I was athletic and a very fast sprinter and played baseball and softball into my 50s and then the bottom fell out. Since hitting 50, it has been downhill. But no matter how hard they try the doctors can't seem to kill me off! Good for you! Monty

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Monty, about five years ago my doctor told me I had type 2 diabetes, and that I needed to lose some weight. I went on a modified Adkins diet (modified it myself), and quickly dropped from 185 to 150 pounds.

And get this - as my weight dropped, my diabetic symptoms disappeared, and now I'm healthier than I have been in decades, no pills, no medicine, no shots.

Here's what I wrote about that:

http://danhughes.net/dansdiet.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread